Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 01-12-2019, 08:51 AM

InsertNameHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shock,

I, and most likely many other people, appreciate your apology. Something about it though still befuddles me. How little of a conscience must one have for it to require someone's emotional meltdown (I mean no offence to you, Lalatan, which is why I have used your own words) for them to think, "Hmm, maybe I should post a written apology for my actions because maybe, just maybe, stealing something that I blasphemously said doesn't matter to me from other people who value that something a decent amount is wrong and may have upset some people".

As crazykate said, it will definitely take some time for everyone to trust you again, but some wounds just never heal.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:17 AM
Premium Member

pdiddp has received several accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
I, and most likely many other people, appreciate your apology. Something about it though still befuddles me. How little of a conscience must one have for it to require someone's emotional meltdown (I mean no offence to you, Lalatan, which is why I have used your own words) for them to think, "Hmm, maybe I should post a written apology for my actions because maybe, just maybe, stealing something that I blasphemously said doesn't matter to me from other people who value that something a decent amount is wrong and may have upset some people".

As crazykate said, it will definitely take some time for everyone to trust you again, but some wounds just never heal.
Nicely said INH! As one of the upsetees I'm interested to see what happens with this months APPW contest. I'm not one to hold a grudge, doing that does little except make bad situations worse, but I'd like to see some clean months of play from shock before I'm all done thinking about it. As I said before, if he can find a 40pt word once, he can do it again. And I know he's already done it, a 41 pointer unless I'm mistaken.

So in the spirit of fair play, and to set an example of fair play, good luck to you Shock! (just not enough luck to knock me back to silver again!)
Old 01-29-2019, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

I'm not cut out for prioritizing points. If I see a word that I'm proud of, even if it's below my target score, I can't bring myself to abandon the game to improve my average.
My self-imposed minimum was supposed to be 36 points per word, but I just had to play HYPOPHYSECTOMIES and HYPOPHYSECTOMISE for 30 points each.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:39 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

kate, you have my sympathies. (And those are great words, by the way.) I've generally had different thresholds for new and existing words (with special allowances for new words that I'm particularly proud of, hoping that I'll make up for it later).
Old 01-30-2019, 08:56 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
kate, you have my sympathies. (And those are great words, by the way.) I've generally had different thresholds for new and existing words (with special allowances for new words that I'm particularly proud of, hoping that I'll make up for it later).
I've been doing something similar myself. If I have a board on which I played a word that was (1) long enough to be proud of; (2) enough points to make high score and perhaps stick, then I will keep the board even if it drags my average down. I didn't do that before, but then I told myself: "Do you really think that averaging another 5 or 10 points per game is going to matter to ANYONE? And do you really think that obsessing over your game average is the way to have fun?" Well, I still want to have and to keep a high average, but enough is enough. At least, sometimes it is.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:55 AM

My goals change over time, sometimes from month to month, sometimes from minute to minute. I'm egotistical enough (in a modest way, of course) to want it all. I want fun, I want a high average points/word, I want great new words, I want trophies, I want my name on lots of boards with the best/longest word. (Some of those do matter, although it might be only for a small group of people here for a short amount of time, but that's something. Maybe it's our average 15 minutes of fame. I don't think I'll have my WordTwist stats carved into my tombstone or anything.) Anyway, those seem to be conflicting goals, so liike kate, I'll sometimes be drawn one way or the other. I guess that's part of the fun (and the frustration) of the game.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 01-30-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

pdiddp has received several accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
I'm not cut out for prioritizing points. If I see a word that I'm proud of, even if it's below my target score, I can't bring myself to abandon the game to improve my average.
My self-imposed minimum was supposed to be 36 points per word, but I just had to play HYPOPHYSECTOMIES and HYPOPHYSECTOMISE for 30 points each.
I know how you feel Kate! I'm not overly good at finding new extra-long words so when I do come across one it's a battle to bypass it. A battle I'll often lose if it's close enough to my limit. I lost 4 times this month; once with a 37pt word, twice with 36 pointers and once with a 34 pointer when my goal was no lower than 38 (40 once I reached the game threshold).
And of course there were many high scoring ones that had already been found that I had to force myself to click past, the most wrenching being the 40 point ones when my average was barely over 40. I tried some of those anyway in case there was a missed 'S' or something but then it was a real struggle to not submit it!

I'll have to take a break next month and maybe longer, as bwt1213 pointed out obsessing over the points can take the fun out of the game! I spent way too much of the month just clicking!! Not fun!
Old 01-31-2019, 03:38 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Speaking to Spike's comment about 15 minutes of fame, you need to know what that gets to be like. I became actually famous for a while -- as in people asking for my autograph and taking pictures with me and people writing stories about me, interviews, and all the rest. And then came the death threats, and the threats to my family, and crazy people making up things I never said. I once gave a public address for which there was a credible death threat (the person said precisely how it was going to be done, when, and what I'd look like when it was over) and there were armed cops in the audience ready to take the guy down if he tried. Next time you hear about someone famous doing something odd, be a little more understanding. I prefer my present more obscure existence. And if I ever become famous again, it will be under a pen name.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:37 AM

OMG, you're Britney Spears!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Anyway, I'm glad you made it through and faded back into relative obscurity. I'll have to add "don't get famous" to my list of New Year's resolutions.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:01 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwt1213 View Post
Speaking to Spike's comment about 15 minutes of fame, you need to know what that gets to be like. I became actually famous for a while -- as in people asking for my autograph and taking pictures with me and people writing stories about me, interviews, and all the rest. And then came the death threats, and the threats to my family, and crazy people making up things I never said. I once gave a public address for which there was a credible death threat (the person said precisely how it was going to be done, when, and what I'd look like when it was over) and there were armed cops in the audience ready to take the guy down if he tried. Next time you hear about someone famous doing something odd, be a little more understanding. I prefer my present more obscure existence. And if I ever become famous again, it will be under a pen name.
Whoa, that's quite the story! I received a general death threat for engaging in a political discourse once, without even being famous, and that was quite a shock (that was pre-Facebook, before trolling was really a thing). I can't imagine what it must be like if you're genuinely in danger from a crazy person targeting you specifically.
I actually do try not to judge celebrities too quickly and to allow them their privacy. I've met a few and know that they are regular people beneath their public personas, and I shudder to think how I would fare if it was me under the spotlight.
I also felt quite smug the other day when I was sitting across from a local comedian and TV celebrity in the train, and didn't approach him even though I'm a fan, because he was reading a book and I didn't want to disturb him. That would have been rude. An autograph wouldn't have been worth it.
I have to admit, I'm now quite curious as to the nature of your claim to fame, bwt, but I don't want to pry. Your skills as a WordTwist player have gained you a geeky brand of fame on this site, at any rate.