Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 04-25-2018, 07:41 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

I had found HYPNOLOGY on a board and was looking for something more exotic to increase the point value. I found it with NEUROHYPNOLOGY, which is an obsolete word for hypnotism.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:12 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Great word! I haven't found anything too exciting lately (although I did guess at IRREFRAGABILITIES & that worked). I did see CHECKERBERRIES (which you referred to before in a post) twice in the last few days, but it wasn't worth enough to keep (even though it would have set a couple of board records).
Old 04-25-2018, 10:30 AM

That was an impressive find! Reminded me of the time I pieced together REFRANGIBLENESSES, which much to my surprise was valid.

Haha, good memory retrieval to recognize CHECKERBERRIES. It likely wouldn't dawn on me since I forgot about it.

I think I just got robbed on a board that had 50 plays on it! I found FERALIZATIONS, which would have been 2 new records. But it got turned down, even though it was in a few dictionaries (not lexic.us however).

Last edited by lalatan : 04-25-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:39 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
That was an impressive find! Reminded me of the time I pieced together REFRANGIBLENESSES, which much to my surprised was valid.

Haha, good memory retrieval to recognize CHECKERBERRIES. It likely wouldn't dawn on me since I forgot about it.

I think I just got robbed on a board that had 50 plays on it! I found FERALIZATIONS, which would have been 2 new records. But it got turned down, even though it was in a few dictionaries (not lexic.us however).
I remembered CHECKERBERRIES & thought that was you, but I had to do a forum search to be sure.

FERALIZATIONS sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Aside from the fact that it's too short, I'd suspect it of being on the 15/16 letter singular/plural boundary.

By the way, I did want the extra N in IRREFRAGABILITIES, but it wasn't there. At least, I didn't see it. (That's part of the reason I was surprised that it worked.) Anyway, the next time you get into an argument with someone, tell them that what you're saying is irrefragable & see what happens.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 04-25-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:03 AM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
I did know actually. It says on the wikipedia site that they got their name from the Hawaiian word "wiki" meaning quick (obviously coupled with encyclopedia). I remember reading that a while ago and knew it wasn't just an anagram or something.

Also, since learning that the NZ based special effects company Weta is named after a type of bug, I frequently play WETA and WETAS.
I knew that about "wiki" as well, but loanwords are often hit-and-miss. Other loanwords I've been surprised to get points for include ZOCALO and SAIMIN. On the other hand, I've been shocked not to score points for things like NATTO.

I have noticed that loanwords from Indian languages seem to be consistently accepted, including surprising ones that get almost no use in English -- I've scored points for the Indian military ranks SUBEDAR, NAIK, and SOWAR.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:31 AM

POMOLOGICAL. I guessed it might be a word having something to do with fruit, but didn't expect it to actually score points.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:14 PM

THUSNESS.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:04 PM

RESURRECTIONISES. I didn't expect to get points for adding the suffix to RESURRECTION (which was the previous record word on that board).
Old 05-02-2018, 05:04 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPlacebo View Post
RESURRECTIONISES. I didn't expect to get points for adding the suffix to RESURRECTION (which was the previous record word on that board).
I wouldn't even have tried that! Impressive!
Old 05-02-2018, 08:02 AM

Lol, did I ever fluke out just now! While playing a board with not many vowels I was looking for something to pair with -ographers. I eventually saw dactyl, which reminded me of ectrodactyly (lobster claw syndrome) and pterodactyl. So I tried DACTYLOGRAPHER and it worked! 26 pts/14 ltrs and 2 records.
Dactylography
1. Noun. the science of using fingerprints to uniquely identify someone