Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 06-09-2018, 11:50 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Looks like you're right Russ! I checked his scores page and he has 1.18M pts, 663 avg pts/game and 123 avg words/game yet he no longer appears on those lists. (Earlier today I saw he was gone from 1st place but I didn't scroll down to see if he was farther down the lists. Instead I went to his scores page.) Yay, admin! I'm not sure why they haven't also blotted Md5.

Last edited by lalatan : 06-09-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:08 PM

RussDNails is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, md5 has posted a 686 words/4653 points best game which I think is not humanly possible. The top players on this site have never gotten anywhere near this level.
MegaWord struggled to get to 300 words per game and fasteddieb has not (yet!) achieved this level.

Hope md5 is blotted out soon too!

Cheers,

Russ
Old 06-09-2018, 03:52 PM

erakis17 is on the road to greatness

I hesitate to say anything good about them, but I was able to get something useful after playing the game that zminor scored 452/453 words.

1) Point values for 47 words no one had ever played in 2100 games of mine
2) The amusement that he doesn't have 'ABSEILER' in his dictionary. To be fair it was only added in the CSW 2015 update
Old 06-09-2018, 09:11 PM

Estivate is an unknown quantity at this point

It's probably interesting to note that md5 seems to purposely tank some games to look legit? But once you take over him/her in any of the scoreboards, the cheating begins again.

I need a better keyboard for home play. For some reason, my lowest row letters seem to double/triple register when I type fast.

P.s. Well md5 is gone now.

Last edited by Estivate : 06-09-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:57 AM
Premium Member

Brisul is on the road to greatness

Nice to see the squeaky wheels here getting the grease! Meanwhile, I just picked up my first 1000 point game in about 5 months
Old 06-11-2018, 10:06 AM

Hey Brian,

Congrats on the 1000 point game--topping 1000 isn't easy (except for 2 or 3 players!)

Thanks for helping get the cheaters blotted out--it makes the competition more enjoyable for myself and I'm sure for the other players here too......

Best,

Russ
Old 06-11-2018, 12:35 PM

md5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please don't hate me!

It was a test, I was amazed at some of the vulnerabilities, and there are ways to cheat that are far less obvious (i.e. limited by typing speed) but still cheating. Hope it gets fixed. Also, no offense meant to the serious players here.

Basically, WordTwist itself serves up the complete set of correct answers with every game, so I didn't need to use a separate dictionary - just inputting what was sent. The name "md5" is a reference to a security measure that is referred to in their code but then commented out, allowing attacks like this.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:46 PM

Well, I guess I would say that most of us come here to play for fun and compete against legitimate players--not "exploit" the vulnerabilities of the site. If you don't want to play fair, leave. It's that simple......
Old 06-11-2018, 01:03 PM

md5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand your perspective, and I sympathize with it, but I think people deserve to know that the site is either secure or not; otherwise, maybe there are a lot of people who cheat a little on the sly. As for me, I actually do enjoy playing, but I also enjoy poking around for vulnerabilities. All the best to you guys!
Old 06-11-2018, 04:40 PM

erakis17 is on the road to greatness

md5 knows perfectly well that this particular exploit isn't a security flaw, in the sense of a vulnerability that would matter if it were fixed. If you have the ability to exploit this flaw, you have the ability to do what I did: write a boggle solver that will accomplish the same thing, if your only goal is to cheat. My goal was to practice programming, and have fun examining the game in different ways so I could improve. It wasn't to cheat and then whine that people aren't thanking me for doing them a public service by cheating. There are a zillion functionally equivalent ways to cheat at this game, and that's been true of every online boggle game since I started playing casually near twenty years ago.

The one consistency in all these years is that some people cheat, and some people troll, and some people do both. It's always been just as tiresome.