Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 09-27-2017, 05:10 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Congratulations! You'll be over a thousand soon.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:25 AM

flops has received several accolades

I would love to be flabbergasted by my own cleverness, but I can't even flabbergast my own children with my own cleverness (teenagers just have that suitably unimpressed thing nailed, don't they?).
Old 09-28-2017, 02:22 AM

I vaguely remember being a suitably unimpressed teenager, but it's been a long time. I have a friend who says something to the effect that, at some later point, your children will be flabbergasted by how clever you are & wonder how you got that way so fast, considering how clueless you used to be. (I just have cats. They're always unimpressed. OK, chicken & tuna do get their attention.)

Last edited by Spike1007 : 09-28-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:15 PM

I knew everything when I was a teenager, unfortunately my teenagers only think they know everything (except when they have a homework emergency, because like, wouldn't it just be easier for everyone if I resolved that emergency for them?). i have two parrots (Cheeky and Skittle) who say "thank you" when I feed them, and "yaaaay" at fairly appropriate times. I have an 18 year old labrador (Max) who has always been a bit like a surfer/stoner dog and uses the front window as his massive TV screen. I have a dog named Mud, who wakes the teenagers for me as I name the four of them, and again they are suitably unimpressed (but they blame the dog, not me). I don't have a cat. My neighbour has one (Arnold) he is way beyond unimpressed, he is actually disdainful. The teenagers use my playing boggle as some kind of timing device, for example....dinner might be ready in 1 game (nearly ready), 2 games (but I have to go out soon), three games (big sighs all round) or an indeterminate number of games (which means they can get it themselves). Maybe I should get a cat.

Last edited by flops : 09-29-2017 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:31 AM

It sounds like you have a pretty full house. It's a wonder you find time for WordTwist at all. I have two cats. They're not really as unimpressed as I portray them. They're just more subtle than parrots at expressing themselves. (I thought about them being able to say "thank you" and "yaaay", but that would be too weird.) One is pretty self-sufficient, although he does like being near me when it suits him. The other can be more demanding. A little earlier, he was lying down on the paper I use to keep track of stats for the boards I play (I can't trust myself to remember the longest/highest-scoring word played for three minutes) and using my mouse hand for a pillow. Then, he wanted me to feed him (although there's always food out). After that, he threw up somewhere, and then wanted me to let him out (although I have two cat doors & he can come & go as he pleases). Maybe I should get a teenager.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:00 AM

If I were a cat whisperer I would suggest that the whole throwing up/demanding food/making you open doors/lying on your stuff and mouse hand (even though that makes a little sense) indicates one or all of the following: disdain for the human that it owns; that it enjoys bullying you; it was some kind of emporer in a previous life. The parrallels between my children and your cats are quite odd. I would suggest a swap however I think the shipping of teenagers from Australia is prohibitively expensive, and the quarantine for cats coming into this island continent is expensive and prolonged. Maybe I should get a turtle (I already have two fish, Neptune and Beatrix).
Old 09-30-2017, 11:56 AM

Spike1006 is an unknown quantity at this point

I love cats, but I've spent much of my life trying to figure them out. Someone once said that the difference between a cat & a dog is that the dog thinks "He feeds me, he takes care of all my needs, he must be a god", while a cat thinks "He feeds me, he takes care of all my needs, I must be a god". I think that's pretty close to the truth. I've had one of my cats since he was a kitten (about 15 years ago). The other was a neighborhood cat who just decided to move in last year. (I've been in contact with the owner, and she's fine with it. The cat took objection to their new puppy and decided to relocate. Strangely enough, the owner's a small animal vet, and is known as the cat whisperer.) It was a rocky start as the second one settled in. One night about a year ago, I got out of bed & waded into a fight between the two. Big mistake. As I moved my older cat out of the way, the new one (Joey) attacked my leg from the back. He gave me some scars that I still have, and managed to do something bad to the tendon at the back of my knee. It took a couple of hours in bed (after I wiped away the blood) to realize that. That took months to go away. After all that though, he's a great cat.

Given the problems with trading cats & teenagers, maybe we're better off as we are.

Last edited by Spike1006 : 09-30-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:43 PM

I love my kids, but I've spent much of my life trying to figure them out. Someone once said the difference between a kid and a cat is that the cat thinks "She feeds me, she takes care of all of my needs, I must be a god", while the kid thinks "She feeds me, she takes care of all of my needs, I must be a god". Hey, hang on...that's the SAME!!! I've had all of my kids since they were born, and other people's kids since they started dating mine. The kids got me a puppy for my birthday seven years ago, but they have only a few objections and it doesn't look like they will ever move out. We have rocky moments and I often wade into arguments between two, three or four of them. Big mistake, but happily they never attack my legs. I have no physical scars from them, and I am too busy taking care of all of their needs, and playing boggle to ever spend many hours in bed. They take it in turns to do and say quite irrational things, and I don't think they will ever go away. After everything though, they are great kids.

Given the problems with trading cats & teenagers, I must agree, you are better off as you are.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:46 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

I don't have any pets, but I have two daughters (one is two, the other four years old) who do occasionally attack my legs. At least they don't have claws.
I, too, use WordTwist as a timer sometimes, although it's usually the other way around - I know how many games I get to play during a single episode of Caillou, for example. (For some reason, my girls love that show - will this become a problem later on in life? I wonder...)
Old 10-01-2017, 12:05 PM

Spike1005 is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
I don't have any pets, but I have two daughters (one is two, the other four years old) who do occasionally attack my legs. At least they don't have claws.
I, too, use WordTwist as a timer sometimes, although it's usually the other way around - I know how many games I get to play during a single episode of Caillou, for example. (For some reason, my girls love that show - will this become a problem later on in life? I wonder...)
My first thought was that if kids had claws, as a species we'd have died off long ago. Then I realized that we'd probably have claws too, but nice adult claws, and could properly chastise the kids when necessary. (Obviously cats have had to deal with this forever, and they're still around,)

I've never heard of Caillou (as with most kid's shows everywhere, since my cats don't insist on watching TV). Is there something subversive going on there?

I don't really have external limitations on the number of WordTwist games I play (aside from occasional cat demands for various things). That may be good or bad. I can play all day if I want.

Last edited by Spike1005 : 10-01-2017 at 12:11 PM.