Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 04-16-2018, 03:19 PM

flops has received several accolades

Thanks, kblickster! not just for the entertaining description of your husbands activities, or the suggestion, but because you said "I can't stand being still". Yaaay! I am not alone! If mine tries to teach me to meditate (without falling asleep) one more time, I think I will....grrrrrr....probably I will just sigh, get my own chief of staff, and try to think of some consequence for the next time....after I wake up.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:41 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblickster View Post
Flops, if you are near mountain streams you need to invest in a gold pan. I pan for gold while my husband solves the worlds problems with the aid of his cabinet, dark amber ale, craft beer, moonshine, and his chief of staff, vodka tonic. I can't stand being still. Panning for gold is not very lucrative, but it does keep me occupied and I have found gold, just one little nugget and lots of little flakes.
I actually know where there IS gold, and I have seen in in a small stream (when I was a kid, probably 10 - 13 years old, so about 60 years ago now). In the spring after the winter runoff, you could see the fine flakes in the sandbars. The stream was near an old gold mine, so it was called "Gold Mine Creek", and the mine had been abandoned when the price of gold fell too far. I'll bet the mineral rights are tied up, too. But if you want to see it for yourself, it's in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, about 10 miles northwest of Ishpeming. Probably if you panned for gold there you might get an ounce of very fine gold in a day or two. And that might be it until next year. If anyone tries it, let me know how it turns out.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:02 PM
Premium Member

kblickster is an unknown quantity at this point

Well this thread will be dead for a while. GOLD RUSH!
Old 04-18-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblickster View Post
Well this thread will be dead for a while. GOLD RUSH!
They will be disappointed, then. Spring in that part of the UP doesn't start until the first week of July. And I'm not joking.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:53 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

I'm glad that I didn't buy my gold pan & rush off just yet. Thanks! (Then again, I could probably just go through my basement & find stuff that I forgot I had that's worth more than an ounce of gold. Of course, I don't think it replenishes with the spring runoff. Maybe with spring garage & estate sales?)

Last edited by Spike1007 : 04-18-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:57 PM

what's the UP, anyways? Google tells me: Unforgiven Promises, Uncrossable Parrallel...)
Old 04-18-2018, 05:42 PM

Upper peninsula. I'm sure that bwt can be more precise.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:23 PM

what might it be the upper peninsula of?
Old 04-19-2018, 02:17 AM

Michigan. The great lakes basically split the state in two parts, the lower & upper peninsulas.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flops View Post
what might it be the upper peninsula of?
The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is practically a wilderness preserve, rather like Maine but with far fewer people. It is rocky terrain, with a lot of rivers and lakes, with Lake Superior to the north and Lake Michigan to the south. There are places there where you can drive 40 miles or more and see not a single house, no power lines, no evidence of inhabitation other than the road you're on. The weather is brutal; I remember, growing up, snow in every month of the year and winter temperatures colder than -40, with winter season snowfall of more than 300 inches and snow still on the ground when school let out for "summer" vacation.

I told my wife stories about the UP and us Yoopers who were raised there, and she thought they were all a pack of fables. The year her sister got married, we left the wedding reception near Detroit in mid-August. The temperature was 97 (about 36, for you celsius fans) with high humidity and heat lightning. We drove straight through the night and stopped the next morning in a small town (there are NO large towns in the UP) called Munising. We stopped for fuel and breakfast about 6AM, and passed the local bank that showed the time and temperature. My wife noticed that it said 39 degrees (4 celsius) and declared that some bulbs must have burned out. She hopped out of the car at the gas station, and every exposed patch of skin became goosebumps. The next morning, at my parents' house, there was ice on the birdbath and the jays were pecking at it and trying to make a hole to get to the water. The leaves on the trees had changed. I reminded her that it was August, which meant it was fall. "Then when is summer?" she asked. "Third week of July," I told her. "And we hope for good weather". She didn't really believe me, because a few years later when we visited on the 4th of July weekend, she was surprised to see the spring flowers in bloom. I reminded her again.

And don't get me started on the bugs during the summer. They are incredible. They can't get you for most of the year, so when they feed they FEED.