Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 01-09-2018, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

I just found THEREMIN (14 points) for a new best word record. Finally a musical word that's worth some points as well
Old 01-16-2018, 09:43 AM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

FAUVE... I think I've gotten points for other artistic movements too.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:16 PM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

Here's a musical word that's worth some points:
REORCHESTRATED (26 points)
Old 01-25-2018, 06:51 AM
Keeps Trying

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Just set a new record on a board played 28 times with PHOTODISINTEGRATIONS (38/20).

Previous record holder? Me! With SILTATIONS (14/10).

Nice to see some improvement!
Old 01-25-2018, 07:25 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

WTG mcdonna! That is a giant leap forward for Oregonian womankind.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:09 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Congratulations mcdonna! I don't often better myself on boards I've played before. I could pretend that's just because I've already found the best word, but it's sometimes a challenge for me to even find what I played before.

I did come close to you today. I got BACTERIOCHLOROPHYLL (36/19) on a board that had been played 40 times, but the previous best word was 7 letter for 10 points. (Obviously you hadn't played that one before.)

Last edited by Spike1007 : 01-25-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:47 AM
Keeps Trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
Congratulations mcdonna! I don't often better myself on boards I've played before. I could pretend that's just because I've already found the best word, but it's sometimes a challenge for me to even find what I played before.

I did come close to you today. I got BACTERIOCHLOROPHYLL (36/19) on a board that had been played 40 times, but the previous best word was 7 letter for 10 points. (Obviously you hadn't played that one before.)
Thanks, Lalatan & Spike! Your encouragement means a lot to me.

And nice find, Spike! I've not yet found any words with CHLOROPHYLL in them. I do pretty well if I see syllables I recognize but sometimes I stare at a board and see no patterns I can work with. But I do think practice is helping.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:22 PM

If I don't see any promising syllables or word parts fairly early, I'm happy to abandon the board. (I'm sure that I've missed some good words that way.) I do tend to pay attention to CHL- or CHR- if they're there, and a P & H together or close trips my radar. Anyway, within a board or two after BACTERIOCHLOROPHYLL, I saw -PHYLLS, but couldn't do anything with it. (The most word-like thing I could find was a pathetic HERETOPHYLLS, which (unsurprisingly) didn't work.)

I assume that you're already pretty good at matching previous best words (except maybe some of DrPlacebo's or bananakarenina's & some others). I have no doubt that you'll get even better. You tend to get a LOT of words. Being a little choosier about those you take (say, only those that would raise your average) would leave me (as 007) in the dust.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:08 PM
Keeps Trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
I assume that you're already pretty good at matching previous best words (except maybe some of DrPlacebo's or bananakarenina's & some others). I have no doubt that you'll get even better. You tend to get a LOT of words. Being a little choosier about those you take (say, only those that would raise your average) would leave me (as 007) in the dust.
On a day when I got enough sleep and my brain is functioning, I can find about 80% of previous best words. But some are just not in my patterns. Like I just missed ENTHRONIZATIONS. I found the NIZATIONS but couldn't figure out the first half. And yes a lot of DrPlacebo's words are just jaw-dropping. Yours, too!

I'm averaging about .7 words/board. Early in the month I was taking any words over 22 points but the past couple of weeks I've limited my plays to 30+ points. Enough of them are 30 points that my average is unlikely to go above 31, which means I may or may not catch you.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonna View Post
I'm averaging about .7 words/board. Early in the month I was taking any words over 22 points but the past couple of weeks I've limited my plays to 30+ points. Enough of them are 30 points that my average is unlikely to go above 31, which means I may or may not catch you.
OK, maybe not this month (although you do have a shot), since the number of words you have makes it hard to up your average easily. Next month though...

Today, on 31 boards with 14 or longer letter words already found, I was able to find just 20 of those. I don't normally keep track, but 80% sounds pretty good.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 01-25-2018 at 04:04 PM.