Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 05-14-2018, 12:39 PM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It had to come. And so it has.

If a country is going to make it mandatory that you speak their language, you have to know that someone is going to find or make a way for you to cheat. There are fake diplomas, fake papers for anything you want. You can buy driver's licenses that look real and get them by the bucketload from China and other places. Passports? No problem. Social security cards sold for a few dollars. Everything is fake. And at school? Send someone else to take your exam for you. If they're going to check at the final exam, make sure that sub went to all your classes for you, too. Or at least enough of the classes. And then a fake ID will see your grade be whatever you want. If all else fails, hack into the grade system and give yourself whatever grades you need. And if you can't do that, someone else can for enough money. All fake, all fraudulent, all worthless, and if you're ever caught act offended -- it's what EVERYONE does. P.J. O'Rourke was wrong to call his book "A Parliament of Whores". It should be called "A Parliament of Liars". If anyone dares to say it was always like this, the answer is no, it was NOT. I'm old enough to know how it once was. Some of you are, too.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:11 PM
Retired mailman

bigbells is on the road to greatness

I don't know that it used to be different, but I'm only 66.

The particulars change, but the theme doesn't change. As technology increases, the world gets smaller. Crooks using the latest technology to commit foul acts is a constant, regardless of century.

My grandpa made big money. Unfortunately it was about a quarter inch too big, and the revenuers caught him. Not a true story, to the best of my knowledge, but one of my favorite laugh lines.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:34 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm 71. What's different is the sheer sophistication of the scams now, the high quality of the forgery, and the ready availability of it all. 50 or 60 years ago, some of this (hacking the grade system, for one) was just not possible. The rest (fake driver's licenses and social security cards) was just not of this quality unless you had a hell of a lot of money.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:10 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

I'm 64, so I guess I'm just the kid here. Anyway, as I get older, I'm really trying to avoid some kind of "the world is going to hell in a handbasket" mentality. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. As the world becomes more technologically advanced & connected, the lying & cheating does become easier, but so does detecting it. I'm not convinced that we're overrun with more frauds than in the past. (Then again, due to the same technological advancement & connectivity, our frauds may have a bigger effect than those of earlier generations.)

Anyway, I'm just rambling & trying to sort out the hell-in-a-handbasket thing.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 05-15-2018 at 09:20 AM.