Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 03-09-2018, 04:59 AM

zolorbowl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I made a chrome extension

I made a chrome extension. This extension will search for wordtwist gameboards with at least 160 ultra rare words. You can open more than one tab, but if you are playing a game when another tab finds a gameboard with 160 words then it will interupt your current game. All you do is right-click the icon, once the extension is added, and select wordtwist_wizard, then the extension will automatically open a new tab and start searching for games.
This is clearly for those who wish to play for highest points per board without all of the 'load new random game' business. In the future I will add functionality to seek out long words, too, for those who wish to play for highest points per word averages, but as of now I don't have time to build out a fully interactive extension.
I would appreciate any feedback on this extension or any possible future features that people might like to see.

The link below should connect to the chrome web store, if it does not you can find my extension by name which is: wordtwist_wizard

Happy WordTwisting,
Zolorbowl

[url]https://chrome.google.com/webstore/s...rdtwist_wizard[/url]
Old 03-09-2018, 10:53 AM

flops has received several accolades

cool, zol! I'm still a random gambler procrastinating opportunist optimist, but I admire your ability to be able to create it.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:03 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
While I appreciate the work you've put into this, I've got to chime in here. For those who just want to find a good board & play for a lot of words, this sounds good (although I'd like to hear from those players). For people like me who go for high average points/word, we're generally very good at finding a long word if we know it's there, so the biggest part is the clicking involved to find a good board. As far as getting a trophy goes, your extension would really give any of us a (possibly unfair) advantage.

Like I said, I'm interested in other feedback on this.
I tend to agree with you, Spike. Since I started last May competing for the 5x5 avg pts/word trophy, you and I have been the only ones who have done it regularly.

I just did a survey of the best words competition list and there are 26 different users who have found at least one 38+ pt word so far this month. Yet, none of them compete, even though their stats seem to suggest they could. I suspect part of the reason none of them do is the difficulty in finding 51 games with best words good enough to result in a competitive avg. The Chrome extension would make finding them much easier. (I also think the current extension will permanently alter the points/game, avg words per game competitions. It will become easier to find high-scoring games so people will do it more and drive up the avgs.)

While I'm no fan of clicking through hundreds of games, I think the extension could alter the avg pts/word competition permanently. (When "the genie is out of the bottle", there's no going back.) Once the difficulty of finding games is reduced many more long word seekers could be interested in competing and improving their word recognition skills. (Not necessarily a bad thing.) Once the software is tasked with finding good games to play, the avg pts may escalate to a point where the competition becomes meaningless. One person could conceivably only play games with a 45 pt best word record by just rerunning the software until 1 pops up.

That said, I have no idea how people may react to the extension. Barrick Gold has to mine anywhere from 2 to 91 tons of material to extract 1 ounce of gold, depending on where the deposit is. What history has shown is when gold is found close the surface, there's a gold rush with novices from all over the world stampeding in to find easy riches. I don't know but I would imagine gold prices dropped afterwards because there was more supply. Part of the value of gold and diamonds (250+ tons of removed material for 1 carat) is the difficulty of extracting it. I would think if there were lots of it lying around on the ground, the value would drop dramatically. I'm not suggesting a digital trophy is all that valuable but I think the effect of the extension being released could trigger a similar reduction of its value. JMHO on the matter.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:48 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

I deleted my original post earlier, since I decided that maybe I was being a little too critical. zolorbowl was generously offering a nice product to the WordTwist community (although it would probably not really be available on all platforms) and I thank him for that. When I was going all out for highest average points/word, I looked at the clicking boredom as something that would deter lots of other players (and hopefully let me come out ahead). However, having lots of spare time & a resistance to boredom is not really (or shouldn't be) a WordTwist "skill".

I know other players (going for different goals) choose their boards according to some combination of criteria. I have no idea how much clicking is involved there, or whether they think this add-on might give some an unfair advantage. (As 007, I don't have to do much clicking, and it's really hard to come up with a good combination of stats that indicates that there MAY be a good unfound word in a board. I have my own ideas, but they kind of border on voodoo or something.)

Anyway, I agree that (if enough people adopt it) this lets the genie out of the bottle. I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

One additional thought... If this does catch on, we should try to advertise it occasionally. Up-and-coming players, or those with evolving goals (involving lots of clicking) shouldn't have to compete with old-timers with a "secret weapon." (There are enough old posts claiming that we must be cheating to get such high point/word averages or Megaword-type scores. This isn't the word-finding help that they probably suspect, but it could give us an edge.)

Last edited by Spike1007 : 03-10-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:30 AM

I admire zolorbowl's programming abilities. I wasn't being critical of his generous offering, just stating some of my concerns re: the possible ramifications of releasing the avg pts/game extension, since he's not a long word hunter.

He's free to do whatever he wants, of course. As I said before, I can do something else or go somewhere else if I don't like what's going on here. If he did release it, I'd wait to see what impact it would have and make a decision thereafter.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
I admire zolorbowl's programming abilities. I wasn't being critical of his generous offering, just stating some of my concerns re: the possible ramifications of releasing the avg pts/game extension, since he's not a long word hunter.

He's free to do whatever he wants, of course. As I said before, I can do something else or go somewhere else if I don't like what's going on here. If he did release it, I'd wait to see what impact it would have and make a decision thereafter.
We're definitely in a minority here as far as points/word goes, and if it does affect how we compete, that's OK with me. Things change. As I said though, as 007, it wouldn't change my play. (And for the time being, I'm happy that way.) I'd also be interested in seeing how far anyone can push this. (I forget which player it was, but one admitted sometime last year to setting up a script for doing the same thing. I think he just wanted to get a trophy for once. At the time, I think the bar was a lot lower though.) Any extension is still limited by the response time of the site itself (and the luck of the draw), so I'd think it would still be a challenge to beat some of our past scores.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:01 PM

zolorbowl is an unknown quantity at this point

I appreciate the feedback. I definitely won't be making an extension that finds game-boards with long words for reasons mentioned in comments above. A lot of good points were made, thank you.
It usually takes me less than a minute to find a 'good' board, so if it's frowned upon I won't even use the extension, I just wanted to see if I could build it.
As the extension is now it will find the user a game-board to play, but you have to have the skill/knowledge to score the points.
Is this too much of an advantage?
Old 03-10-2018, 12:04 PM

RussDNails is an unknown quantity at this point

IMHO, anything that allows for finding "better" boards faster is straight up cheating.

Best,

Russ
Old 03-10-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolorbowl View Post
I appreciate the feedback. I definitely won't be making an extension that finds game-boards with long words for reasons mentioned in comments above. A lot of good points were made, thank you.

As the extension is now it will find the user a game-board to play, but you have to have the skill/knowledge to score the points.
You're welcome. Since I'm not a speed player I'll refrain from commenting further on the existing extension. As you say, even if it were easier to find high-scoring best word games, you'd still have to know and see the big words.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
You're welcome. Since I'm not a speed player I'll refrain from commenting further on the existing extension. As you say, even if it were easier to find high-scoring best word games, you'd still have to know and see the big words.
I tend to agree there, since I don't know how much finding the "right" board contributes to overall score & number of words if you're playing that way. That is pretty much up to skill and whether the board seems to be as promised, (Like we said, that's somewhat different for existing long words.)

A lot of this has to do with how much the clicking you do compares to the time spent playing, and how the clickers see this. I am sympathetic to RussDNails take, but from a purely selfish perspective, it's not really the time I spend clicking (which I assume would not really be that much more than the time the extension would take), it's the fact that, once I get into clicking mode, I'll watch myself (horrified) click past the board I was looking for. I'd love for something to stop me. I come up with tricks to slow myself down so that it registers before I click again. (It works sometimes.) Then again, I see this as part of the game.

Anyway, let's see what others have to say. (If some kind of filter were a feature of the site itself, that would be different.)