Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 10-04-2017, 06:21 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

If I ever find myself in a position where I have to choose between being attacked by a bear or a cougar, I've already lost.

I thought I'd read or heard that playing dead is a good strategy only for certain types of bears. Others will just eat you anyway. (Maybe I should do a little more research on that, but I really don't think that's likely to come up.)

While I've visited relatives who had outhouses, I never had to worry much about the wildlife, except for the mosquitoes.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:46 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1005 View Post
flops did allude to that, and I had to look it up.
Really? I don't recall her mentioning anything about exploding whales, just rabbits. But I'm not going to check the thread for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1005 View Post
If I ever find myself in a position where I have to choose between being attacked by a bear or a cougar, I've already lost.
True enough. But how you react might determine how much you lose.
Edit: I looked it up just be sure.
If a black bear (or any bear that is stalking you) makes contact. If the attack escalates and a black bear (or any bear that appears to have been stalking you) physically contacts you, fight back with anything that is available to you. Black bears tend to be more timid than grizzlies and fighting back may scare the bear off. In addition, if a bear is stalking you than you are in a predatory situation and fighting back is your only option. This also applies to any attack at night as these may also be considered predatory in nature.

If a grizzly makes contact. As above, if you believe the bear to be stalking you, fight back with everything you have. In general though, playing dead in a daytime grizzly encounter tends to reduce the level of injury sustained by most attack victims. Many grizzly attacks are defensive in nature, and playing dead may show the bear that you are not a threat. Keep your backpack on as it will provide added protection. The best position is to lie on your side in a fetal position. Bring your legs up to your chest and bury your head into your legs. Wrap your arms around your legs and hold on tight. You may also lie on your stomach, backpack on, and place your hands behind your neck to protect that vulnerable area. Do not play dead until the last moment. Staying on your feet may allow you to dodge, or divert an attack.

Last edited by lalatan : 10-04-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:52 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post

You first quoted me and then spoke about enjoying stories about Aus. I live in Canada and flops lives in Aus, just in case you got us temporarily confused.
Sorry, I wasn't confused, I just meant to adress you, spike, and flops, collectively, as I enjoyed all of your stories. I realise I didn't make that clear (and then I went on to talk about Australia, though I know neither you nor spike live there). Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I think I've decided that the lack of dangerous wildlife in my area is a good thing. The most dangerous animal I met in the wild was a boar, and I was a distance away when I spotted it, so I just changed directions and made a detour and it ignored me.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
Sorry, I wasn't confused, I just meant to adress you, spike, and flops, collectively, as I enjoyed all of your stories. I realise I didn't make that clear (and then I went on to talk about Australia, though I know neither you nor spike live there). Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I thought that's what occurred but as I said, just in case.
I could tell umpteen stories of adventures and misadventures while hiking/camping/backpacking the Rocky Mountains for 15 years. e.g. unintentionally going over a 50 ft/15 m waterfall after slipping on a wet rock. Starting a hike in warm sunshine in July, then rain, then sleet, then snow, then sleet, then sunshine all within 2 hours, experiencing a rockslide in the middle of the night while sleeping in a tent etc.
I thought about telling a story where grizzly bears are indirectly involved but don't know if there's an appetite for it. Folks may be burnt out already.
I too have enjoyed your, flops' and Spike's stories.

Last edited by lalatan : 10-04-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:12 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

I'm always up for more grizzly bear stories.

Also, thanks for the info on what to do when attacked by, stalked by, or just encountering bears. As I said, I did have a bear in my yard last year, but this one seemed much more afraid of me than I was of it.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:02 AM

flops has received several accolades

Considering the difficulties in encountering grizzly bears, black bears, polar bears and cougars, compared to snakes, emus, spiders, sharks, teenagers and wombats, I think I am better off as I am!!

Keep the stories coming (even when you consider with the time difference, I am just having breakfast, and from your vantage point, I am having breakfast tomorrow).
Old 10-04-2017, 09:13 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by flops View Post
Considering the difficulties in encountering grizzly bears, black bears, polar bears and cougars, compared to snakes, emus, spiders, sharks, teenagers and wombats, I think I am better off as I am!!

Keep the stories coming (even when you consider with the time difference, I am just having breakfast, and from your vantage point, I am having breakfast tomorrow).
People seem to be more afraid of what they don't have. I grew up in Kansas, and earthquakes sounded scary. My sister moved to California, where they're apparently afraid of tornadoes. Here (in Colorado) it seems pretty safe, so I should be afraid of everything.

Since it's tomorrow there, can you tell us what the future is like?

Last edited by Spike1007 : 10-04-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:24 AM

You're welcome Spike. Having a bear afraid of you is always a good thing. As was said in that quote black bears are more timid. Another article said you may scare them off if they don't leave by raising your arms above your head and spreading them a little (to "look as big as you can"), shouting loudly and acting aggressive.

Ok I'll launch into my narrative on your say so. My wife and I had planned a backpacking trip with another couple to hike in about 8 miles north of Banff in Banff National Park and camp by a cirque there. Unfortunately, a week before our arrival a backcountry camper was killed by a grizzly in the valley just over the mountain from the valley we would be in. The rangers killed what they thought was the offending bear 2 days later and confirmed it by analyzing stomach contents. Pretty unnerving but we decided to go with the plan since such attacks are quite rare and the bear was dead.

I had a friend who liked to do rustic camping in the foothills just outside the park. He would build a lean-to using spruce trees and just sleep under that in a sleeping bag. About 2 months before our planned trip he told us that he was once awakened in the middle of the night by a black bear pawing his sleeping bag where his feet were. He got the inevitable burst of adrenaline, shot out of the bag and hollered at the bear like a madman. It took off. He didn't quit camping that way but he always had a shotgun by his side when he slept after that episode.

So these fairly recent stories were on our minds somewhere in the background as we set up camp. The second night we were there I awoke to a noise a little after 3 a.m. Still groggy it seemed like I was hearing a bear pawing the top of the nylon tent with his claws! I ever so sloooooooowwly rolled over onto my back so I wouldn't make any noise to possibly give away our presence inside. Then I involuntarily pressed myself as flat to the ground as possible. (Haha, as if that would make a difference) I was hardly breathing and dared not even make the tiniest sound. I was straining to hear as much as I could. I didn't know you could strain your hearing like that. The rubbing noise continued once in a while and I stayed pasted to the floor. Eventually, as I became more fully awake, I realized the rain fly had sagged from dew falling and was occasionally rubbing on the inner tent as the wind blew it around. WHEW! I got back to sleep. When my wife woke up I told her the story. I didn't know it but she had done exactly the same thing. Lol We each thought the other was asleep at the time and didn't want to disturb the other.

Last edited by lalatan : 10-04-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:29 AM

I just saw your post after I posted my story flops. Enjoy.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:39 AM

flops has received several accolades

Now that was a story, I could feel the tension building! Touche! Interesting that hope being part of the human condition is so often proved true. Whilst you both could have reached out to each other in what could have been your last moments, you hoped the bear would go away (which it may have, if it were a bear). I am assuming that you didn't want to disturb each other when you realised it was the fly, not that you didn't want to disturub the other's sleep over the bear? I love being an optimist.