Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 01-08-2018, 10:10 AM

flops has received several accolades
Default Origin of names

I like some of the monikers here. I know where some of them originated, but would be interested to know where yours came from? I would also be interested if you have any theories as to some of the other names. I have already theorised that Dasan is a mystic oracle.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:41 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by flops View Post
I like some of the monikers here. I know where some of them originated, but would be interested to know where yours came from? I would also be interested if you have any theories as to some of the other names. I have already theorised that Dasan is a mystic oracle.
You know that I named myself after my cat (plus an address). What about flops?
Old 01-08-2018, 10:43 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

As you likely know mine came from what my granddaughter called me before she could speak well. My wife came up with it. She has a nickname for everyone. In retrospect, I wish I would have chosen something more manly sounding but I came to a point where I didn't want to lose all my stats by starting over under another username. thinkbig came about when I decided to become a big word hunter. When I chose both of them I thought it wouldn't really matter since I wouldn't be using them for long. Mistake: 50k games later....
I like names with puns in them like playonwords, MrsOut (can't think of any others right now). I think wittyname is witty. I always feel bad for scatalogitician since he takes so much crap in his job every day.
Btw, you didn't tell us why you chose flops.

Last edited by lalatan : 01-08-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:32 AM

JohnAkaMrP is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm John, and as a youngster I decided I liked Mr. Personality, who was a character created by Sandra Boynton. Don't quote me, but I think I've used John also known as Mr. Personality (JohnAkaMrP) as my screen name potentially as far back as AOL. It has the nice advantage of never being taken when I register on a site.

[url]https://www.amazon.com/Just-Call-Personality-Boynton-Coffee/dp/B0771T18WB[/url]
Old 01-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

Brisul is on the road to greatness

Mine's really easy. I'm Brian and my last name is Sullivan, so just take the first three letters of my first and last names and voila! The significance though, is that this was a nickname my Dad would call me when I was little and no one else did. When your name is Brian, people call you Bri (like rye with a B). When your last name is Sullivan, they call you Sull, or Sully. Rarely, if ever, did anyone call me Bri-Sull, except my Dad. So, there you go.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:58 PM

I have to agree with lalatan about his name, but only because my 15 year old daughter's nickname is Lala! I think I have a new way of pronouncing Brisul now too, because before I always thought "bristle", and he doesn't look that bristly.

One day I told a friend that I had a new email address, and he thought he could guess it, based on my names and my previous email addresses. He needed a hint, he needed several hints....I suggested that he think of small animal names, which didn't help him, and then to think about the children of George and Mildred, and then had to remind him that George and Mildred were the guinea pigs we had in primary school, then that they had three babies and it was one of those babies names....the names of the babies were Pixie, Dixie, and Trixie (for three years at school my teachers referred to me as Dixie and my two bf's as Pixie and Trixie). So, of course he guessed Flopsy (the sister of Peter, Mopsy and Cottontail), which was incorrect, but then the name stuck, he just kept calling me Flopsy, which is also part of my hotmail account name. In Australia if you have a long name, it gets shortened and if you have a short name it gets lengthened, (for example Davo, Johnno, Fitzy (for Fitzpatrick). I went to school with a group of boys who were called Simsy, Browny, Johnno, Davo, Jacko, Tog and Talent).

In real life I am called the following: Darling, Mum, Di, Flopsy, Dids, and Dink. Dink is short for Dinky Di, which in Australian means true, real or not fake. If I am ever called Dianne I know it's a telemarketer.

I thought that JohnAkaMrP, may have been a teacher, but know that I know the origins of his moniker, I just hope he doesn't also look like the Boynton character!

My other names in real
Old 01-08-2018, 11:24 PM
Keeps Trying

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

My full name is Donna McMaster. In the mid-90s when I started building websites, I decided to build one for myself, and called it "McDonna's." I've been using mcdonna as a nickname ever since, though over the years it's gotten less likely to be available.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Premium Member

fasteddieb is an unknown quantity at this point

My first name is Edward, although I go by my middle name Hugo. In school, teachers would always call role with Edward and I would correct them by saying that I go by my middle name. My last name initial starts with B. In junior high, one of my teachers called me Fast Eddie B and since then I've used it for online gaming handles. I used to play at lycos over 10 years ago when they had boggle there and I went by fasteddieb there as well.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:12 PM

need4speed is an unknown quantity at this point

fasteddieb - I always, always think your name is fast debbie. Sorry. I guess whatever it is that makes me see your name incorrectly could be the reason I'm not so good at this game

MegaWord - I deflate a little whenever a game comes up showing you holding the record/s. I shake the feeling off, gird my loins and once more into the fray I go, feeling elated if I manage to wrest a record from your grasp and claim victory as mine!!! ***insert evil, maniacle laugh here*** (Pity me; I have no life, lol)

I used to play a fun little game called Jardinains which was a bricks/breakout style game. There were gnomes that would randomly pop up and throw flowerpots at you. If you managed to knock them off their perch, you got bonus points and other surprises. And so, GnomeKnocker, my original moniker, came into being. Unfortunately, gnomeknocker typed ever so slowly and had trouble finding words, always ending up in the dark blue section.

After many games, I got faster and wanted to see if my overall stats had changed so I joined as need4speed. I eventually scored 600+ points from 100+ words! My stats are still woeful despite averaging around 50 words a game (a reasonable score for me since I don't reject any game and some only have 70 words available).

Wanting a change, I recently joined as JJBeanie. Struggling to think of a name, I looked at my son James for inspiration. He was wearing a beanie at the time and JJBeanie was born (I thought it sounded better than JW-Beanie his initials).

Sorry for the essay, but as I mentioned earlier, I have no life and this is a fun thread!
Old 01-09-2018, 05:21 PM

you're not the only one who always thinks of eddie as debbie (clumsily fastie deb??), need4, and I don't reject any games either, I think it's a superstition thing with me. I have no idea what my stats are, but I imagine they are comparatively dreadful, I enjoy playing and I love our forums, but I don't share the same motivation as the big guns. I play a lot of sport in real life, and I care quite a very lot then!