Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > Wordtwist.org Rules and Scoring

Old 04-28-2015, 08:42 AM
Retired mailman

bigbells is on the road to greatness

Username is circumstantial evidence. Scores are better evidence, but keystrokes or words-per-minute are absolute. What if a person with a similar name posed no scoring threat? Would you want to see them banned based on username alone?

I've at least stated a proposal that would deal not only with this specific situation but with other such situations in general. This is certainly not the first time a cheater has come aboard, and there are a good number of existing records at or near the top of the all-time high score lists which are held by obvious cheaters.

I remind y'all once again that at this time, there is no stated prohibition against cheating, no matter how many times people say that there SHOULD be such a prohibition, and no matter how many times people cite conversations that did NOT result in a rule being established.

Open question: if there was to be a maximum number of keystrokes or words-per-minute during the course of a 2-minute 4 x 4 game and a maximum number of keystrokes or words-per-minute during the course of a 3-minute 5 x 5 game, above which a person would be presumed guilty of cheating, what do you think those numbers should be? No one except myself has proposed even one actual number. "Faster than humanly possible" is a concept, NOT a number. So I ask you to think about it and propose actual numbers.

Last edited by bigbells : 04-28-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:06 PM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

I posted a maximum. Let's allow 250 words a minute or 1500 keystrokes per minute. Anyone posting more than that in ANY game should have all their scores and all their records expunged. Once a cheater, always a cheater.

As far as those running this site actually removing anything, I would imagine their response would be "it's only a game, guys".
Old 04-29-2015, 01:49 AM

dannyb is on the road to greatness

Ummm . . . It is only a game. No lives are lost, no money earned. Cheaters get nothing extra. I get satisfaction from my own improvement. I'm sure you are happy when you post a "new record" too.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:50 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheaters get enjoyment from tossing a spanner in the works, I imagine. They may even read our angry comments and chortle. That's their end of the bargain.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:51 AM
Premium Member

Brisul is on the road to greatness

Sorry Dannyb, but it's more than that to me and likely many of the people that compete on here in the monthly competitions. Sure, we don't get paid for it and no one gets actually hurt, but that's a pretty low baseline. I personally don't have the most exciting social life and this is one of the few things I look forward to. When I play each month, I try to average a higher score than the month prior and I like to make the top three each time. When someone cheats flagrantly and it knocks me out of that top tier, I feel incredibly frustrated. That's why I feel like something needs to be done.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:43 AM

dannyb is on the road to greatness

Well, I still believe that Hank Aaron and Roger Maris still hold the records for most career home runs and most home runs in a season, and I believe that you are one of the top three or four players on this site
Old 04-29-2015, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

Brisul is on the road to greatness

That's an incredibly nice thing to say. Sorry if I've seemed to be whining about this.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:01 PM
La plume de ma tante!

Stacks is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisul View Post
That's an incredibly nice thing to say. Sorry if I've seemed to be whining about this.
No, you're not whining. You're right. Cheaters make the competitions completely pointless. If cheaters are allowed to rank, there shouldn't be competitions. Take away the competitions, and maybe the cheaters will go away. In fact, we can start a thread posting our own monthly high scores and stats and compete with one another. Even start a kitty for prizes, if desired.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:16 PM
Keeps Trying

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks View Post
No, you're not whining. You're right. Cheaters make the competitions completely pointless. If cheaters are allowed to rank, there shouldn't be competitions.
Well said.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:00 PM
Retired mailman

bigbells is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwt1213 View Post
I posted a maximum. Let's allow 250 words a minute or 1500 keystrokes per minute. Anyone posting more than that in ANY game should have all their scores and all their records expunged. Once a cheater, always a cheater.

As far as those running this site actually removing anything, I would imagine their response would be "it's only a game, guys".
That would be good. It has to be one or the other though. 250 words per minute is equal to 1250 keystrokes per minute, not 1500.

I suspect that cheater software enters keystrokes a lot faster than that in a short period of time. The average over a 2 or 3 minute period might not be faster, but it would be good if, let's say, a person was considered to be cheating if 150 words (750 keystrokes) was entered in any 30 second period. I suspect that cheater software enters all of the words in just a few seconds.

Without having any actual programming knowledge, it intuitively seems to me that it would be pretty darn difficult for a cheater to work around a 750 keystroke per 30 second limit, and I don't think it's remotely possible for a legitimate player to enter 750 keystrokes in 30 seconds.

Last edited by bigbells : 04-29-2015 at 06:37 PM.