Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 10-01-2017, 06:23 AM
crazykatePremium Member crazykate is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 261
crazykate is on the road to greatness
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
kate: I saw that your avg pts/word in 5x5 jumped up about 10 pts from the previous month. Congrats on the huge jump upward. If you keep that up Spike and I will fear for our trophies.
Thanks spike and lalatan, although I only made that jump by being a lot more selective while playing. Previously I tried for long words/new records, last month I went for high-scoring words only and often played games where someone else had found a big word, trying to find the same one. I also scrapped a lot of boards.
I'm not sure whether I'll try the same thing on thee 5x5 boards this month, hunting good words can be a little frustrating. Also, the competition is stiff - I made 6th place in February with a score of 15.510 average points per word, last month I got to the same rank with an average of 28.829. Not sure I have what it takes to make the top 3.

Expect my scores to drop in 4x4 as well, I'm currently trying to avoid 3pt words as an exercise. Let's see where that takes me

Congratulations on your achievements, spike and lalatan and everyone!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-01-2017, 06:46 AM
lalatan lalatan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 726
lalatan is on the road to greatness
Default

Thank you mcdonna and kate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
I'm not sure whether I'll try the same thing on thee 5x5 boards this month, hunting good words can be a little frustrating. Also, the competition is stiff - I made 6th place in February with a score of 15.510 average points per word, last month I got to the same rank with an average of 28.829. Not sure I have what it takes to make the top 3.
It definitely can be frustrating, time consuming and/or boring at times. I'm amazed with what you accomplish in the time you do have with 2 young ones to look after.

Last edited by lalatan : 10-01-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-01-2017, 06:47 AM
Spike1005 Spike1005 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 143
Spike1005 is on the road to greatness
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
Thanks spike and lalatan, although I only made that jump by being a lot more selective while playing. Previously I tried for long words/new records, last month I went for high-scoring words only and often played games where someone else had found a big word, trying to find the same one. I also scrapped a lot of boards.
I'm not sure whether I'll try the same thing on thee 5x5 boards this month, hunting good words can be a little frustrating. Also, the competition is stiff - I made 6th place in February with a score of 15.510 average points per word, last month I got to the same rank with an average of 28.829. Not sure I have what it takes to make the top 3.

Expect my scores to drop in 4x4 as well, I'm currently trying to avoid 3pt words as an exercise. Let's see where that takes me

Congratulations on your achievements, spike and lalatan and everyone!
You're right, being selective is the key. As long as you're decent at finding long words (which you obviously are) & have enough time, you can pretty much reach the goal you want. It can be frustrating & not much fun. As 005, of course I'll try to match the really high-point words that have already been found if it raises my average, but if I find a new best word that lowers my average a little, I'll take that if I'm really proud of it. (I threw away TENDERHEARTEDNESSES (for 36 points) earlier today. While it was a new best word on the board, I didn't really impress myself with it.) Anyway, that's why I started 006 & 007. I wanted some fun back. (Edit: I also just had to throw away MICROMINIATURISATIONS because it was only rare & worth 32 points.)

By the way, as time went on, my average as 005 did go up, but generally my ranking didn't. Everybody's just getting way too good here.

Anyway, having evolving goals keeps things fresh & interesting. Good luck on the 4x4 minus the 3pt words, and have fun!

Last edited by Spike1005 : 10-01-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-02-2017, 06:51 AM
mcdonna's Avatar
mcdonna mcdonna is offline
Keeps Trying
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Corvallis OR
Posts: 272
mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Kate, I think you're right that the word scores have been going up dramatically. I've really noticed a difference after being gone a couple of years. In October 2014 I got 3rd place in Average Points per Word (5x5) with only 13.972 average points. These days you'd have to have at least 30 points average for that standing.

Spike, I would be so thrilled to find TENDERHEARTEDNESSES or MICROMINIATURISATIONS! But I know what you mean about picking the score you're shooting for and picking boards/words accordingly. Right now I'm pretty happy aiming for 12+ points average. It means I don't have to throw away too much but still have a chance of placing in the top 10.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-02-2017, 09:28 AM
mcdonna's Avatar
mcdonna mcdonna is offline
Keeps Trying
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Corvallis OR
Posts: 272
mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

So this is a typical board result for me.

I find POSITONS (14 pts.)

Spike1005 finds ZOOPHYTOLOGICAL (31 pts)

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-02-2017, 09:06 PM
crazykatePremium Member crazykate is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 261
crazykate is on the road to greatness
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonna View Post
So this is a typical board result for me.

I find POSITONS (14 pts.)

Spike1005 finds ZOOPHYTOLOGICAL (31 pts)

Lol I feel ya. I've come to recognise "phyto" as a valid prefix, so I might have found "phytological" but missed the "zoo".

On another note, my 4x4 no-3-pt project is going great, I just found 51 words for 333 points total, with only 3 accidental 3pt words in the mix. It's a lot of fun!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-03-2017, 05:32 AM
lalatan lalatan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 726
lalatan is on the road to greatness
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonna View Post
So this is a typical board result for me.
I find POSITONS (14 pts.)
Spike1005 finds ZOOPHYTOLOGICAL (31 pts)
lol, mcdonna. We all have to start somewhere. Spike1005 (I think when he's going for avg pts/word trophies only) once wrote that some days he plays 0 words and others when he plays 2 or 3. So I guess they better be good! haha

Last edited by lalatan : 10-03-2017 at 05:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-03-2017, 05:59 AM
Spike1005 Spike1005 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 143
Spike1005 is on the road to greatness
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
lol, mcdonna. We all have to start somewhere. Spike1005 (I think when he's going for avg pts/word trophies only) once wrote that some days he plays 0 words and others when he plays 2 or 3. So I guess they better be good! haha
As Spike1005, I'm off to a slow start this month. I optimistically tried to get & accept only 38+ point words, but I've taken a few shorter ones. Today, I took PHOTOREACTIVATIONS for 34 points. You had the previous longest word. It was the same, but without the plural. It's so rare that I can improve on your words, I felt compelled to take it. Anyway, I'll try to make up for it before the end of the month.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-03-2017, 06:07 AM
lalatan lalatan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 726
lalatan is on the road to greatness
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1005 View Post
As Spike1005, I'm off to a slow start this month. I optimistically tried to get & accept only 38+ point words, but I've taken a few shorter ones. Today, I took PHOTOREACTIVATIONS for 34 points. You had the previous longest word. It was the same, but without the plural. It's so rare that I can improve on your words, I felt compelled to take it. Anyway, I'll try to make up for it before the end of the month.
I can only recall twice when I bettered your records. That's saying something when you consider the volume of games I play every month.
Edit: Actually on further reflection I seldom go up against your records since I'm looking for games I can set records so that's probably not as significant a factor as I first thought. Nevertheless, you come up with some great finds! Very likely that I would hardly ever improve on your record if I did take you on.

Last edited by lalatan : 10-03-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-03-2017, 07:19 AM
Spike1005 Spike1005 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 143
Spike1005 is on the road to greatness
Default

I remember enough times that either I saw a better word (or addition to my existing word) too late, or was just convinced that something better was there that I generally replay boards where I already have the longest word. That rarely works out (and often I can't even find what I found before).
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

About Puzzle Baron

The Puzzle Baron family of web sites has served millions and millions of puzzle enthusiasts since its inception in 2006. From cryptograms to acrostics, logic puzzles to drop quotes, patchwords to wordtwist and even sudoku, we run the gamut in word puzzles, printable puzzles and logic games.

Questions or Comments?

The word 'bought' has how many letters in it?