Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > FAQs and Help Area

Old 01-11-2018, 06:12 AM
Premium Member

Brisul is on the road to greatness
Default Some times flummoxed

I come across boards that have upwards of 300 words in the ultra rare category and over 200 in the common, yet when the game starts, I can barely find enough words to rack up 300 points. I usually have to bail by the end of the first minute. Anyone else having this issue with games in the 5x5 grids?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:31 AM

RussDNails is an unknown quantity at this point

This happens--I think the word counts are not always accurate as I've come across board stats with <100 common words and 200 ultra rare and pop a 950+ score.

As a side note, it's becoming more and more difficult to find the really "rich" boards with lots of words and high scoring potential. My theory at least on the 5 x 5 side is that there are now more players than ever who have the ability to put up big scores--if the boards really are retired after a certain score is achieved the top players are selectively filtering out the best boards?

Best,

Russ
Old 01-11-2018, 10:36 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm playing the same game as you, but hardly in the same league. But I have the same problem, though I expect I have it a lot more often than you. I have thought to flip the game boards as soon as some of those games come up (ones with supposedly very many words, but a low highest score by a good player) but that doesn't seem to make any difference for me. On the other hand, I've seen boards that don't show many words but a good score by a player I think I can usually score higher than, and when I play those boards I usually do very well.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:48 AM

Yeah, I guess we all have our own "filters" and I think for the most part your strategy is sound. The board stats are a rough estimate of a board's potential but not nearly as accurate as they might be.

I've always thought that it would be interesting to eliminate all the preloaded stats entirely and just keep track of the players' scores. That would encourage people to play more of the more difficult boards and level the playing field really quick!

Cheers,

Russ
Old 01-11-2018, 02:32 PM

flops has received several accolades

huh?....ohhhhh, right....I get it! I am generally encouraged by having other stuff to do.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:39 PM

MegaWord is on the road to greatness
Default Pattern over Quantity

Just because a board has more words in it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to find more. If the board has the letter patterns and words you actually know in it, you'll do better. This is more prevalent in 5x5 because you can't use those small 3 letter words, plus there are more new boards in 5x5 than 4x4, which do not use the old pattern/algorithm - any consonant other than RSTN is once occurring. Nevertheless there are certainly many new boards that are very suitable for high scores.

bwt1213 - I've decided not to flip boards because the more I play them in the same format, the better I'll recognize them later. That memory will potentially help the next performance.

flops - Lol

RussDNails - I think it would be nice if admin randomized boards at the beginning of each month so we wouldn't keep finding the same best/longest words over and over. Maybe we don't need to keep playing the exact same boards forever. The unexpected can be fun.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:49 PM

Hi MegaWord,

I agree about randomizing the boards-- it's much too easy to find the longer words knowing from the board stats that such a word has already been found by another player. I also wish this could be more like traditional boggle without the preloaded premium words. I still play boggle with my family on a pretty regular basis and you'll see the -ness suffix very infrequently and -nesses almost never. Here you see it on about every third or fourth board!

Best,

Russ