Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 02-27-2018, 03:30 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBeanie View Post
To be fair, Flops, North Americans spell and pronounce the chemical element AI as ALUMINUM not as ALUMINIUM and are thus not mispronouncing it by British English standards.
I've read that the American spelling actually came first. (Of course, no telling how we'd pronounce it if we used the British spelling.) I can't defend the too-common American pronunciation of nuclear. Then again, I grew up treating the first R in February as silent, and I've never shaken that habit.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:53 AM

flops has received several accolades

Well, Molly Be Damned! (and I will considered adopting you if you get that reference...)
Old 02-27-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flops View Post
Well, Molly Be Damned! (and I will considered adopting you if you get that reference...)
I'm not sure which one of us you were considering adopting, but I guess I'm out of the running since I had to look it up.

Assuming that you're talking about molybdenum, I should have gotten it. (Our esteemed EPA secretary recently tentatively approved much higher water contamination levels to accommodate runoff from the Climax (insert jokes here) Molybdenum mine here in Colorado.)

By the way, flops, I haven't heard anything for a while about your adventures there with children, parrots, work, etc., and I kind of miss it. How's it going?

Last edited by Spike1007 : 02-27-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:42 PM

erakis17 is on the road to greatness

Not sure it's in my top favorite words, but it's the first time I can ever recall beating lalatan and DrPlacebo for best word, so it gets an honorable mention for sure:

CORPUSCULARITY
Old 02-27-2018, 12:54 PM

justno is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by erakis17 View Post
Not sure it's in my top favorite words, but it's the first time I can ever recall beating lalatan and DrPlacebo for best word, so it gets an honorable mention for sure:

CORPUSCULARITY
Honestly, how the heck are you supposed to use that in a sentence! That being corpuscularity.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:55 PM

Good find! I've (rarely) beaten them separately, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have occurred to me.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justno View Post
Honestly, how the heck are you supposed to use that in a sentence! That being corpuscularity.
I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't come up in cocktail party conversation, but it probably has its place. A lot of words I'll use with mathematicians would never come up in any other context (and if they did, nobody would know what I meant).
Old 02-27-2018, 03:18 PM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't come up in cocktail party conversation, but it probably has its place. A lot of words I'll use with mathematicians would never come up in any other context (and if they did, nobody would know what I meant).
I really like but will probably misspell "homeoskedacity". I can SAY it, and I can recognize it when I see it, and I even know what it means and I've used it in professional speech.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:48 PM

I had to look it up of course, and assuming you mean homoscedasticity (which ws the closest I found), it does sound like a useful concept (although maybe not at cocktail parties). I should try to remember that. (Have you ever seen it in WordTwist?)

Last edited by Spike1007 : 02-27-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:35 PM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
I had to look it up of course, and assuming you mean homoscedasticity (which ws the closest I found), it does sound like a useful concept (although maybe not at cocktail parties). I should try to remember that. (Have you ever seen it in WordTwist?)
I've never looked it up. I heard it and had it defined for me by my statistics prof in grad school. And then I used it verbally myself, later. I never had to write a paper using it and my students never needed it, and it came up professionally only obliquely -- I discussed various moments of probability distributions, back when I was a quant and wrote mathematical models of the stock market for fun and profit (mostly the latter, and yes you can successfully do it and I did). You might look up GARCH models; I did some of them, but simple models are often better and easier to implement. One that worked well for quite a while (and doesn't now) is to use a basket of stocks to determine which ones are over and underpriced by a statistically significant degree, then buy or sell them against their current position. You buy the ones that are too low and sell the ones that are too high and do so about an hour after the market opens. About 5 minutes before the close, you get out and take your profit. Basically, you're betting against all the day traders who rely on rumors to buy and sell. You're assuming too many will buy and too many will sell and making money off them.