Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 05-16-2018, 08:17 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
It is more fun when I don't pay too much attention to how I'm doing. Today, after that email exchange, I tried to see if I was anywhere near accurate in terms of what I said. I've set about 20 records (with 10 words), could have gotten about 8 more (but they weren't worth enough to keep), and matched 3 existing words that were worth enough to increase my average. (I kicked myself this morning for missing HYPERCHOLESTEROLEMIA, which was yours I think.) Anyway, I found myself trying too hard to find words that weren't there. These days, I'll play any board with at least 2 9+ letter ultra-rare words, and I do end up dumping a lot of games where I don't find anything worth keeping (and that has to be at least 26 points).
I'd say 28 records set half way through the day is a great score! Congrats!

My playing parameters are still shifting. I don't keep 12 pt records anymore unless they're really long words. I may not keep 14-16 pt records either unless I'm pretty sure that's the best word on the board. I mostly skip boards where there are only 1 or 2 9+ ltr words.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:58 AM

Something new for this thread: I started collecting 5x5 best/longest word records May 8, 2017. At the end of May 7 this year, I had set and retained 7,766 of them. What will this year bring??

Since retiring from playing 4x4 (except for trophy competitions) I've lost 515 best word records from a high of 3,065 (16.8% of them). Quite a rate of attrition.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:24 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Something new for this thread: I started collecting 5x5 best/longest word records May 8, 2017. At the end of May 7 this year, I had set and retained 7,766 of them. What will this year bring??

Since retiring from playing 4x4 (except for trophy competitions) I've lost 515 best word records from a high of 3,065 (16.8% of them). Quite a rate of attrition.
I started as 007 a few months later (in August), and, as of today, I'm quite a bit less than half of what you have. (3124 records.) Maybe after a full year, I'll get up to half if I'm lucky.

Obviously you'd like to find the longest/best words, but when you concentrate on setting records, it doesn't always make sense to search much more once you've set one (or two, as the case may be). Keeping about 5/6 of them isn't bad.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:50 AM

I and pretty well everyone else who plays this game would say you're doing very well, Spike!

True, retaining 5/6 of records is pretty good. I'm not too concerned about it. The bleeding was most severe after I quit and at the time I was quite alarmed by it. But I wanted to play 5x5 and let it be.

As far as my yearly 5x5 total is concerned, I'm very pleased. I could've gotten more but have finally learned in the last few months to quit being so obsessed with it. It's more enjoyable that way when I do play.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:45 AM

Thanks! I could do better if I accepted all records I find, but I'd guess I'd still be quite a ways behind you.

You're right. Less obsession is better, especially if it increases your enjoyment. (By the way, I did tear myself away long enough a couple of days ago to mow my front lawn, and yesterday I dismantled my stove. Today, I'm smoking a beef roast (although the rain probably isn't helping). Maybe I'll get some real work done tomorrow.)
Old 05-18-2018, 01:01 PM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thanks! I could do better if I accepted all records I find, but I'd guess I'd still be quite a ways behind you.

You're right. Less obsession is better, especially if it increases your enjoyment. (By the way, I did tear myself away long enough a couple of days ago to mow my front lawn, and yesterday I dismantled my stove. Today, I'm smoking a beef roast (although the rain probably isn't helping). Maybe I'll get some real work done tomorrow.)
The hardest part about smoking a beef roast is keeping it lit. Smoked fish are nearly as difficult, though they are easier to hold.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwt1213 View Post
The hardest part about smoking a beef roast is keeping it lit. Smoked fish are nearly as difficult, though they are easier to hold.
I use a lot of lighter fluid. although that does make it taste a little weird & makes me cough.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:48 PM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Speaking of crazy, surprising runs, my wife came across a game on Facebook called Song Pop. A small clip from a song is played, and you have to guess either the title of the song or the name of the artist (or group) performing it. We play it together quite a bit; you can choose the category you like and challenge someone with it, and they can then do the same to you. Categories are things like Hit Albums of (some year, like 1968 or 1973 or 1988, or whatever), Best of (artist or group), One Hit Wonders of the 60s, you name it. Okay, so I listened to a lot of music back in the late 50s and up through the 70s and part of the 80s. I didn't think there were many songs I hadn't heard, but that was proved wrong in a hurry -- I didn't buy albums, and lots of albums even by famous groups or artists have songs on them that almost no one has ever heard (nor even wants to). So, here's the deal: there are apparently famous artists and groups I never heard of. Ever. And famous songs I never heard. Some of that can be explained -- they were hits in Europe but never got much play in the USA, or chart toppers in Australia or Italy or Germany. But then there are groups like The Velvet Underground. I understand they are from New York. I looked them up on line and they're supposed to have had some hits and a big following. I never in my whole life ever heard of them, nor any song they ever did, and when I hear the songs they did I don't understand why anyone even thought they were worth recording. And then there are groups like Love, and Pentangle -- not bad, but I never heard of them. Have I slipped through the cracks and wound up in an alternate universe?
Old 05-18-2018, 04:34 PM

I listened to a LOT of music, starting in the 60s & tapering off in the 90s. (I did buy lots of albums.) That sounds like fun, although it would probably drive me crazy. (I'm not on facebook, so I'll probably never try it.) Even with the popular stuff at the time, I "know" it, but I have trouble remembering the title & artist. While I've heard of The Velvet Underground & Pentangle (British Folk, if I'm not wrong), I can't think of any songs they ever did. There was so much stuff back then, and like you said, a lot of it may have been more popular in Europe. (Have you ever heard of Buck's Fizz? I really like In London Town, but I've never heard it here.)

Anyway, somewhere along the line, I realized that I didn't recognize half the bands on the top 10. That made me feel old. It's gotten worse since then. These days, I only recognize the ones that have something to do with the Kardashians or something. (Not by their music, just from the entertainment "news" stuff I see.)
Old 05-19-2018, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Way to get after it Spike! No more procrastinarianism for you. (I played PROCRASTINATIONS this week and thought of you and your family celebrating Christmas late.)
Wow, I've never heard of smoking a beef roast. My US born wife says it's common in the south. Sounds tasty.