Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 02-20-2018, 08:30 PM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

On one board: MUCILAGINOUS, MUCILAGINOUSLY, and CALIGINOUS.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have known the last of those words [URL="http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/The_Caliginous_Abyss"]if I didn't play Kingdom of Loathing[/URL].

As for the first two, I love okra.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:44 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPlacebo View Post
On one board: MUCILAGINOUS, MUCILAGINOUSLY, and CALIGINOUS.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have known the last of those words [URL="http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/The_Caliginous_Abyss"]if I didn't play Kingdom of Loathing[/URL].

As for the first two, I love okra.
I not only dislike okra, I can't understand how anyone ever thought it was edible in the first place. I suppose our forebears were, often enough, hungry enough to eat nearly anything, but still -- okra? It's right up there with zucchini; the world's most perfectly tasteless vegetable. Okra is disgusting because it is mucilaginous, and zucchini is tasteless, but at least they're not as actively disgusting in nearly every way like cilantro. And, lest anyone conclude that I dislike vegetables, that's not so -- I like most of them. And there are meats that are really awful, too. Liver. Kidney (steak and kidney pie is an excellent way to make steak inedible). De gustibus, right?
Old 02-21-2018, 10:28 PM

flops has received several accolades

me< googling okra (dear friend google...what is okra?).
Old 02-21-2018, 10:33 PM

so people eat something that has a slimy texture, and is made mostly from insoluble fiber...okay...ummm....they must have been very, very, hungry...

related to hollyhock (gives animals and people dermatitis, cotton (not so tasty), and hibiscus (had that suspended in champagne, but then champagne makes everything good after a few flutes)..
Old 02-21-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwt1213 View Post
I not only dislike okra, I can't understand how anyone ever thought it was edible in the first place. I suppose our forebears were, often enough, hungry enough to eat nearly anything, but still -- okra? It's right up there with zucchini; the world's most perfectly tasteless vegetable. Okra is disgusting because it is mucilaginous, and zucchini is tasteless, but at least they're not as actively disgusting in nearly every way like cilantro. And, lest anyone conclude that I dislike vegetables, that's not so -- I like most of them. And there are meats that are really awful, too. Liver. Kidney (steak and kidney pie is an excellent way to make steak inedible). De gustibus, right?
You just listed a whole bunch of my favorite foods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flops View Post
so people eat something that has a slimy texture, and is made mostly from insoluble fiber...okay...ummm....they must have been very, very, hungry...

related to hollyhock (gives animals and people dermatitis, cotton (not so tasty), and hibiscus (had that suspended in champagne, but then champagne makes everything good after a few flutes)..
Or they found the mucilage useful as a thickener. Most edible mucilaginous plants are used that way in one cuisine or another.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:57 PM
Premium Member

Brisul is on the road to greatness

Even though the game in which I found the word shaved ten points off of my average this month, I have to say my favorite word is "restitutions". A 12 letter word has been my white whale for a decade now. Not only did I find the word, but I actually know what it means and can use it in an every day sentence.

Last edited by Brisul : 02-24-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:57 AM

A short one I've been trying to find for a long time: KHOR.

It's an Arabic loanword for a tidal creek. Dubai, the city where I grew up, is built around the [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai_Creek"]Khor Dubai[/URL].
Old 02-26-2018, 11:45 AM

justno is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of my personal favourites are CHARIOTEERING and POTIN. POTIN sounds like "Putin". I also like NEIGHBOURING because I got a longest word for a Canadian spelling. CHARIOTEERING was a longest word I found before being signed up.

P.S. Sorry for the absotutely pathetic sentence structure.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:23 PM

sentence structure, schmentence structure....still chuckling that you consider something to have "Canandian" spelling. It's proper English spelling, and their are many words that can be either spelled/spelt in either English or "American" (and apparently pronounced in either..for example aluminium, or nuclear). In many cases, with spelling, "u's" are frowned upon and deleted as being redundant, but strangely our American buddies often add one when pronouncing "nuclear".
Old 02-27-2018, 03:04 AM

JJBeanie is an unknown quantity at this point

To be fair, Flops, North Americans spell and pronounce the chemical element AI as ALUMINUM not as ALUMINIUM and are thus not mispronouncing it by British English standards.