Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > Wordtwist.org Rules and Scoring

Old 05-30-2014, 10:17 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

On my Linux computer (short of memory, old processor, short on disk space), I can often start a game by typing in five or more words and have the timer not move at all, then have all five words accepted at once and have the timer jump five seconds or so. I wonder if any of the following are true:
1. It is possible for some process to screw with the system clock, perhaps on purpose, and if that would give extra time on the game?
2. If it is possible for the computer to get so busy with "more important" tasks that it is possible to queue up a huge number of words which will then all be processed in the same single computer second of time when the game finally gets its time-slice?
3. It might be the case that some task is trying to re-synchronize the system clock and when it does so it is possible for a task to take more than the allotted three minutes?
Old 05-30-2014, 04:14 PM

WriteSmith is on the road to greatness

Hmm...I can't really comment on this since I don't speak computer. I'm lucky I know how to turn the thing on. What I will say is that, after having played for three and a half years, I've never seen anything like it before. It's beyond me to know why it would all of a sudden go mental...

Last edited by WriteSmith : 05-30-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:49 AM

scheffek is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, that also happened to me not so long ago. I assume it was the installation of the new anti virus definitions that delay my (XP) system. But while typing on one of the big boards I went over a 1000 points and wondered, looking at the timer still left more than a minute ... I killed the game before it was finished. But I wonder how often that happened without me noticing. And typing is the fastest way of entering words (legitimately), I can assure you!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:27 AM

Gigazic is an unknown quantity at this point

Basically, I think that is a cheatable offence.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:45 PM

meeeep is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh noes. So I've been getting a few extra seconds . (Just timed on a good board and got about 2:03 instead of 2 minutes)
Old 09-28-2014, 06:50 PM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

And something else not right? I was #1 on the 4x4 longest word list for several days (actually, I was one of a multi-way tie for 11-letter words). And then I was #1 no longer -- for someone ELSE with an 11-letter word that had been previously used. I had thought that if you were first with the longest word, you'd stay first until someone else found a longer word. That doesn't seem to be the case at all. And then I wondered -- was I really the first one with an 11-letter word? How the heck are these things posted and who gets to be #1 at the end of the month?
Old 09-29-2014, 06:53 AM

WriteSmith is on the road to greatness

The way it works is that the 11 letter words are linked to the success of the best words. So, if you and I both get a word like "Plainchants" which is worth 20 points/11 letters, then we'll be even and the game, on a random basis, then periodically swaps the position of both of us until the end of the month. But, if one of us was to get a 22 point word such as "Quernstone" then that person would ascend to the top of both categories. However, if the other person then also found a 22 point word that would make us even again, and it would be back to the random swapping. In this case you can literally be top of both categories on the morning of the last day of competition and still not win even if you found both words first. By evening the random swapping could have seen you lose both, or in some cases, win one, but not the other. All of the above has happened to me numerous times. Please don't ask me why it works this way, and I personally think the first finder scenario would be fairer, but there it is.

It's a bit like The Hunger Games (ha ha) "May the odds be ever in your favour"
Old 09-29-2014, 07:28 AM

dannyb is on the road to greatness

Three days ago I got two boards with a "slow timer". The timers were normal before the first instance of a "slow timer", they were normal after that first instance, for about five games, and then I encountered the second "slow timer". I haven't seen one since.

I have not loaded any new software or anti-virus programs. It just "happened".
Old 09-29-2014, 10:25 AM

ShirleyMarquez is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwt1213 View Post
1. It is possible for some process to screw with the system clock, perhaps on purpose, and if that would give extra time on the game?
Not possible in normal user space on Linux. You need superuser rights to change the system clock. (I assume you're not logged in as root!) Anyway this is all browser-based so everything you see is running in Javascript, and that language has no access to the system calls that would change the clock.

Quote:
2. If it is possible for the computer to get so busy with "more important" tasks that it is possible to queue up a huge number of words which will then all be processed in the same single computer second of time when the game finally gets its time-slice?
Possible. But it's more likely that your browser is bogging down because of too many tabs loaded or some Javascript in another tab hogging your CPU. The scenario is a bit different depending on whether you are using Chrome (or relative) which runs each tab in a separate process, or Firefox (or relative) which runs everything in one process; either could experience a halt like that but the causes are slightly different. The worst pauses will happen if you run out of RAM and the system has to swap to disk.

Quote:
3. It might be the case that some task is trying to re-synchronize the system clock and when it does so it is possible for a task to take more than the allotted three minutes?
Again, impossible in user space. Unless your NTP (network time protocol) daemon runs, it is unlikely that the system clock would change.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:22 AM

galore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Something seems definitely NOT right

I admit to being very new here but I too feel like something doesn't seem right. I played the 4x4 board and got what I thought was a pretty decent word count 49 words or, on average, a bit less than 2.5 seconds to find and type each word. How is it possible that the "high word count' of another player was 126 words? How can they possibly identify a word and type it in less than 1 second per word? Does that seem reasonable?