Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 03-25-2018, 07:11 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
I like your mum already, flops.
And I think all music teachers are slightly deranged. My violin teacher made me practise a Bach fugue while kneeling and leaning back slightly, because she said that I didn't have the right kind of tension and I should feel like a taut bowstring. I felt more like that Ikea chair, POÄNG (probably not an accepted WordTwist word though), except I've never heard a chair play Bach.
Yikes, I'm glad I never had music teachers like yours and flops'. Mine seemed quite normal and some were even likable.
After seeing people on YouTube playing axe, shotgun, cigar box and shovel guitars, the possibility of playing Bach on a poang may not be so far fetched. But, of course, as you pointed out the chair would not actually be playing the music.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:58 AM

flops has received several accolades

Sigh...when you find out that you got the concept of "musical chairs" so very wrong...
Old 03-25-2018, 08:08 AM

Lol flops!

I've seen an intriguing username pop up once in a while: alotofcentrewings.
I've watched umpteen nature shows about birds and bats over the years and have never even seen ONE centrewing! Is this person a diabolical geneticist/bioengineer creating aberrant lifeforms? Has he seen a centrewing??? Or a lot of them??? So many questions in my mind. Should I report this to admin, the FBI or CIA???
(I know in hockey there are right and left wings but NO centrewings! Sends a chill down my spine. What is he up to???)
Old 03-25-2018, 02:39 PM

RussDNails is an unknown quantity at this point

There's quite a few fun user names on this site, a few of which made me chuckle a bit the first time I saw them. A few that stand out are "igor the crazy man", "up yours", "bananakarennina", and "balls" . My vote for the coolest name/avatar combination goes to "RazorFlame". I'm not even sure what his/her avatar is but it looks good.......

Cheers.........
Old 03-25-2018, 06:02 PM

I've never seen balls, but bananakarennina is right up there. I've never seen igor either...RazorFlame is pretty cool, but alotofcentrewings, I normally read as all of the centre of things (bit like mine and kates version of fast debbie, but waaaay less understandable), but then, maybe before we dob on him/her, we should give Mr/Ms Trewings the right of reply.

Are all the children packed away in bed, coz it's past wine o'clock!
Cheers!
Old 03-26-2018, 05:29 AM

juniness is an unknown quantity at this point

@lalatan, when I see your user name I always hear suān lā tāng in my head in the same sing-song tones of the spoken Chinese. It means 'hot and sour soup' in Mandarin. Yours would be closer to hot HOT soup.

Juniness is just a nonsense word, stemming from Junie/Junee, a username I sometimes chose because it was typically available. And ness for the beloved suffix. You might find me on other word games with this username, too. In real life, it's Cynthia.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniness View Post
@lalatan, when I see your user name I always hear suān lā tāng in my head in the same sing-song tones of the spoken Chinese. It means 'hot and sour soup' in Mandarin. Yours would be closer to hot HOT soup.
That's interesting, Cynthia. I do enjoy spicy foods (curries, Mexican, Thai, Mongolian, Vietnamese) and even hot soups.
(I'm unsure whether you meant my username sounds closer to hot HOT soup or if you meant I'm a good Boggle player. If it's the latter, thanks for the compliment.)

Last edited by lalatan : 03-26-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:38 AM

juniness is an unknown quantity at this point

酸辣汤 - Hot and Sour Soup

suān: sour
lā: hot/spicy
tāng: soup

The doubling of a word emphasizes it, as we might say something was so SO delicious. So... Lalatan reminds me of Lālātāng which could be thought of as hot HOT soup. (Not an expert, anyone should feel free to offer any correction if I'm wrong here.)

But in English it means 'excellent Boggle player'.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the further explanation and compliment.
I didn't know that about the means of emphasis in Mandarin for sure. I've always been interested in other languages and know a smattering of many of them. I learned some Cantonese from a lady who ran a Chinese restaurant but only phonetically. I know grammar and how to write a lot of words in French and Spanish but the thought of learning Mandarin and how to write it (with its thousands of characters) has been too daunting for me. Good for you, Cynthia, for taking it on!
Old 04-01-2018, 04:08 PM

I love it! Thanks, juniness, for joining the party! I know that if any of my lil buddies at work are "acting in a manner other than our classrooms norms", I say, "poo cow sin" (and that is very very fo net ick ali) then tend to "pull their heads in" (I'm not sure if that is an Australian colloguialism, or International)?

I have a friend named Ping, some days she is peaceful flowing river, some days she is a duck.