Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 01-29-2018, 09:38 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
I've been keeping track the last few days, and my record isn't that great. I'd guess that we're close. (It looks like I'm generally better than 70%, but I'm lucky to go over 80%.) Keeping track increases my anxiety though, making me panic as time runs out. I think I'll stop.
Yesterday I played 17 games as they came to me where the best word record was 30+ pts. I found 14 of them for a rate of 82%. I missed 1 of yours: CARNIVOROUSNESSES. snsmithaz had the record for ABSTEMIOUSNESSES. Never heard or seen the word before. (It means limited to bare necessities.) So pretty close to your and mcdonna's results.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:23 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

I have good days & bad days, days with harder words & easier words, and so far we're all looking at a fairly limited set on which to base statistics. While I'm still somewhat appalled at how hard it is to find some of my own long words, I get the feeling that a lot of us are pretty much equally good at finding them. For that subgroup, who comes out on top (trophy-wise) boils down to how selective we are (while still managing to get a respectable number of words), and some luck, of course.

lalatan, speaking of luck, I ran across a board of yours today where you had REPRESENTATIONALISMS. I managed to add a NON- to the beginning of that, and also using the singular, I got two 42 point words. That was a new longest word for me for the month. (Starting out, I was just hoping to find your 20 letter, 38 point word so I could count it in my statistics, although I wouldn't have accepted it by my rules. I didn't really have much hope.)

Last edited by Spike1007 : 01-29-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
lalatan, speaking of luck, I ran across a board of yours today where you had REPRESENTATIONALISMS. I managed to add a NON- to the beginning of that, and also using the singular, I got two 42 point words. That was a new longest word for me for the month. (Starting out, I was just hoping to find your 20 letter, 38 point word so I could count it in my statistics, although I wouldn't have accepted it by my rules. I didn't really have much hope.)
Good for you Spike! Yup, I saw that after the game submitted. Incredibly (to me anyway), I STILL miss the occasional prefix or suffix, even when I had the time to find it. But that's just part of life in the WordTwist world. Earlier this month, I found FERTILIZATIONS and didn't think of adding over- to it for OVERFERTILIZATIONS (37 pts). I got the game again today and saw it in the first 5 seconds. But it had already been scooped up by railroader. Feels like I got railroaded in some ways.

Last edited by lalatan : 01-30-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:14 AM

I just played GREENISHNESSES for 26 pts and 2 records. Made me laugh to see it. Pwhaaaahaaa
Love those -nesses words!

Last edited by lalatan : 01-30-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:07 AM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

CREPITUS. This might not even be the first time I've found it.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:26 AM

ibme54 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good find DrP! You come up some crazy ones. This 1 sounds a little gruesome but is part of life occasionally.

Spike: I played a board where you had the best word record for 29 pts. I first found HANDCRAFTSMAN but that wasn't it. Then I found it with HANDCRAFTSMANSHIP. That was a cool find you made. Never seen that 1 played before.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:41 PM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibme54 View Post
Spike: I played a board where you had the best word record for 29 pts. I first found HANDCRAFTSMAN but that wasn't it. Then I found it with HANDCRAFTSMANSHIP. That was a cool find you made. Never seen that 1 played before.
-SHIP is one thing that I kind of look for (if I spot it anyway). It's not one of those things where I always find something to go with it, but I think I started there, and kind of built backwards. It's worth looking for. (Not quite as good as -HEADEDNESS, HANDEDNESS, etc., but it helps.)
Old 02-05-2018, 11:20 PM

Another short one I like: AUTEUR. I've actually been hoping to find it for quite a while now. (I've also found POSEUR a few times.) Just being a pretentious hipster or something.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:01 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

I just played two 4x4 boards that had been played over 40 times each, and each time I found one of my favourite words, which were the only ones to show up in green. AGLET for one, PARTITA for the other. Although they didn't rake in any records, I was glad to be the first to find them on these boards.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:07 PM

Another relatively short one: DECLASSE.