Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 08-25-2017, 04:55 AM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Sorry for whining like that. I was going to delete that part of my post by you already replied so I left it as is.

Yes indeed. I have enjoyed many a bumbleberry pie here in Canuckland.

The problem of words attaching to -berry/berries is far worse than I imagined. I just saw checkerberries(!) this morning. lol From Wikipedia: "Other common names for G. procumbens include American mountain tea, boxberry, Canada tea, canterberry, checkerberry, chickenberry, creeping wintergreen, deerberry, drunkards, gingerberry, ground berry, ground tea, grouseberry, hillberry, mountain tea, one-berry, partridge berry, procalm, red pollom, spice berry, squaw vine, star berry, spiceberry, spicy wintergreen, spring wintergreen, teaberry, wax cluster, and youngsters."

There's some intel for you Spike. haha Who da thunk???
Wow! Checkerberries is the bomb.
Hmm . Wonder how much usage boxberry gets....

Enjoy!
TR

Vent if you want to. The vagaries of boggledom can drive anybody up the wall. (Where toasters fear to go)

Last edited by TurtleRace : 08-25-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:51 AM

Spike1006 is an unknown quantity at this point

I assume that chuckberries is next.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:51 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleRace View Post
Vent if you want to. The vagaries of boggledom can drive anybody up the wall. (Where toasters fear to go)
lol TR. Thanks for being gracious. I'm doing better today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1006 View Post
I assume that chuckberries is next.
lol Spike. I've heard that after you eat them you have an urge to hop backwards on 1 foot.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:21 AM

I saw GNOMICALLY on a board today and thought "Why not?" 14 pts and new best/longest word records! lol, rather comical I thought. You just never gnome when a word will be valid in this game. I first envisioned little plastc figures that people gnomically place in their gardens but it turns out it is much more!

Definition of Gnomic

1. a. Sententious; uttering or containing maxims, or striking detached thoughts; aphoristic.

1. Adjective. Of, or relating to gnomes.

2. Adjective. (context: of a saying or aphorism) Mysterious and often incomprehensible yet seemingly wise.

1. resembling or containing aphorisms [adj]

Ultimately I eclipsed the record with ASTRONOMICALLY (16 pts) but I will think of the goofier word with a certain fondness.

PS: We supposedly have the world's largest gnome at a Chevron gas station a few miles from here. We once stopped and took pictures of it. Little did we surmise that we had immersed ourselves in a gnomical experience there.
For those of you who are dying to see it here's a link:
[url]https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1088&bih=523&q =world%27s+largest+gnome+vancouver+island&oq=world %27s+largest+gnome+vancouver+island&gs_l=img.3...2 535.23288.0.24030.39.39.0.0.0.0.220.3640.22j13j2.3 7.0....0...1.1.64.img..2.21.2151.0..0j0i8i30k1j0i2 4k1j0i30k1.0BUI0NW7rVI#imgrc=H9puknLAdbt3MM:[/url]

Last edited by lalatan : 08-25-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:38 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

I thought about adding a joke about Marion Berry, but it turns out that marionberry is really a thing. (A Marion blackberry.) No idea if it works here though.

Way off topic, but for any Wordtwist players along the Texas coast, I wish you the best (not that you're likely to be playing at the moment).

Last edited by Spike1005 : 08-25-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:01 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
PS: We supposedly have the world's largest gnome at a Chevron gas station a few miles from here. We once stopped and took pictures of it. Little did we surmise that we had immersed ourselves in a gnomical experience there.
For those of you who are dying to see it here's a link:
[url]https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1088&bih=523&q =world%27s+largest+gnome+vancouver+island&oq=world %27s+largest+gnome+vancouver+island&gs_l=img.3...2 535.23288.0.24030.39.39.0.0.0.0.220.3640.22j13j2.3 7.0....0...1.1.64.img..2.21.2151.0..0j0i8i30k1j0i2 4k1j0i30k1.0BUI0NW7rVI#imgrc=H9puknLAdbt3MM:[/url]
In Kansas (my part-time home) we have the world's largest ball of twine, the world's largest prairie dog, and the world's largest hand-dug well. (I'm sure there are other largest things, but I can't think of them at the moment. Possibly the world's longest stretch of highway with nothing interesting to see.) I'd love to see somebody do the gnome-kidnapping thing & send back pictures of it on the Eiffel Tower, in the Coliseum, on the Great Wall...

Last edited by Spike1005 : 08-25-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1005 View Post
In Kansas (my part-time home) we have the world's largest ball of twine, the world's largest prairie dog, and the world's largest hand-dug well. (I'm sure there are other largest things, but I can't think of them at the moment. Possibly the world's longest stretch of highway with nothing interesting to see.) I'd love to see somebody do the gnome-kidnapping thing & send back pictures of it on the Eiffel Tower, in the Coliseum, on the Great Wall...
I think I saw the ball of twine in the Guiness Book of Records years ago. We have a province in Canada that's a northern extension of the Great Plains. One guy who had to drive across it because he couldn't afford to fly over it quipped, "It's so flat that, if you look intently into the distance, you'll see the back of your head." haha
I recalled this article from years past when you mentioned Kansas and thought you might enjoy it. They prove scientifically that, contrary to popular belief, Kansas is not flatter than a pancake...
[url]http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume9/v9i3/kansas.html[/url]

Last edited by lalatan : 08-26-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:14 AM

Spike1006 is an unknown quantity at this point

lalatan,

Thanks for the reference, but it looks like you got it backwards. They show that Kansas is flatter than a pancake (or, as they put it mathematically, it's "damn flat"). I could swear that I've seen flatter stretches in western Oklahoma or Texas. Anyway, it'll be a while before I can make the drive & not think about pancakes.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1006 View Post
lalatan,
Thanks for the reference, but it looks like you got it backwards. They show that Kansas is flatter than a pancake (or, as they put it mathematically, it's "damn flat"). I could swear that I've seen flatter stretches in western Oklahoma or Texas. Anyway, it'll be a while before I can make the drive & not think about pancakes.
Yeah, I messed it up. Should have said "not flat as a pancake," as you know. Kind of gave it away there.

Last edited by lalatan : 08-27-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:48 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness
Cool

EQUESTRIENNES (19 pts.)
I mean, I can see how it works, I just didn't expect it to.