Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 05-27-2015, 09:08 PM

Mini8658 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How did you get into wordtwist?

Hii, I've occasionally browsed around in forums, but besides making one little thread, I haven't really engaged at all. So to get to know the wordtwist community better, I thought to make a thread on how did we all get into wordtwist!

Sooo...how did you get into wordtwist?

How did you discover the site?

Favourite and Least Favourite thing about it?

Most hilarious moment on wordtwist?

Anything else you want to add.

Share your stories! (*mentally braces for awkward moment when nobody replies xP*)
Old 05-27-2015, 09:16 PM

p.s. I apologise if this has been done before!

And I guess I should answer my own thing...

I got onto wordtwist through another site; Brainbasher's. Prior to them both, I hadn't really played any word games or anything, but knew they existed. So one day when I was messing around in my free time, I googled word games, found some on this site called Brainbasher's, and then messed around on that site for a bit. Then I found this one called 'Daily Wordtwist', and found it really fun. I was hooked for the next few days, and then it came to my knowledge that this game had it's own website; and that one board was selected each day to be hosted on that site, I found this one, and found it really interesting. I played regularly, but it took me quite a while to make an account though...:P

So that was how I got onto wordtwist. My favourite thing about it, is the fact that you can play game after game, and it'll never run out/there'll always be a board available for you to play, and the game stats, which I think give a competitive edge :P My least favourite thing about it is actually the lax dictionary (it more so encourages making up words, rather than using the ones you know :P) and my most hilarious moment was playing with a friend, and we were both typing random things in hopes that it would qualify for a word (and they did!) and doubling over with laughter at what we had written :PP

(hope I didn't all bore you with that lengthy description LOL :P)
Old 05-28-2015, 02:01 AM

dannyb is on the road to greatness

I got into Wordtwist because I was a Boggle player. I used to play Boggle with some Scrabble players who were hung up on the "American" Scrabble dictionary. Here at least the SOWPODS is used for accepting words. The word list allows you to look up the definitions by clicking on the word. "I sar my bap as I moop."

I too like that I can play game after game.

Plus 99.9% of the folks on this site seem very nice.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:35 AM
Premium Member

Brisul is on the road to greatness

I used to play Scramble on Facebook. When they got rid of it, I closed my Facebook account and went on my search. I came here in December of 2011 and haven't turned back.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:55 AM

Cerise is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

One day when I wanted to play Boggle on Wordsplay, the site didn't work, and as I wanted very veeeery much to play, I made a search to find another and found this one.

I like the stats and the possibility of progressing. The dictionary seems to allow almost anything but it's nice finding long words that one really knows.

I play since january but I find myself quite at home on this site .

Good plays to all, don't mix your fingers !
Old 05-28-2015, 05:37 PM

WriteSmith is on the road to greatness

Welcome to WordTwist, Mini...

I played the traditional boggle for the first time one evening with some parents at a camp we went on with our children. Much to my surprise (and probably everyone else's) I won nearly every game! Some time after this it occurred to me that you might be able to play online, and low and behold, I discovered WordTwist. I was terrible at first but slowly improved and find it hard not to play every day. That was four and a half years ago!

Favourite thing? Getting those lovely yellow stars and growing my trophy collection.

Least favourite? Not being able to easily sift through games to play the games I like best (life's too short to play games you don't enjoy, right?)

Most hilarious moment? Some of the forum comments have really made me laugh over the years. There have been a few arguments too between players - some people take it all very seriously! The only thing that ever gets me riled up on the forum is being accused of cheating.

Anyway, good luck with your playing - and thanks for asking!

WriteSmith
Old 05-28-2015, 06:23 PM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was playing Boggle on Pogo games and I'd played long enough that I was actually seeing improvement in my play. I wasn't happy with the dictionary they used, especially since a lot of the words I knew to be words and had used and seen used were not accepted.

And then came the day when Pogo informed me that my version of something-or-other was out of date and needed updating. And so I did, to be be informed that now it needed to be reconfigured. And nothing I could ever do (and I tried for weeks) could ever let me play any Pogo games ever again. And so I sent email to Pogo and never got a reply.

I hunted around and found this site. The dictionary still isn't good enough, but it's far better than the one Pogo used. I haven't yet been told that my whatever-it-is is out of date, and I've actually gotten nice replies from the person/people running the site. I wouldn't play Boggle on the Pogo site now if you paid me. I really do wish the dictionary used here was more complete (and yes, I know it's SOWPODS). I will say that when I played Scrabble and Boggle more regularly, we used a two-volume Oxford Unabridged dictionary. Someone ought to use THAT one, and then maybe we wouldn't have people with no lives memorizing the whole dictionary.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:31 PM

Seems like a lot of us got onto it through other sites :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
The word list allows you to look up the definitions by clicking on the word.
Haha yeah, though I nearly always forget to XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
"I sar my bap as I moop."
I prefer my bread in slices, not rolls in order for me to sar it. Ahh...that's three new words added to my vocab today xP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
The dictionary seems to allow almost anything but it's nice finding long words that one really knows.
Yeah, I love that feeling! I find it happens more on 5x5 than 4x4 though, you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteSmith View Post
Welcome to WordTwist, Mini...
Ty ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteSmith View Post
Not being able to easily sift through games to play the games I like best (life's too short to play games you don't enjoy, right?)
I know right!? That's often a pet peeve of mine. I wish you could sort games by their word count.

Have fun with your playing, and good luck

Aw, sorry about the Pogo thing. Sounds like it was quite a pain in the neck...just to clarify, does the two-volume Oxford Unabridged dictionary have more variety or less when compared to the SOWPODS?
Old 05-29-2015, 03:00 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Oxford Unabridged dictionary has about three times as many words as SOWPODS, if I remember the word count correctly, It also includes all the derived forms, which makes for a big difference -- a lot of the "words that SOWPODS won't accept" are derived forms that are clearly words by any understanding of the rules, and I quit playing Scrabble when people would complain that the exact word I used wasn't in their little dictionary, or wasn't in the official Scrabble player's dictionary (which is even worse than most standard dictionaries). It wouldn't even get their attention if the word could be looked up on line or if I could define it correctly -- it had to be on their list to count. This site has a better word list than the American Scrabble dictionary, even though this list is maddeningly incomplete sometimes.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:41 AM

ChiliCheesecake is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mini,

I started out at Lycos Playsite Tangleword way back around 1995, if anyone remembers that place, I think it shut down in the early 2000s. I was a very casual player back then and basically didn't play for 10 years until getting back into it around 5 years ago on Pogo briefly and then at Serpentinegame, where I still play. I found Wordtwist last fall, probably through a Google search, I'm always looking for alternative places to play.

What I like best about Wordtwist is the casual pace, I can play a round when I want unlike room-based boggle where I have to start when the room round starts. I also like the extensive data available, much more than any other place I've played. If I have one complaint, I'd maybe like more data about my word tendencies relative to others, etc...