Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > Wordtwist.org Rules and Scoring

Old 03-31-2017, 04:05 PM

Mini8658 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Suggestion! % correct!

Hi, so I've been browsing through these forums ^-^ :3 and a common conception seems to be that low scoring boards don't give much points, and players are having to skip them in order to remain competitive. People seem to either want a good score (relative to the board) to count or more incentive for users to play low scoring boards.

How about this? Instead of ranking the players by average words or average points per game, how about average percentage of all possible words/points per game? So that even if you get 35 words on a 39 word board, that changes to 89%, which is the same as 89% on a high scoring board and etc? This would change virtually nothing as the amount of points/words a user finds per round correlates to the % out of all possible words etc so already competitive players (I know some players just play it for fun ) can still use those big boards etc. It just adds the pool of low scoring board into the mix, and it may even motivate people to specially seek them out because a higher percentage may be easier to gain on a smaller board as there are less words to find.

What does everyone think of this idea?
Old 03-31-2017, 04:11 PM
Premium Member

Brisul is on the road to greatness

That was the design on Scramble when it used to be on facebook. (I left facebook as soon as they got rid of Scramble, by the way)
The way it worked was just the way you described, and the end result was your 'word IQ" if I remember correctly. I actually used to seek out the smaller boards and avoid the high scorers. I like this system here though and I wish they would cut down on the number of low scoring grids out there.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini8658 View Post
This would change virtually nothing
I'm not sure for whom this would change virtually nothing. It might work as an additional statistic, but replacing the current system with your proposal would change things up quite radically.

The thing about boards with fewer possible words is that they either have fewer possible combinations due to a whole section being "closed off" by a jumble of consonants, or they have fewer common consonants and vowels, resulting in fewer, rarer words that may still be worth quite a few points. Playing these boards usually takes a different playing style than just playing the better ones. They aren't as limited by typing speed, but a larger vocabulary can be quite helpful. So if someone is hampered by typing speed on the bigger boards, but has a vast knowledge of obscure words, they may get a much better percentage on the smaller boards than the faster players might manage on boards with hundreds of possibilities. If there are 400 possible words in a 4x4 and the record is a whopping 200 words, that would be just 50%. If you manage to find 80 words in a game with just 100 possibilities, that's 80%. Of course, finding 80% of all possible words is a great achievement, but that doesn't make another person's 200-word record worthless.

So in essence: I think your idea would be a nice additional statistic, but shouldn't replace any part of the current system.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:39 PM

Mini8658 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisul View Post
That was the design on Scramble when it used to be on facebook. (I left facebook as soon as they got rid of Scramble, by the way)
The way it worked was just the way you described, and the end result was your 'word IQ" if I remember correctly. I actually used to seek out the smaller boards and avoid the high scorers. I like this system here though and I wish they would cut down on the number of low scoring grids out there.
Damn, that sounds like an awesome system!

Me too. They're so useless. Who is ever going to need a 17 common, 9 wide, 11 rare and 19 ultra rare board? xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
I'm not sure for whom this would change virtually nothing. It might work as an additional statistic, but replacing the current system with your proposal would change things up quite radically.

The thing about boards with fewer possible words is that they either have fewer possible combinations due to a whole section being "closed off" by a jumble of consonants, or they have fewer common consonants and vowels, resulting in fewer, rarer words that may still be worth quite a few points. Playing these boards usually takes a different playing style than just playing the better ones. They aren't as limited by typing speed, but a larger vocabulary can be quite helpful. So if someone is hampered by typing speed on the bigger boards, but has a vast knowledge of obscure words, they may get a much better percentage on the smaller boards than the faster players might manage on boards with hundreds of possibilities. If there are 400 possible words in a 4x4 and the record is a whopping 200 words, that would be just 50%. If you manage to find 80 words in a game with just 100 possibilities, that's 80%. Of course, finding 80% of all possible words is a great achievement, but that doesn't make another person's 200-word record worthless.

So in essence: I think your idea would be a nice additional statistic, but shouldn't replace any part of the current system.
True. I notice when I do play smaller boards, I have more time (due to not having to spam type large combinations the moment I see them) to come up with rarer smaller words. Which come to think of it, does require a different skill set, so it would be incredulous to suggest there is 'virtually no difference' for frequent players of larger boards. Perhaps this was not a well thought out idea afterall xD
Old 04-01-2017, 03:32 AM
Premium Member

fasteddieb is an unknown quantity at this point

How about an additional award for most number of high scores or highest words on boards? Maybe that would encourage people to play the lower scoring boards.