Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 05-19-2018, 06:41 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Today I'm back to procrastinating.

I'll smoke about any decent-sized cut of beef. (I saw the roast on sale, and on the spur of the moment, I decided to smoke it, since I hadn't done that in a while.) That doesn't mean that it's smart. It tastes good, but it's a little tough. It may have been better as a pot roast (or it just needed a lot more time in the smoker or the oven).
Old 06-01-2018, 05:40 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Whoa! When I totaled the numbers for last month I surprised myself by setting and retaining 916 best/longest word records in 819 games played. (I had no idea where I was at for the month.) I guess I must be improving. Last January I was hard at it every day to make 1k records in 25 days. It took me 1,056 games to get there.

I set another milestone yesterday when I achieved 16k lifetime best/longest word records.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:30 PM

lalatan, congrats on the 16k records! And congrats as thinkbig for the 1st place trophy!
Old 06-02-2018, 12:41 AM

lalatan, since you watch your records, I have a question. I don't normally track mine, but I've done a better job lately, and I've seen some weird behavior. In one day, although I got some new best/longest words, my longest-word stat actually went down, OK, I understand that someone could better my words & I'll lose a record, but 5 or so in a day seems unusual. Anyway, yesterday morning, I had 1610 best & 1620 longest words. I found 5 new best/longest words during the day. This morning, it now reports 1615 best words and 1636 longest words. Have you seen anything weird like that?
Old 06-02-2018, 01:56 AM

erakis17 is on the road to greatness

I'm also interested in anyone's observations on odd changes in "records held." Now that I've got a month's data from the 'unofficial records' script, I'm thinking of other monthly stats, like
"(increase in number of records held) / (games played that month)"

That seems like a nice indicator of how well you're currently playing, for whatever style of play. It would however be affected by the rate at which you play, because if your games played drops off one month, any records you achieve might be swamped by lost records from boards you played last month.

But if the # records held has weird positive fluctuations, it might be a fundamentally flawed measure on short time scales. I suppose I can just go ahead and test the script mid-month, to see if that shows any glitches.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
lalatan, since you watch your records, I have a question. I don't normally track mine, but I've done a better job lately, and I've seen some weird behavior. In one day, although I got some new best/longest words, my longest-word stat actually went down, OK, I understand that someone could better my words & I'll lose a record, but 5 or so in a day seems unusual. Anyway, yesterday morning, I had 1610 best & 1620 longest words. I found 5 new best/longest words during the day. This morning, it now reports 1615 best words and 1636 longest words. Have you seen anything weird like that?
I only take a screenshot at the end of the day. In months past I spot checked the next morning to see how many records I lost overnight and it varied from 0-17, which seemed strange I'd lose that many in a period of 9 hours or so. Then I checked to see if the stats changed each time I set a record and they updated every time properly. So I quit tracking all that and just played the game. (During that time I never saw any stats increase, always decrease.) Earlier this year I quit doing screenshots for about 3 months. So, that's my long-winded answer to your question. If it was happening, I wouldn't have known it because I just take 1 snapshot a day.
What you encountered is bizarre. What would trigger 1 total to go up that much and the other to go down??? Do the stats on the MyScores page update slowly, taking longer than 1 day? I'll check in the mornings now and see what happens. If that's occurring regularly, we should report it to admin.
Edit: Oh, and I never have tracked how many records I set for the day as I set them. Too much accounting for me. I let the "system" do it for me.

Last edited by lalatan : 06-02-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
lalatan, congrats on the 16k records! And congrats as thinkbig for the 1st place trophy!
Thanks Spike. Congrats on your 2nd place. I know full well that, if you wanted to, you could give me a run for the trophy and often succeed. It seems like nobody wants to take us on anymore.
Kate surprised me when she showed up in 5th place, must have gotten 51 games in late in the month.

Last edited by lalatan : 06-02-2018 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:51 AM

The few times I've checked just after finding a best/longest word, it does look like "My Scores" page reflects the change immediately. I have noticed that in the "Records" section where it shows stuff from the last 15 minutes or so, it doesn't always show everything. I usually get a separate listing for best word & longest word (assuming that it hasn't fallen through the cracks completely). Sometimes though, I just get one of those, even though I set both records.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I have noticed that in the "Records" section where it shows stuff from the last 15 minutes or so, it doesn't always show everything. I usually get a separate listing for best word & longest word (assuming that it hasn't fallen through the cracks completely). Sometimes though, I just get one of those, even though I set both records.
I've looked at that once in a while just to see if records are going through and what's going on with other players. Sometimes it updates fairly quickly and other times it takes so long I don't bother watching it and go back to playing.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:41 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Kate surprised me when she showed up in 5th place, must have gotten 51 games in late in the month.
I have to confess that during the site outage I got sidetracked and started playing another game, a world geography quiz. I'm not going to stop playing WordTwist, but I've slowed down a bit. This month I've also relaxed my goals a bit, after getting a good enough long word in 5x5 I'll play as many words as I can find in the remaining time. But maybe I'll go for a trophy again next month.