Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 04-08-2018, 06:11 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Annnnd I'm back in the lead! I finally, finally got a board containing OVERINTELLECTUALIZATIONS and got two words worth 45 points each!
Old 04-08-2018, 07:21 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Congratulations kate! I assume that I'll go up & down, given my self-imposed rules (and I already found OVERINTELLECTUALIZATION/S). I just saw thinkbig's score, and he'll probably beat both of us, but I'm hoping you can come in at least second.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:43 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

It's nice to see you back in big words fray, kate. Congrats on both your 2 45's games.

Last edited by lalatan : 04-08-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
I've been seeing the PHOSPH- combination again lately. Yesterday I got PHOTOPHOSPHORYLATION/S (I was quite happy), so maybe they're back.
Yup, they're back! As I wrote previously I've found PHOSPHORES (18/11) twice recently. Just now I found PHOSPHATES (11/10) and then SUPERPHOSPHATES (22/15).

Last edited by lalatan : 04-08-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:13 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
Congratulations kate! I assume that I'll go up & down, given my self-imposed rules (and I already found OVERINTELLECTUALIZATION/S). I just saw thinkbig's score, and he'll probably beat both of us, but I'm hoping you can come in at least second.
I'm not aiming for the first place trophy, but it's nice to be ranked first even if it's only temporary.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
I'm not aiming for the first place trophy, but it's nice to be ranked first even if it's only temporary.
Temporary is nice, but you can never tell what will happen at the end of the month, so good luck!

By the way, I've tried, but I'm pretty sure I've never found something better on a board where you have the best word (and I can't say that about a lot of players).
Old 04-09-2018, 11:35 AM

I know both you and kate have bettered my records after I missed adding a prefix or suffix.
I'm curious. Who else's best word score haven't you bettered?
Old 04-09-2018, 12:20 PM

I don't really keep track, so I go with my (admittedly faulty) memories, and I go by names I recognize. I know I've never beaten you as thinkbig. I wouldn't swear that I've beaten mcdonna either. The more records they set though, the better a shot I have at beating them eventually. When I started playing, I noticed that I'd have a hard time beating (or even finding the old words of) Evelyn64 and bananakarenina, although I think I've managed that occasionally. I think I've bested DrP rarely, although more often, his longest word is one that I would never have thought of. There are a number of other players who are good at long words, but at least I don't feel too intimidated when I see that they have the record. (By the way, to beat a record, I'd want something worth 26+ points to count. If it doesn't hit that threshold, it doesn't count with me.) I should try paying more attention.

I'm sure that others have bested me. There are a few games I realized (too late) that I could have added something, and I'm sure that there were many others where I didn't know I could improve my word. Much more common (but unnoticed) are the boards where I couldn't find anything worth typing, but I KNEW there was something good there. I'm sure that others found what I couldn't.

How about you?

Last edited by Spike1007 : 04-09-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:30 AM

Like you I haven't really kept track. As best as I can recall: I tried bettering Evelyn64 and bananakarenina a few times but didn't succeed. I beat DrP's record once. I just beat pmoffit last week. Don't think I ever bettered Dasan. I set new records on 1 of kate's boards once. I don't believe I've ever bettered any of your records. I never take on any of your boards though since your best word point values are so high. I usually only play boards where the stats show me that I have a chance of winning new records. So I seldom come up against the big guns as it is highly unlikely I'll succeed. But if I like the stats I'll give it a go.

There are 2 users whose records I better 90-95% of the time. They play for points and words but dabble in longer words as well. They must look for the same type of stats as I do. At first I thought it was because they were still developing their skills but it has been going on for months now. I've beaten their records literally hundreds of times now over the last year.

Last edited by lalatan : 04-10-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:26 AM

Our strategies for choosing boards are different. I'll play pretty much any board where I can raise my score by finding the previous best word, or there's a possibility (however remote) that I can find a new 26+ point word that beats the old record. I also consider it a challenge to find any existing 14+ letter or 26+ point word on a board I play (whether I'll accept it or not), and kind of consider it a failure if I can't. (Yesterday, I think I had about 4-5 in a row where I missed them.) Anyway, if you go up against someone's good boards enough, chances are you'll eventually find something they missed. I have no doubt that if you played all the boards you ran across where I had the best word, you would have found something better.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 04-10-2018 at 08:59 AM.