Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 06-30-2018, 02:12 AM
Premium Member

Brisul is on the road to greatness
Default Does anyone pay attention to lifetime average?

Mine started in the 780s this month and I finally got it up over 800. Whew!
Old 06-30-2018, 02:16 AM

erakis17 is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisul View Post
Mine started in the 780s this month and I finally got it up over 800. Whew!
Awesome achievement!

I pay some attention, but I've played on and off for years, with enough total games that the average is slow to change. I pay more attention to my averages over the last couple months.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:52 AM
Premium Member

Brisul is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by erakis17 View Post
I pay some attention, but I've played on and off for years, with enough total games that the average is slow to change. I pay more attention to my averages over the last couple months.
It's because I have a smaller sample size of time here on the 5x5 boards that I was able to maintain such a high average. By the end of my time on 4x4 I was averaging over 700 nearly every month, yet my career average there is a little over 400. It's the same with records for scores and average number of words found. I actually have more high score records on 5x5 with nearly 10,000 fewer games played.

When I first started playing back in December of 2011, I had no real approach to my game. I just played, and that was how I played for the first couple of years. Now I only play for average and it's so much fun!
Old 06-30-2018, 03:08 AM

awkword is an unknown quantity at this point

It would appear that the lifetime stats 4x4 Average words field has not been updated for a long time, at least on my stats. I cannot speak to the other fields.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:36 AM

Estivate is an unknown quantity at this point

Never put much attention to it. As different months, I have different objectives. Certain ones I play all boards thus the averages will be lesser.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:50 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is something wrong with at least some of the average scores. If I take the average score per game and divide that by the average words per game, I get a result of nearly 8 points per word. I have never averaged much more than 5 points per word for any month I have played 5x5. I suspect the average score per game is wrong (too low) or the average words per game is wrong (too low). Further examination shows me that it's likely that the average number of words per game is the guilty party.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:47 AM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

I'd noticed that before too. As Spike1005, the same calculation of average points/word gives 2.76. It's quite a feat to get that low, since all words are worth a minimum of 3 points.