Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 01-29-2018, 03:17 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Go to the Forum page & click on one of the categories. It lists the threads there, and the far right column is views. (I never really knew about those before either. I was just going off lalatan's number, but it does show over 22K.)

Last edited by Spike1007 : 01-29-2018 at 03:20 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:19 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. I looked at the views and was bemused to note that most of my posts were viewed less often than the spam from the writing services. I hope that was because of the number of people making humorous replies, but I suspect that my subjects generally were less interesting.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:38 AM

The spam question is interesting. I don't know if some threads are viewed by bots, but that could definitely skew things. (They mostly seem to start their own threads, but who knows? I assume that they monitor them too.)

If you want views, maybe you should start your own essay-writing service?

Last edited by Spike1007 : 01-29-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:57 AM

To see the results of graduates of their essay writing services, take a look at the website "Engrish.com". I also recommend "despair.com"; they specialize in "demotivators". Their pictures are just gorgeous -- you know, the kind you see in corporate hallways to get you motivated? But the message is exactly 180 degrees away from that. You have to see a few of them to appreciate just how funny they are and how easy it is to parody a cheap and self-serving "message". If you're going to be forced to write essays, you may as well have fun at it.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:58 AM

flops has received several accolades

Well, that's a relief!!

Speaking of essay writing services, Offspring 3 and 4 return to school in 2 days....after six weeks of school holidays apparently "we" only have to nail one more analytical essay (on the subject of whether Frankenstein was punished appropriately for creating an abomination), and a letter to loved ones describing, in a Gothic setting, why the writer will not be returning home....sigh.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:14 AM

flops, your offsprings' essays sound a lot more fun that anything I've ever had to write. On the other hand, I'd probably pay good money to see what the essay-writing people would come up with, especially on the Frankenstein thing.

bwt, Engrish.com currently gives me a blank page. I'll try again later, but now I'll check out despair.com.

Edit: OK, I've had a look. Pretty dark, but funny as hell. I like the "Procrastination" poster, since that's my specialty. And the "Meetings" poster was up on the wall in the room where my math group held its meetings.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 01-29-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:40 AM

flops has received several accolades

Having taught, coached, parented, and lived for quite some time, I think everyone should have a despair.com calendar....Love it! Good find bwt! (or did you invent it?)

I've spent time I could have spent watching cat videos working out who, in my life, each poster relates to.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:52 PM
Keeps Trying

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
OK, I've had a look. Pretty dark, but funny as hell. I like the "Procrastination" poster, since that's my specialty. And the "Meetings" poster was up on the wall in the room where my math group held its meetings.
My favorite is the one with the four pencils: [url]https://despair.com/collections/demotivators/products/distinction[/url]

But honestly I couldn't really imagine sharing most of rest with anyone because they're kind of insulting. Even mean.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:47 PM

I checked and engrish.com is down and retired. The link to the blog "fail.com" or something like that still has some of the engrish.com stuff. It's a real pity, because some of the postings were really hilarious. I especially enjoyed the Chinese company that used a literal translation of their brand to create the English language toilet paper brand "Happy Sphincter". I understand that American companies have succeeded in doing similar things in Chinese -- something about Coke bringing the dead ancestors back to life, or something like that.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonna View Post
But honestly I couldn't really imagine sharing most of rest with anyone because they're kind of insulting. Even mean.
Point taken. I've never been a part of corporate culture myself. so I have an outsider's view, but there seem to be plenty of things to take potshots at. The "motivational" movement seems like a good one (although this site goes somewhat beyond that), but that seems to be the main aim of the site.