Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 05-23-2018, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Just made one of my most unique finds: NEBUCHADNEZZARS for 31 pts and 2 records. I noticed 2 z's on the right side of the board and thought they're usually together for a reason. Then I noticed nebu- and it dawned on me nebuchadnezzar has 2 z's. Followed the path and there it was!

Definition of Nebuchadnezzar
1. Proper noun. A ruler of Babylon in the Chaldean Dynasty who reigned c. 605 (B.C.E.) 562 (B.C.E.). According to the Bible, he conquered Judah and Jerusalem, and sent the Israelites into exile.

2. Noun. A very large wine bottle (named after the King) with the capacity of about 15 liters, equivalent to 20 standard bottles
I actually knew about the wine bottles, but I didn't know it was a universal thing, and I wouldn't have tried it in English, even if I'd known the correct spelling, which I didn't. :P
Well done!
Old 05-23-2018, 07:31 PM
Retired mailman

bigbells is on the road to greatness

I don't terribly often find a longer word than what's already been found on a 5 x 5 board that has previously been played 30 or more times.

One of the exceptions occurred a couple of hours ago, when I found and played "unclimbableness" and "unclimbablenesses", both of which were longer than the longest word previously found on the board.

Neither of those should be valid words, in my opinion, particularly because neither "climbableness" nor "climbablenesses" is a valid word.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:50 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbells View Post
I don't terribly often find a longer word than what's already been found on a 5 x 5 board that has previously been played 30 or more times.

One of the exceptions occurred a couple of hours ago, when I found and played "unclimbableness" and "unclimbablenesses", both of which were longer than the longest word previously found on the board.

Neither of those should be valid words, in my opinion, particularly because neither "climbableness" nor "climbablenesses" is a valid word.
While I agree with your premise that if a root isn't a word its derivatives also shouldn't be, I would lean in the other direction and ask that the root be also included, It is perfectly clear what the words mean, and I have actually seen "climbableness" used in print, in an article about rock climbing. I can't actually understand the appeal of climbing difficult slopes, but I understand that lots of people enjoy it.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:52 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
I actually knew about the wine bottles, but I didn't know it was a universal thing, and I wouldn't have tried it in English, even if I'd known the correct spelling, which I didn't. :P
Well done!
Thanks kate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbells View Post
...I found and played "unclimbableness" and "unclimbablenesses", both of which were longer than the longest word previously found on the board.

I have run into this problem quite a few times in the past and have just accepted it. Most of the time the negative noun is accepted but not the root.
Your particular example falls into erakis' theory of 2 dictionaries being used on WordTwist. The invalid words are <=15 letters and the other 2 are >15 letters.

[url]http://www.wordtwist.org/forum/showthread.php?p=9648#post9648[/url]

Last edited by lalatan : 05-25-2018 at 04:11 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:49 PM
Retired mailman

bigbells is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwt1213 View Post
While I agree with your premise that if a root isn't a word its derivatives also shouldn't be, I would lean in the other direction and ask that the root be also included, It is perfectly clear what the words mean, and I have actually seen "climbableness" used in print, in an article about rock climbing. I can't actually understand the appeal of climbing difficult slopes, but I understand that lots of people enjoy it.
That "climbableness" is not a valid WordTwist word was intended as a bolster rather than the prime reason for my opinion that "unclimbableness", and especially "unclimbablenesses", should not be valid words.

My opinion is based on trying to imagine anyone using either "unclimbableness" or "unclimbablenesses" in actual speech or text, which I was unable to do... perhaps my imagination is stifled, lol. I don't consider mentioning the words, in a discussion of whether or not the words should be valid for gaming purposes, to constitute "using" the words.

I went and found Erakis' 2-dictionary theory and the examples used to support the theory. I had missed the post previously. The theory makes sense.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:30 AM

snsmithaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More favorite words

Language doesn't necessarily make sense--we use words as we make them up, and sometimes they get in the dictionary. Think of the jedi-lightsabre words that only entered the dictionary with the new Star Wars movies.

My all-time favorite is still "absquatulate" (to abscond [with]), but yesterday I "guessed" a word that was in the dictionary:
flagitiousnesses: extremely wicked, deeply criminal, brutal

And, after first looking up what I missed, i've found these several times:
hemidemisemiquaver: a 64th note; a crocheted item with 4 tails
mithridatising: development of immunity to poison by gradual ingestion

I am so impressed with those of you who always show up with the longest words--it seems that the number of people who can find these is growing exponentially, and I am in awe. Even if I find a long word, I am likely to have a typo which negates the find, and I can't seem to train myself to look for prefixes. So congrats to those of you who are so talented at this!
Old 05-30-2018, 08:18 PM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

I have a new all-time favorite, finally beating out PROCRUSTEAN that started this thread.

TORDIONS

I only know what a tordion is because I played Peter Warlock's Capriol Suite in one of my orchestras last year.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:19 AM

For your possible amusement I thought I'd pass on this avian themed stat table before I blotted the best/longest word records with PHENOMENOLOGIES (28/15).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2CHICKENS, CENTREWINGS.jpg (52.3 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-06-2018, 01:11 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

I just found HIRPLE and HIRPLES. All those hours of watching old episodes of QI have finally paid off! (It means walking with a severe limp, btw. I knew that, too. )
Old 06-06-2018, 05:32 AM

Nice find Kate! Never knew that word (or QI before I looked it up just now.)

Last edited by lalatan : 06-06-2018 at 07:39 AM.