Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 02-27-2018, 08:28 PM

JJBeanie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
I've read that the American spelling actually came first. (Of course, no telling how we'd pronounce it if we used the British spelling.) I can't defend the too-common American pronunciation of nuclear. Then again, I grew up treating the first R in February as silent, and I've never shaken that habit.
I believe the first naming was alumium in 1808, then aluminum and finally the British changed it to aluminium in 1812.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:27 PM

JJBeanie is an unknown quantity at this point

coincidence.JPG

A twilight zone moment or what?
Old 02-28-2018, 12:13 AM

justno is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justno View Post
Honestly, how the heck are you supposed to use that in a sentence! That being corpuscularity.
Now that I think about it, I'll give using "CORPUSCULARITY" a go.

The CORPUSCULARITY of these nanobots is amazing! They're practically undetectable by the human body yet still aid in important bodily functions!
Old 02-28-2018, 07:49 AM

flops has received several accolades

I shall adopt Spike (I've never owned a cat), and we might consider getting a permanent care order for justno, because I enjoyed that sentence so very much!

I have been doing this thing...work...but none of the sentences I could put it in are appropriate for either here, or my work place (4 yo kindergarten). As things settle, I will come back and play some more!
Old 02-28-2018, 08:06 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBeanie View Post
Attachment 89
A twilight zone moment or what?
I posted a while back that sometimes happens to me. Something I'm discussing shows up on a board not long after it was mentioned. In the post I asked if that happened to anyone else but got no response afterward for 2 days so I nuked it. I guess you are the first responder.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:50 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by flops View Post
I shall adopt Spike (I've never owned a cat), and we might consider getting a permanent care order for justno, because I enjoyed that sentence so very much!

I have been doing this thing...work...but none of the sentences I could put it in are appropriate for either here, or my work place (4 yo kindergarten). As things settle, I will come back and play some more!
I'll check with Spike to see what he thinks about relocating (and parrots). He does have a mother, but hasn't seen her in 15+ years, so maybe he's up for a change.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwt1213 View Post
I really like but will probably misspell "homeoskedacity". I can SAY it, and I can recognize it when I see it, and I even know what it means and I've used it in professional speech.
Given the forums now, you may never see this. Anyway, I just got HOMOSCEDASTICITY! I remembered enough to see that it was there, but it took almost the full three minutes to get the spelling right. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2018, 07:24 PM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

Let us go, then, you and I
When the evening is spread out against the sky
Like a patient ETHERISED upon a table.

(Eliot uses the American spelling, of course, but I haven't found that in this game yet.)
Old 03-23-2018, 12:23 PM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

I was playing a board today and had so far uncovered BIOGRAPHERS. There didn't seem to be much else to turn into a long word. Then I spotted psy- and tried PSYCHOBIOGRAPHERS. 30 pts and 2 records. I thought maybe it's an author who wants to harm someone and then write about their life. (There is a word for everything in English, it seems.)
Instead it's "an author who writes psychobiographies" (Not much help there)
Definition of Psychobiography
1. Noun. A biography that emphasizes the psychological aspects of its subject
Old 03-23-2018, 01:59 PM

Good find! I wouldn't swear that I haven't seen that before, but it seems like I'm finding new & rather weird words here lately. (I don't think I'm getting better or anything.) A few days ago I got ANTHROPOPSYCHICALLY. (The parts were there, so I tried it & was surprised when it worked.) I don't know exactly what it means. I can't even look it up on lexic.us or find it on google. A couple of others I found that I didn't think would work were RAMPAGEOUSNESS and FUTILITARIANS.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 03-23-2018 at 04:47 PM.