Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 04-04-2018, 11:45 AM

RussDNails is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, we just play for fun and it's a good family activity. The scoring is so different that it's hard to compare to Wordtwist..........I would guess that my highest 6 x 6 scores on the traditional Boggle board would translate to scores in the 1500-1800 range on Wordtwist, give that the Wordtwist 6 x 6 would allow for 4 minutes of typing. I'm not a very good typist but the extra minute and larger word counts would allow for much bigger scores. I would guess that the really good typists like fasteddieb could push 2500-3000 points. I'm hoping to one day approach his and MegaWord's level but don't know if my inadequate typing will allow for this. Plus I like to play a lot of games and to keep my average higher I would have to play fewer of the lower word count boards. Maybe if I learn enough rare words I'll close the gap on fasteddieb!

Cheers,

Russ
Old 04-04-2018, 01:06 PM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
I've been curious for some time now Spike and this might be the right context.
How do you do in your regular games (6 pts minimum word score) with your cousin? I surmise she must be a match for your prowess or she'd have quit some time ago. (Or I could be wrong.)
At standard Boggle (more or less), we're fairly evenly matched. (I like to think I have somewhat of an advantage, but not enough to discourage her.) We play computer 5x5 Boggle, and like you noted, with 6 letter minimum words. We also play 4 minute games. Scoring doesn't pay any attention to rare words, and the points/word maxes out at 11 points (for 8 or longer letter words.) She does play some WordTwist, but more for standard Boggle goals. (She does report finding some decent long words, but she has better things to do with her life & doesn't play near the number of games that I do.) Like I said, what I do in WordTwist kind of works against me there. I don't even look for the shorter words that I'd jump at in Boggle.

The few times we've tried playing with other family members, we've swamped them, so they won't play with us any more. I wouldn't say that either of us are experts (and we seem to be getting worse over time), but we're close enough that we still enjoy it. (In Boggle, you you only get points for words that other players don't get. We've both broken 100, but not for a while,)

Last edited by Spike1007 : 04-04-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:07 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

That's cool you can have a regular game with a willing and skilled sparring partner.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:17 PM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was patting myself on the back for getting no fewer than four 20-point words (and one 18 pointer) in a single grid. And then I displayed the game, and right there in front of me was "incomparablenesses". I saw it immediately. I don't know how many points it would have been, but none of my words used a high-point letter and none were more than 11 letters long. This is 18, if I counted correctly. I'll bet that wouldn't have happened to Spike, or Lalatan, or CrazyKate, or any of you other long-word wizards.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:37 PM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

You only see the words we get, not the ones we don't. I don't want to speak for kate & lalatan, but I do a decent job at missing words, even when I know something good is there.

By the way, finding 5 18+ point words in a board is pretty damn good, even if you missed a really good one.. Next time...

Last edited by Spike1007 : 05-07-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:39 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
You only see the words we get, not the ones we don't. I don't want to speak for kate & lalatan, but I do a decent job at missing words, even when I know something good is there.

By he way, finding 5 18+ point words in a board is pretty damn good, even if you missed a really good one.. Next time...
Same here. Good job, bwt! And if the board pops up again, you'll be ready for it.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:29 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

All 3 of us have missed good words on a board and then have seen it after the game submitted (as stated in this thread), just as happened to you this time. I used to get upset about it but have mellowed out considerably. I figure there will always be lots of other words to get and I may get to play the same board again. (I've been averaging 645 best/longest word records/month for a year now (and I skipped most of February) so getting more isn't a problem.)

I play boards every day where the stats suggest there may be high-scoring words and then I see nothing of any value to play for 3 minutes. Occasionally, I'll get the same board and will then see the good word. But if I know I've played the board before, I abandon the game after a minute if I still don't see anything.

Last edited by lalatan : 05-07-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:47 PM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

Welp, INTRODUCTORINESS is still up for grabs on the board I just played.