Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 04-21-2018, 03:23 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

I guess the thread topic says it all. I couldn't see anything reasonable, so I typed in SCRIBACIOUSNESS and it worked. (SCRIBACIOUS means prone to excessive writing, which makes some sense in hindsight.)
Old 04-21-2018, 07:07 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

That was a good find, Spike!
Yesterday I cobbled together PHLEBOGRAPHIES. I knew phlebitis is inflammation of a vein. So there wasn't much else to pair with -ographies so I tried it and it worked. (Phlebography: an X-ray examination of a system of veins that have been injected with a contrast medium)
Also stitched together IMMUNOCYTOCHEMICAL this week.

Last edited by lalatan : 04-21-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:17 AM

I'm not sure I would have thought about about PHLEBOGRAPHIES, although I could conceivably have gotten IMMUNOCYTOCHEMICAL. I don't remember seeing either one though. Good finds!
Old 04-21-2018, 11:28 AM

Thanks Spike. btw, I beat Evelyn64's records 3 times this week. All of her previous records were <20 pts. I think if the best word record is 26+ pts it's pretty well unbeatable in my experience. (which is possibly why you chose it as your threshold value. ) The only hope of bettering it would be if the previous record holder missed a prefix or suffix they could have added. I bettered someone's 38 pt record this week by adding in- to their word for 42 pts. As you said, nobody's invincible.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:58 AM

I even beat myself this week, where I had a 31 point word. The first time around, I missed the OVER in OVERINTELLECTUALIZATION, and this time managed 45 points. You're right though that it's hard to beat an existing 26+ point word. Doable, but kind of rare. I keep trying though.

Congrats on beating Evelyn64 3 times. I do manage very occasionally.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 04-21-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:47 PM

Congrats on upping your record to the max! 2 games after I read your post, I played a board where I was the record holder of 16/9. The stats seemed to indicate more was available so I tried it and found IMMUNOREACTIONS (28/15) in the first 20 seconds. Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 05-05-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
I just played a board that had only been played once, with the longest previous word 8 letters. I saw BALDNESSES, but thought it wouldn't be worth much. Instead, I played around & guessed GLABROUSNESSES. It worked, for 26 points. I looked it up afterwards, and strangely enough, glabrous means bald.
Spike, I was just visited by the ghost of Boggle boards past. I saw GLABROUSNESSES in the first minute and then also noticed BALDNESSES this time.
Also I played REFRANGIBLENESSES again this week. Just strolling down memory lane....

(PS your post was from Sept. 30 last year)
Old 05-05-2018, 06:36 AM

lalatan, I remember GLABROUSNESSES, but I don't think I've seen it since. Good find!

One word I found recently was PERNICKETINESSES. I always thought the root was PERSNICKETY, but, lacking a convenient S, I went for an alternate spelling. It turns out that they are different words, Not only that, but what I thought of as PERSNICKETY (more or less overly fussy) was wrong, and that's the definition of PERNICKETY. Live (or play) & learn...
Old 05-05-2018, 07:32 AM

twice4 is an unknown quantity at this point

What an honor to find a thread with two of WordTwist's most distinguished disentanglers, whose shadows I routinely fail to escape. How heartening it is to know that even the best admit to guessing from time to time. My "guessword" was TELICALLY. Hardly a point-buster, it was tops for a time. It taught me a new word, meaning "writing with the ending in mind," which I now do. Adieu.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
One word I found recently was PERNICKETINESSES. I always thought the root was PERSNICKETY, but, lacking a convenient S, I went for an alternate spelling. It turns out that they are different words, Not only that, but what I thought of as PERSNICKETY (more or less overly fussy) was wrong, and that's the definition of PERNICKETY. Live (or play) & learn...
Well, I'll be dogged... Haha, I thought exactly the same thing as you about PERSNICKETY. Ironically, I played that board and noticed -nicket- but discarded it because of the lack of an s. Nice find and thanks for the lesson.

Update: I just googled both words and the Google(?) dictionary definition that pops up for PERNICKETY is: British term for persnickety.
The definition for PERSNICKETY is the North American version.

Last edited by lalatan : 05-05-2018 at 08:05 AM.