Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 01-29-2018, 02:55 PM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

All right, try "Twisted Tunes" by Bob Rivers. It's a song parody site. People who listen to the stuff either really love it or really hate it, but most people are in the first group. It's stuff that might have been on the Doctor Demento show back in the 70s and 80s. Some of the material is REALLY well done and sounds even better than the original song did. The material was played on the radio, so it doesn't get too raunchy. At least I don't remember that it did.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:36 PM

flops has received several accolades

I shared the "Consulting" one with a friend who is a consultant, and the "Cluelessness" one with a friend who runs an IT Help Desk, they thought they were hilarious. I don't think they are that mean, just a bit of a reality check. They play well to the Australian sense of humour. Red heads are normally nicknamed "Blue" here, Tall people either "Lurch", or "Shorty".

On the "I believe that children are the future", I always think that means that we are the present, which is pretty important!
Old 01-30-2018, 07:33 AM
Keeps Trying

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwt1213 View Post
All right, try "Twisted Tunes" by Bob Rivers. It's a song parody site. People who listen to the stuff either really love it or really hate it, but most people are in the first group. It's stuff that might have been on the Doctor Demento show back in the 70s and 80s. Some of the material is REALLY well done and sounds even better than the original song did. The material was played on the radio, so it doesn't get too raunchy. At least I don't remember that it did.
Just listened to "King Trump." Bob Rivers is brilliant!
Old 01-30-2018, 10:43 AM

I checked the site again. If you play a song, scroll down a little and you will see "related" and some more songs. Play any of those, and you will see even more. He used to have an alphabetized list of parodies, but I can't find that any more. He has probably 500 or more parodies of everything from Nat King Cole to Rap. It may take you a while to run into one of my favorites -- or one of yours. I liked "Chipmunks Roasting On An Open Fire" -- a parody of Nat King Cole's "Christmas Song". It even sounds like the original. One I used to play for my students was "Carol Of The Bartenders", a parody of "Carol of the Bells", I think. The chorus was "Don't drink and drive". I played that at the end of class right before the winter break, hoping that it would be remembered even if the math wasn't.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:15 PM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
I'm going to let this thread go dormant. Why it has had close to 22k views is a mystery to me, unless the view stats are total BS.
So... incredibly (to me at least) the view stats of this thread are up to 37.6k now despite no new posts since Jan. 30. Apparently there is something here that people want to read and not comment on. So I thought I might as well give the vast silent majority something new to see once in a while.

I started checking my daily stats again a month ago. I think my word-finding skills and vocabulary have improved since I last posted here. Last week I bettered my personal best of 60 with 71 best/longest word records set in 1 day. I was surprised because I didn't play all day. (I usually start late morning or early afternoon, take all evening off and then play a late night session of 1-1.5 hrs. Other days I don't play much in the afternoon either.) That day I also spent some time playing as thinkbig.

I think my next experiment will be to play most of the day when the time is right and see what total I can come up with. I'll let you know the results.

Last edited by lalatan : 05-15-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:28 PM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Your records/day are amazing. I'm get maybe 20-30 on a good day. That's only the ones I keep though. so maybe I could add 10 or more for the ones I throw away.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
Your records/day are amazing. I'm get maybe 20-30 on a good day. That's only the ones I keep though. so maybe I could add 10 or more for the ones I throw away.
I'll second that. When I played for longest/highest point word, I would maybe get 10 on a good day. I would find the same word as the record holder maybe ten or fifteen times more. So Spike is probably about twice as good as I was (and probably still am, since I hope I haven't gone backwards). On an AVERAGE day, I would find the highest point word once or twice, and about half the time it just matched someone else. And for every game I kept, I probably threw ten away.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:21 PM

bwt, depending on how you count, maybe we're close on our good days. I'm counting one "best" word (beating both length & points) as two records. (And we may also be close on the keep/throw ratios, although I don't really keep track.)

Last edited by Spike1007 : 05-15-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:33 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Thanks Spike and bwt. That day I set and retained 71 records was an exceptional one for me. It was 1 of those golden days where you see just about all of the best and longest words within the first 30 seconds 1 game after another all day long.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I started doing other things throughout day the last few months besides playing Boggle. I play about half the games/month I used to.

Spike, I was tempted more than once to track how many games I started and threw away vs. how many I successfully set records. But I know myself well enough that the game would become more about performance than fun so like you I don't keep track.

I've noticed that sometimes I remember the layout of a board as soon as it loads. For example, I noticed -isms on the right side of a board right away and without even thinking about it my eyes moved upward to the top right corner and looked for nonre-. When I saw it I knew the best/longest word was NONREPRESENTATIONALISMS. That all happened in 10 seconds or so. Pretty weird considering that, like you, half the time I forget what the previous record values were once I start playing the game. It happened again just this morning. I saw -im in the lower right area oriented a particular way and thought it's probably your record of IMPERTURBABLENESSES (although I did know it was your record and worth 36 pts from the board stats). It was. Does that happen to you?

Last edited by lalatan : 05-16-2018 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:34 AM

I'm still wasting more time here than I should. I should be working, or mowing my lawn, or dismantling a stove, or something...

It is more fun when I don't pay too much attention to how I'm doing. Today, after that email exchange, I tried to see if I was anywhere near accurate in terms of what I said. I've set about 20 records (with 10 words), could have gotten about 8 more (but they weren't worth enough to keep), and matched 3 existing words that were worth enough to increase my average. (I kicked myself this morning for missing HYPERCHOLESTEROLEMIA, which was yours I think.) Anyway, I found myself trying too hard to find words that weren't there. These days, I'll play any board with at least 2 9+ letter ultra-rare words, and I do end up dumping a lot of games where I don't find anything worth keeping (and that has to be at least 26 points). Like you, I'll stop early after 30 seconds to a minute if it doesn't look at all promising. I'm not sure if the keep/dump ratio says much. That can vary a lot.

I write down some stats for most of the boards I play since I so easily forget the old best points & word length. (For me, that matters since I have a different threshold for accepting new or existing words.) I think I used to have a good memory. (In spite of that, I do sometimes remember board layouts from the past, although probably not the distant past. The recognition doesn't always kick in immediately though.)

I'll also sometimes pretty quickly "see" a great word. In spite of what I once told mcdonna (if it looks like it's there, it's probably there), I don't always type them. It's sad how often I've talked myself out of a good word that popped into my head because I couldn't find the right path. (Then again, there are times when I've typed it anyway, been surprised that it worked, and spent the rest of the time trying to find out why.)

Anyway, keep up the records!

Last edited by Spike1007 : 05-16-2018 at 07:47 AM.