Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 11-26-2017, 07:53 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonna View Post
That was a frustrating find. I picked up HYDROFLUOROCARBONS first but could see there was something more. I must have typed HYDROCHLOROFLUOROCARBONS 3 times before I tried the singular. Not sure why Boggle wouldn't accept the plural but I only had a few seconds on the clock before I finished!
QUINTESSENTIALIZING is marvelous! But your PR is more like 45 points, yes?
Sorry to hear about your health issues, lalatan. I've gotten back into Wordtwist lately because of some heart issues that leave me fatigued if I do much physical work. Unfortunately it also makes me fatigued at the computer so sometimes I snooze off in the middle of a board!
Thanks mcdonna. Sorry to hear about your heart problems. We just have to roll with the punches life delivers us.
That happened to me as well with that word, the plural was invalid. That kind of thing happens to me all the time on this website (I don't write about it) and others as well judging by the number of times the issue comes up in the forum. For instance, today I played MEASURABLENESSES for 30 pts, 2 records. It wouldn't accept UNMEASURABLENESSES or the singular but did approve UNMEASURABLE. If a possible word is worth a lot of points, I'll type/swipe it twice. After that I move on and put it down to the foibles of this website.
Sorry about the confusion re: my PR. I didn't sleep that well, stressing about the fine and lack of money. Was struggling with how to word it. I should have said I set a new PR of 43 by playing the word for the first time on that board. I've played many 45 pt words that others set the record on but never encountered a board (to my knowledge) where I had the opportunity to play a 45 pt word for the first time. When I scroll down the current month's best word competitions lists I seldom see a word worth 37 pts and up I haven't played before. I've usually played them multiple times.
Happy boggling to you!

Welcome back Spike! Good to see you the forum again.

Last edited by lalatan : 11-26-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:22 PM
Keeps Trying

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
I should have said I set a new PR of 43 by playing the word for the first time on that board. I've played many 45 pt words that others set the record on but never encountered a board (to my knowledge) where I had the opportunity to play a 45 pt word for the first time. When I scroll down the current month's best word competitions lists I seldom see a word worth 37 pts and up I haven't played before. I've usually played them multiple times.
Ah, that makes sense! My best new record was COPOLYMERIZATIONS (35/17), which we've already discussed.

I see that thinkbig has now topped the rankings in average points per word. Nice work!

Don't tell pmoffit but I just squeaked past him to maintain my 5th place position.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:39 PM

flops has received several accolades

But, at least I do well in Wordtwist Boggle. It's a pretty good narcotic to get my mind off our troubles for the most part, just doesn't help me sleep that well though.

I know that I am just about to fall asleep, when I realise that I am doing boards (mainly patterns) in my head....they are awesome boards, because they run on my sleep timer and all the letters I need appear....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 11-27-2017, 03:25 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Quote:
Welcome back Spike! Good to see you the forum again.
Thanks. I've been off in Germany for a couple of weeks. I did manage to play some boards there in the mornings & evenings, but didn't take the time to post.

Due to jet lag, yesterday I woke up before 3am, so I played a lot of Wordtwist while waiting for the sun to come up. (The day doesn't seem like it's officially started before then.) Today, I just refused to get out of bed before 7. I wouldn't swear that I had a good night's sleep though. I could have used some of flops' Zs.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:17 AM

flops has received several accolades

It's 6am here and the sun has been up for a while...my day can't have officially started, because otherwise I would be hanging up the laundry.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:17 AM
Keeps Trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by flops View Post
I know that I am just about to fall asleep, when I realise that I am doing boards (mainly patterns) in my head....they are awesome boards, because they run on my sleep timer and all the letters I need appear....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Oh yes, I've been there! I need a sleepy timer when I'm playing real WordTwist. So many times I need another 30-60 seconds to find the big words!
Old 11-27-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Ah, that makes sense! My best new record was COPOLYMERIZATIONS (35/17), which we've already discussed.

I see that thinkbig has now topped the rankings in average points per word. Nice work!

Don't tell pmoffit but I just squeaked past him to maintain my 5th place position.
Thanks mcdonna!
Your addition of CO- to my previous record seems that have stuck in my brain. I played POLYMERISATIONS last week and started looking for prefixes right away. Found DEPOLYMERISATIONS. It seems I'm also getting better with chemistry words. On a new game last week I found DEHYDROGENIZATIONS (37/18) right off the bat. Love when that happens.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:18 AM
Keeps Trying

Quote:
Thanks mcdonna!
Your addition of CO- to my previous record seems that have stuck in my brain. I played POLYMERISATIONS last week and started looking for prefixes right away. Found DEPOLYMERISATIONS. It seems I'm also getting better with chemistry words. On a new game last week I found DEHYDROGENIZATIONS (37/18) right off the bat. Love when that happens.
Sweet! Great finds, lalatan! You continue to inspire me.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
btw, Congrats on that!
And thank you!
Old 12-01-2017, 06:34 AM

Default 855 best/longest word records in 5x5 added last month

Last month I added and retained 855 best/longest 5x5 records in 1074 games played (28.5/day avg). After achieving my goal of reaching 2k best and 2k longest word records on Nov. 23, I added 247 in the next 7 days. I hadn't expected that and yesterday thought about taking a run at my personal best of 867 for the month. But then I thought, "Why? No use burning myself out. For what?" I tracked Dasan's (a very successful and veteran long word hunter) stats for the month: 134 records in 361 games played. So I'm very happy with my total.

I'm considering taking a month (probably January) off from competing for the 5x5 avg score/word trophy and seeing if I can amass and retain 1k best/longest word records to see if it can be done. It seems possible.

After recent developments in the 4x4 avg score/word trophy competition, I'm quitting that altogether. (see [url]http://www.wordtwist.org/forum/showthread.php?p=8498#post8498[/url] )

My best/longest word records lifetime (since April 2014) total is now 12,109. I'd like to get to 20k before the end of 2018. That seems doable. But the vagaries of life are multitudinous so we shall see.

Last edited by lalatan : 12-01-2017 at 09:15 AM.