Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 07-01-2017, 06:52 AM

L9UR9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What gives?

I should have placed second in the June 4x4 average points per word, at close to 19 pts average, instead I am nonexistent. Anyone know why or how this would have occurred???
Old 07-01-2017, 07:02 AM
Premium Member

TurtleRace is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkbig View Post
Yup, I did it again TR, just like you predicted. I got first place trophies for average points/word in both 4x4 and 5x5. I had to use my original username, ibme54, for 5x5 since I messed up my average on this ID. Would have been way too hard to get from 21 to 38 pts/word again.

I set a new record in 4x4 of 21.615 points/word. I wanted to see how high I could go. Nobody got over 20 pts/word for the last 14 months. (That's as far back as I could go.)
So I'm feeling pretty good.

WOW WOW WOWIE!!!

What wonderful accomplishments! I saw on another thread that you were swipe-playing and that makes this even more stupendious!

Of course you can do it and probably do it again, yet...

WOW!!! Way to go!!! Bet you're gonna have a big smile for a while

Congratulations!
TR
Old 07-01-2017, 07:18 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by L9UR9 View Post
I should have placed second in the June 4x4 average points per word, at close to 19 pts average, instead I am nonexistent. Anyone know why or how this would have occurred???
How many games did you play? I think there's a threshold before you count, although I wouldn't swear to it. I've seen others talk about trying to get up to 51 games.

If that's your problem, it's very easy to get around if you're just going for a high average points/word. Just play enough "empty" games (that is, let the time run out without playing anything). It obviously affects your average per game, but not average per word, and the games do count.

Last edited by Spike1005 : 07-01-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:39 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by L9UR9 View Post
You have to play at least 51 games to show up in the stats.

From the current month competition page just before the user listings:

Select which of July 2017's current competition rankings you'd like to view:

Total Points Competition
Average Scores Competitions
Best Words Competitions
These three competitions are based on each player's average statistics - how many points they average per game, how many words they average per game, and how many points they score, on average, per word. Only players who have tallied 50 or more games in any given month are eligible for these competitions.

Last edited by lalatan : 07-01-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:52 AM

thinkbig is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleRace View Post
WOW WOW WOWIE!!!

What wonderful accomplishments! I saw on another thread that you were swipe-playing and that makes this even more stupendious!

Of course you can do it and probably do it again, yet...

WOW!!! Way to go!!! Bet you're gonna have a big smile for a while

Congratulations!
TR
Thanks TR!
Old 07-01-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1005 View Post
If that's your problem, it's very easy to get around if you're just going for a high average points/word. Just play enough "empty" games (that is, let the time run out without playing anything). It obviously affects your average per game, but not average per word, and the games do count.
True enough. I realized some time ago a person could play 1 45 point word in 5x5 or 1 33 point word in 4x4 and then let the next 50 games go to zero. That would guarantee a first place trophy every time but of course wouldn't be sporting at all. I suspect it has likely been done some time in the past during this website's history.

I think the game designers left a big loophole in the game there. I think they should set a minimum number of words (at least 25 would be fair IMHO) as well as the 51 game requirement already in place.

But my impression of admin on this website is they don't really want to correct anything, as evidenced by the numerous missing valid words listed on other threads and by the numerous cheaters still listed in the hall of fame.

As I said before though, I don't run the website so my opinions don't really matter. I enjoy using their product and the seemingly endless variety of unique games to play.

Last edited by thinkbig : 07-01-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:56 AM

L9UR9 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm almost positive I played more than 50 games, although I didn't keep track. I played a _LOT_. But I was aiming for a high avg point score so I often just played one word per game. I think my average words per game ended up at about 1.5. Perhaps that's what knocked me out of the competition?

Anyway, aiming for a really high score isn't all that fun - I only picked the games where an 18-pointer or above had already been found - so a lot of clicking, and no real sense of discovery, you're just rediscovering something that someone else has already found. I had already decided that I would never do that again, and although i'm disappointed I didn't get that second place trophy, I don't think I'll _EVER_ score first place with this gang - kudos to you on your double win this month, ThinkBig!
Old 07-01-2017, 09:21 AM

Thanks L9UR9. Such a bummer that you put the time and effort in but came up empty.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:42 PM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

L9UR9 - You're right that going for long & high-scoring words isn't always that much fun, but it is addictive. I can't seem to stop, although each month I tell myself I'll lighten up on my goals & accept more words. (I do get a lot more satisfaction in finding new long words than re-finding old ones.) Anyway, it's too bad that you didn't get your June trophy.

thinkbig - Your humble opinion of a 25 word minimum makes sense. I wouldn't swear that I always would have reached that, since there are days that I won't get a single word I want to count. (Other days though, I might get 2-3.) Like you said though, with the current rules, you can just wait for the one BIG word to come along in the month & get a trophy.

Last edited by Spike1005 : 07-01-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1005 View Post
L9UR9 - You're right that going for long & high-scoring words isn't always that much fun, but it is addictive. I can't seem to stop, although each month I tell myself I'll lighten up on my goals & accept more words. (I do get a lot more satisfaction in finding new long words than re-finding old ones.)
I feel somewhat more satisfied when I find a new best/long word record than when discovering one somebody has already uncovered. But I enjoy the challenge of finding what they've found. Very occasionally I better the record, which is always a pleasant surprise. Also, for me anyway, it seems easier to find big words when you know one exists on that board. When you see puzzle stats before starting the game you don't know if those 9+ words are 9 letters long or <=24.

Last edited by thinkbig : 08-10-2017 at 05:40 AM.