Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 07-18-2018, 04:58 PM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

CAVALERO/CAVALEROS -- seems to be an alternate form of "cavalier" that came from the Portuguese "cavaleiro" or Spanish "caballero" rather than the French...
Old 07-20-2018, 07:15 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Nice find DrP.

Some time ago I played DEXTEROUSNESSES, mainly because DEXTROUSNESSES wouldn't work. I had never encountered the alternate spelling for it.

On another board I recently played CORTICOTROPHINS and surprisingly it was valid. I found each half separately and since there was nothing else I joined them together. You likely know its meaning. I didn't even look it up because I'd forget it anyway.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:46 PM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

Oh, here's another short one that I, uh... SORTA didn't expect to get points for.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:00 AM

I decided to try a board with only 95 words available, I thought maybe I'd find one of the 9+ words there. After spotting ZOOLOGIST I scouted for a prefix for it. Eventually I ventured CRYPTOZOOLOGIST (not knowing what that might be) and it was worth 31 pts! I wasn't as surprised it was valid as I was by its definition: 1. Noun. Study of (animals) whose (existence) has not been proven.
Amazing that such a job description even exists. Must require imagination.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:57 PM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

I'm pretty sure that I've gotten some form of that word before. We obviously have different taste in books. I've read quite a bit of cryptozoological stuff over time.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:27 AM

Even books written on the topic. I've obviously led a sheltered life. I suppose there are cryptoarchaeologists, cryptobotanists etc. postulating their imaginative theories. (Even mathematicians study imaginary numbers. )

Whenever I read the Annals of Improbable Research, I'm always amazed that people are so willing to throw large chunks of money at scientific studies(?). (My fave is the international team of scientists who studied how herrings communicate with each other by farting.) They also must be marketing geniuses to secure their funding. (While thinking on the topic I recalled many years ago the Canadian gov't bought a painting for $2 million and placed it in the National Gallery. There was an uproar about it (justifiably so IMO) because the painting was 2 rectangles of the same size, the upper 1 yellow and the lower 1 blue. Somehow this artist had duped the art community into thinking it was very special. They may consider him a brilliant artist but I consider him one of the most brilliant con men in history!)

The books I've read were mainly about history, photography, psychology, relationships, biographies, some fiction, very little science. I get most of my science and nature info from TV documentaries. I haven't cracked open a book in years actually. Do most of my reading on the internet now.

Edit: on the subject of "I never thought it would score," I just crafted and played IMMUNOSORBENTS (26 pts). Never heard of or saw it before.

Last edited by lalatan : 08-12-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:23 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

I wouldn't swear that I've seen the term CRYPTOZOOLOGY in the book titles (although I probably have), but I'm sure that you're aware of books on the Loch Ness monster (and other lake monsters), sea monsters, Bigfoot, etc. A long time ago, I was more accepting of all that stuff, but for the last 20 years or so, I've read a lot more about the skeptical side (and my views have changed accordingly). It's still fun to read though.

As far as studies on herring farts go, I m pretty much a fan of basic research, whether it leads anywhere or not (and doesn't cost tons of money). A lot of it does look like wasted money, but there's no way to tell how that will end up fitting into our view of the overall scheme of things. Little things like why bee colonies collapse is important, and it's hard to tell when any discovery will be relevant. In a way, I think the more we know about our world, the better.

I have to admit that art is a different matter. I like some art, but a couple of colored rectangles does seem kind of pretentious. (Maybe if you tilt your head and cross your eyes just right, you see one green rectangle?) I do see art as a big part of our civilization, but I have to admit that I don't really appreciate it that much. (Music is another matter, and has been a big part of my life.)

OK, I like IMMUNOSORBENTS. I always try to make something with IMMUNO-, but I don't think that would have occurred to me.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 08-12-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
I m pretty much a fan of basic research, whether it leads anywhere or not (and doesn't cost tons of money). A lot of it does look like wasted money, but there's no way to tell how that will end up fitting into our view of the overall scheme of things. Little things like why bee colonies collapse is important, and it's hard to tell when any discovery will be relevant. In a way, I think the more we know about our world, the better.

...(Music is another matter, and has been a big part of my life.)

OK, I like IMMUNOSORBENTS. I always try to make something with IMMUNO-, but I don't think that would have occurred to me.
I have to agree with your statements on research. Our quality of life has improved dramatically in recent decades due to a LOT of scientific research. The search for valid discoveries entails hitting a lot of dead ends. Like you, I approve of it as long as it's not totally frivolous and doesn't cost a ton of money for little benefit.

I also have enjoyed music much of my life, art not so much.

It's true when you see IMMUNO- on a board it almost always means there something good to be played.
Old Today, 06:57 AM

Just played a board where early on I spotted -metries. Soon afterward I saw you could add chrono to it. Searched some more and noticed geo-. I tried GEOCHRONOMETRIES (30 pts).
1. Noun. (geology) the science of the measurement of the age of rocks etc. based on the radioactive decay of naturally occurring isotopes