Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 06-13-2018, 05:57 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Well, after tracking my daily stats for 9 days I've lost 33 best and 35 longest word records out of the 386 I set (1 day I played hardly any games).

So it seems that, despite the crazy swings in longest word totals day-to-day (a low of -25 and a high of 30), it somehow averages out. I spot checked once in while during that time and that's how it played out too. So strange.

I sent an e-mail to admin about it last Saturday asking why it started and why it's happening that way but no reply.

Last edited by lalatan : 06-13-2018 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
I started checking my daily stats again a month ago. I think my word-finding skills and vocabulary have improved since I last posted here. Last week I bettered my personal best of 60 with 71 best/longest word records set in 1 day. I was surprised because I didn't play all day. (I usually start late morning or early afternoon, take all evening off and then play a late night session of 1-1.5 hrs. Other days I don't play much in the afternoon either.) That day I also spent some time playing as thinkbig.

I think my next experiment will be to play most of the day when the time is right and see what total I can come up with. I'll let you know the results.
Last Friday I conducted the experiment. I got a bit of a late start. I intended to go for a bike ride that morning but my pain level was too high to do so. I also chatted with my wife. (She's in California visiting family so that's why the time was available to play Boggle all day.) I decided to go for it at 1 p.m. I wanted to know if I had really improved. Was my personal best of 71 records in a day just a result of wandering longest word record stats? (See the posts above about that.) How many records could I set in a day if I went at it hard? I finished at 1:30 a.m. I took meal breaks, eye breaks, bathroom breaks, and brain breaks. I figure my playing time was 10-11 hours.

I selected and played the games I usually would. I spent 1-2 minutes looking for a quality word and, if I didn't find one, I dumped the game. No analyzing the board after the game, looking up meanings or reading the word list like I normally would. Once I found a good word I submitted the game and then took a screenshot of the results page.
Yesterday I totalled the numbers on a spreadsheet from the screenshots I'd taken. The answer to my question of how many records I could set in a day was 1 of 3 alternatives:

Alternative 1: According to the WordTwist stats as shown below, I set and retained 109 best/longest word records for the day. The stats on the top are from the end of the previous day and the stats below it are at the end of the day.

Alternative 2:When I checked my stats that morning I lost 2 best and 8 longest word records overnight from the previous day's total. I didn't take a screenshot of that because I didn't know I would go for a personal best at the time. So I actually started the day with 10 less. That would bring my total to 119 records set and retained for the day.

Alternative 3: I totalled the records I set from the screenshots I took and entered them in the spreadsheet. Using those results I set 127 records for the day. I categorized them by the point value of the record set:
12-15 pts: 13 records
16-20 pts: 38
21-25 pts: 16
26+ pts: 60
Some of the lower point value words could be vulnerable to being overtaken but I felt pretty good about the strength of most of them.
Out of the 3 alternatives of course I select #3 since it is the actual amount of records I set.

A sampling of the words I found:

Exsanguinations (First heard that on crime shows. Gotta love that English can make bleeding out sound so complex.)
Idiomaticnesses (first time I found that)
Gutturalisations (just like the sound of that word)
Countercyclically (proud of that one; hadn't seen it before)
Thermoelectrons (tried it and it worked)
Metropolitanizations
Reliques for 18 points (my 7 years of French in grade and high school finally paid off!)

So I think I really did improve. Happy about that. It was an interesting experiment.

Last edited by lalatan : 06-17-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:40 AM

Oops, I forgot to attach the stats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAILY RECORD RUN END OF DAY JUNE 15-1.jpg (86.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DAILY RECORD RUN END OF DAY JUNE 14.jpg (91.8 KB, 83 views)
Old 06-17-2018, 12:47 PM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Damn! I'm really impressed! This month I've upped my threshold for what I'll take so my records have gone down, and it was never near yours.

By the way, my overnight elf points seem to have gone down. I haven't kept great track, but I seem to be losing more than I'm gaining.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:52 AM

Thanks Spike!
I'm still tracking my daily stats. I check in the morning to see what happened overnight and enter the totals in my spreadsheet. Despite some crazy overnight swings in totals, for the last 2 weeks it continues to average out about the same as the best word count. One morning the overnight longest word count went up by 30. But by mid-afternoon, 22 of them had bled off. Overall I average the loss of 2-3 records a day for both types.

Still no reply from admin about it for the last 9 days so chances are slim it will happen. Probably another limitation of this website we'll have to accept.

Last edited by lalatan : 06-18-2018 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:30 AM

You'd think that, if anything, a computer could count. For the most part, my best word count does exactly what I expect. It goes up according to what I find, and rarely goes down. I'm still convinced that I have more longest word records than I deserve, since I tend to set records in pairs.

One other strange thing I have is in my most words, highest scores records. The way I play, I only get those when I get an unplayed board & find a good word or so, Those usually disappear within a few days once somebody else gets their hands on them. I have an extra highest score record that hasn't gone away. It's possible that I got 2-4 really good words (although I don't remember that) and nobody had beaten my score yet. I guess it's possible, but a little weird.

Kind of related (based on the question of whether I'll be able to keep that record), does anyone here have an idea of the average lifetime of a board before it's retired? I'm thinking that it can easily be months, but I really have no way to check.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 06-18-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:30 AM

Yeah, I dunno why just the longest word stats skid around. (although I vaguely recall reading a post once upon a time where admin said some stats didn't update til next day)
Since you only take 26+ pt word records, I'd say you should have very little attrition in your records count nor should you have much difference in best and longest word counts.
I tend to take quite a few in the 16-22 pt range (something surprising I found after I tracked my daily stats), which could account for my daily losses. But who knows for sure?
I have no idea when boards are retired. Since I'm still collecting some 4x4 trophies, I am astonished to see some records I set as ibme54. I haven't actively played 4x4 under that ID since April 2016. Seems they hang around for a long time in 4x4 anyway.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

mdyak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It's been a crazy surprising run!

It's fun to read your conversation, lalatan and spike. I play games you have played all the time just trying to match your words (which I do a surprising amount of the time). I've swiped a couple of your records, lalatan. Spike, I don't think I've ever gotten ahead of yours. You both give me something to work towards.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:47 AM

Sounds like you're well on your way to your goals, mdyak. I've swiped some of your records too. I've never beaten Spike either simply because I don't play any games he holds the record. I learned through experience some time ago that any best word record of 26+ pts is almost bulletproof. And my mission is to better that record.

Twice I've toyed with only submitting games where my best word record is 26+ pts. But both times I've concluded that I'd miss finding too many interesting words. So I'm willing to accept some potential losses by playing those boards.

I go by the stats to select which games I play. But I also play by reputation too. There are 2 users whose records I better probably 95% of the time. When I see their name as the record holder I'll play that board even if their best word is 24 pts. I've bettered hundreds and hundreds of their records in the last year. (which is ironic because their records totals are in the thousands) Just this morning I played a board where the records were 16/9 set by one of them. The game was played 43 times. Yet within the first minute I played CENTRIFUGALISATIONS for 36/19. Remarkable that everyone else missed it too.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:01 AM

I can occasionally better 26+ point words, but as lalatan says, that's rare. It would probably be a better use of my time to skip those boards, but I take it as a challenge to find the existing words (and, of course, if they're worth enough, I'll keep them). My success rate varies, but existing words do seem to be easier to find than new ones. (That's hard to verify, of course, since I can never be sure what I'm not finding if nobody's found it yet.)

mdyak, keep at it. You'll beat me. I know that there have been times where I've missed an S (or used an S rather than a Z) too late to fix it. (And that doesn't even count the times where I didn't realize that I screwed up.) Not that long ago, I beat myself (I forget the word, but could probably find it), adding an OVER- to one of my words & getting 45 points. When that happens, let me know.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 06-19-2018 at 09:03 AM.