Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 10-04-2017, 09:41 AM

flops has received several accolades

The only thing I can tell you about tomorrow (which is today), is that you didn't win the lotto....sorry! Without wanting to upset anyone's sensibilities, I can also tell you that Donald Trump tweeted something, but I won't spoil the surprise.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:50 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Good story! I've never really tried to make myself flat, but that sounds like the perfect situation to try it.

While black bears tend to be more timid, back in June, a camp counselor & wilderness survival instructor was camping not far from Denver & woke up to find a black bear had clamped onto his head & was dragging him away. Others managed to scare it away, and later the guy was shown a bear & he identified it as the culprit. (Do they have bear lineups? "It was the third bear from the left. Yes, the one with the tattoos.") Anyway, that's rare here. The biggest problem seems to be bears getting into cars, shutting the door behind themselves, and then tearing up the interior. One recently managed to release the brake & run into a tree at the bottom of the driveway. Edit: I think the bear also managed to remove the steering wheel, which is probably why he/she couldn't avoid the tree.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 10-04-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flops View Post
The only thing I can tell you about tomorrow (which is today), is that you didn't win the lotto....sorry! Without wanting to upset anyone's sensibilities, I can also tell you that Donald Trump tweeted something, but I won't spoil the surprise.
Strangely enough, neither surprises me. Maybe I'm clairvoyant & can tell the future without knowing it.

I grew up reading Popular Science magazine in the 60s. According to them, we should all have flying cars & robots doing our housework by now. (I don't think the Roomba counts.) I used to be fond of saying that the future isn't what it used to be, until I saw that used elsewhere. (I could swear that I made that up.) Anyway, today isn't over here yet, so please let us know if anything important happens.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:10 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Now that was a story, I could feel the tension building! Touche! Interesting that hope being part of the human condition is so often proved true. Whilst you both could have reached out to each other in what could have been your last moments, you hoped the bear would go away (which it may have, if it were a bear). I am assuming that you didn't want to disturb each other when you realised it was the fly, not that you didn't want to disturub the other's sleep over the bear? I love being an optimist.
Thanks Spike and flops.
flops: Thinking about it now, it was actually both. We both hoped the bear would lose interest when he couldn't figure out how to open this slippery material. By attempting to wake the other we would have risked an involuntary sound. We thought even a quiet whisper might betray our presence. Better to remain silent.

Last edited by lalatan : 10-04-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Hilarious!
Old 10-04-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
While black bears tend to be more timid, back in June, a camp counselor & wilderness survival instructor was camping not far from Denver & woke up to find a black bear had clamped onto his head & was dragging him away. Others managed to scare it away, and later the guy was shown a bear & he identified it as the culprit. (Do they have bear lineups? "It was the third bear from the left. Yes, the one with the tattoos.") Anyway, that's rare here. The biggest problem seems to be bears getting into cars, shutting the door behind themselves, and then tearing up the interior. One recently managed to release the brake & run into a tree at the bottom of the driveway.
Wow, what a brutal wake up call!
lol about the bear lineup. That's some crazy stuff about people's cars. I'd make sure the doors were locked.
We have lived here for a year. Our landlords told us when the dogs go ballistic, it's either a bear or cougar walking the rocky ridge through the trees about 50 yards/m behind the house. Normal barking indicates deer or rabbits are passing through. Kind of nice to have an interpretive warning system in place, other than the racket. My wife just about collided with 5 deer that burst of the roadside trees in super panicked mode. Something was after them hard.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:48 AM

flops talked about people never locking their doors there, and I think that the same safe feeling extends to people off in the mountains (or less urban areas) here. Obviously some doors are better off locked. I assume that most Australian wildlife doesn't tend to let themselves into unlocked cars. (That's probably a very good thing, given their wildlife.)
Old 10-04-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
I assume that most Australian wildlife doesn't tend to let themselves into unlocked cars. (That's probably a very good thing, given their wildlife.)
I concur. On one of the islands next to them, namely southern NZ, the keas will possibly happily remove some or all the weatherstripping around your car doors and/or windshield when you leave your car locked or unlocked at certain ski hills. Here the rats can crawl up into your engine, make a home and chew through all your wiring. Happened to us. Cost $500 to get the wiring harness rebuilt.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:24 AM

flops has received several accolades

After I explained to the kids why I was alternately gasping, then laughing, we had a discussion about what different species prefer to eat. There is a theory that sharks don't really like human, because we are too fatty. Let's just hope that they don't catch on to the "slow food" movement, like the bears (and I suppose the whales too, because they eat seal). The counsellor probably chose the bear with hair stuck in his teeth. They tell us we shouldn't feed ducks bread (and not just the white processed stuff), I hope that isn't because the bread swells up and the ducks explode? My son thinks it would be cool if it only happened when they were flying. But he is like that. From what I can gather, dogs, possums and racoons all like cat food (the fishy kind), although Arnold next door doesn't seem to like cat food at all, and he is a cat.

I have had the occasional pigeon in my house, but it's a small price to pay for not having to remove the flyscreen and jemmy the bathroom window open just to get in the house.

It's spring here and the magpies are swooping (I think magpies are fairly international, but just in case, they are birds, not pies (I just pictured a pie swooping and made myself laugh)). My neighbour feeds them ground beef (his wife barracks for an Australian Rules Football team called the Magpies). If the magpies don't come in for their food, I send Mud out, he barks, they come to swoop him, I call him back in and the neighbour feeds them. Yet another example of cooperative nature. They don't explode either.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:58 AM

Hair in the teeth would probably be a dead giveaway. However, I can imagine the thing sitting there trying to look innocent, possibly with a hat on to try to hide the little purple dot. (I realize that's only supposed to be visible to the parents, but why take a chance.)