Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > Wordtwist.org Rules and Scoring

Old 12-15-2018, 02:37 AM

Nylimb is an unknown quantity at this point

EMPATH isn't allowed, although EMPATHY, EMPATHIC, EMPATHIST, and some other longer forms are.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:54 PM

Nylimb is an unknown quantity at this point

I just played RADIOPHOTOGRAPHS, but RADIOPHOTOGRAPH was rejected. I tried typing it 3 times to be sure.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:36 AM

dannyb is on the road to greatness

Also saison. Drank one on New Years Eve. The game takes lager and pilsner though.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:22 AM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

I just tried SAISON too. No luck.

Also, on the same board, I got points for REEXPEL and EXPULSION, but not REEXPULSION.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:00 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPlacebo View Post
I just tried SAISON too. No luck.

Also, on the same board, I got points for REEXPEL and EXPULSION, but not REEXPULSION.
This reminds me of my youth, when I often saw "today" spelled "to-day", and "tomorrow" spelled "to-morrow". Personally, I would not accept "reexpel" and would demand a dash, but I guess everyone by now knows that I'm an old fuddy-duddy.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:16 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

I may be borderline, but I've also seen hyphens disappear. (I'm only 65, but then maybe I don't remember.) Maybe this is a little too esoteric but I've seen multi-grid turn into multigiid in the literature (and I'd love to see that come up in WordTwist). I'm sure there are other math & other science terms that evolve over time.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:38 PM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

i suspect my sources were older than yours, because my youth was spent trying to read every book in the Ishpeming Public Library. It was a Carnegie Library, meaning the building and the books had been donated by Andrew Carnegie. The books were cherished and many very old versions were still being circulated. I remember, in particular, The Origin of the Universe by Sir James Jeans. I also remember getting special permission to read Das Kapital when I was in 6th grade, so I was 10 or 11. I read On the Origin of Species at about the same time. The point is that those books were old even when the library was built, and the spelling in them would not have changed in later editions.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:35 AM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwt1213 View Post
This reminds me of my youth, when I often saw "today" spelled "to-day", and "tomorrow" spelled "to-morrow". Personally, I would not accept "reexpel" and would demand a dash, but I guess everyone by now knows that I'm an old fuddy-duddy.
The thing I'm annoyed with is consistency. If they're going to accept REEXPEL they should also accept REEXPULSION. If they're not going to accept REEXPULSION, then they should also not accept REEXPEL.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:22 PM

ATasu08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwt1213 View Post
I think it's spelled fuddyduddy now.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:32 AM
Premium Member

quyxyz has received several accolades

reup apparently still takes a hyphen: re-up.