Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-19-2018, 02:48 PM
lalatan lalatan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 638
lalatan is on the road to greatness
Default

Haha, it is a small world... after all. Too bad you're feeling heat oppressed like that. Yup, north is the way to go!
We considered moving to Klamath Falls or Grant's Pass but didn't want to inhale wood-burning smoke all winter. We finally settled on going to Ashland but Then Obamacare hit us square between the eyes. $1k/month for the cheapest coverage in Cali and $5k deductible for each person. (found out later from people still there that doctors wouldn't even take them with that coverage) It was time to move back to Canada where it costs $75/month and no deductible.

Last edited by lalatan : 01-19-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-19-2018, 04:24 PM
DrPlacebo DrPlacebo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 380
DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonna View Post
Small world! I grew up in Oregon but went to the Bay Area for school/high tech and then moved to Coloma after I discovered whitewater kayaking. (Coloma is about 45 minutes due east of Sacramento and less than 20 miles south of Colfax as the crow flies.) The main reason I moved back to Oregon was the hot summers. When it's over 85 degrees, I melt unless I'm on the river.

The scary part is that we've been setting summer heat records in western Oregon the past few summers. I finally broke down and bought a window air conditioner. Used to be that almost no one in the Willamette Valley had air conditioning (or felt they needed it). So I may need to head farther north!
When I was an undergrad, I heated my apartment to 80F in the winter and only cooled it to 85F in the summer! I also thought it was too cold to go running when the temperature dropped below 65F.

I still won't consider moving to the Bay Area because it's too cold there.

Last edited by DrPlacebo : 01-19-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-19-2018, 04:35 PM
DrPlacebo DrPlacebo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 380
DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Haha, it is a small world... after all. Too bad you're feeling heat oppressed like that. Yup, north is the way to go!
We considered moving to Klamath Falls or Grant's Pass but didn't want to inhale wood-burning smoke all winter. We finally settled on going to Ashland but Then Obamacare hit us square between the eyes. $1k/month for the cheapest coverage in Cali and $5k deductible for each person. (found out later from people still there that doctors wouldn't even take them with that coverage) It was time to move back to Canada where it costs $75/month and no deductible.
Obamacare is the only reason I can afford insurance, though -- and keep in mind that I'm a lawyer with a high enough income to not get any subsidies. With a pre-existing mental health condition, the only insurance I was able to get the year before it passed was $750 a month, just for myself, with a $10,000 deductible. I wasn't even offered any other insurance that year. I've been buying Platinum level plans on the exchange, which means zero deductible, and even with no subsidy the most I've ever had to pay was $590 a month.

What we need in this country is the political will to 1) cut the private insurance industry out of healthcare completely, at least for a certain basic level of care, and 2) negotiate prices with pharmaceutical companies using the bargaining power of the entire national market, or at least of entire states.

Last edited by DrPlacebo : 01-19-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-19-2018, 09:54 PM
flops flops is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 190
flops has received several accolades
Default

The things you learn...1. talking about the weather is sometimes very interesting, and 2. bwt used to be Radar.

(ps. Here, if you don't have private health insurance, you pay 2% of your taxable income if you earn over 25Kish per year. This levy supports our nationwide health service, except for ambulance cover which costs about $80 per year. The majority of hospitals in Australia are public and you go, or are taken to the nearest one if somethings goes wrong. If they don't specialise enough in whatever is wrong with you, they transfer you to one that does. Most GP's bulk bill too, so you can have a major catastrophe without any out of pocket expenses....seems to work pretty well....)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-20-2018, 11:22 AM
mcdonna's Avatar
mcdonnaPremium Member mcdonna is offline
Keeps Trying
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Corvallis OR
Posts: 272
mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPlacebo View Post
Obamacare is the only reason I can afford insurance, though -- and keep in mind that I'm a lawyer with a high enough income to not get any subsidies. With a pre-existing mental health condition, the only insurance I was able to get the year before it passed was $750 a month, just for myself, with a $10,000 deductible. I wasn't even offered any other insurance that year. I've been buying Platinum level plans on the exchange, which means zero deductible, and even with no subsidy the most I've ever had to pay was $590 a month.

What we need in this country is the political will to 1) cut the private insurance industry out of healthcare completely, at least for a certain basic level of care, and 2) negotiate prices with pharmaceutical companies using the bargaining power of the entire national market, or at least of entire states.
I was without any health insurance for the first 10 years after moving to Oregon, because my California Blue Cross wouldn't transfer me to Oregon's Blue Cross without a new application, and I was declined everywhere because of 3 very minor pre-conditions. I was very grateful for Obamacare, and even more grateful when I qualified for Medicare a couple of years later.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-20-2018, 11:24 AM
mcdonna's Avatar
mcdonnaPremium Member mcdonna is offline
Keeps Trying
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Corvallis OR
Posts: 272
mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flops View Post
The things you learn...1. talking about the weather is sometimes very interesting, and 2. bwt used to be Radar.

(ps. Here, if you don't have private health insurance, you pay 2% of your taxable income if you earn over 25Kish per year. This levy supports our nationwide health service, except for ambulance cover which costs about $80 per year. The majority of hospitals in Australia are public and you go, or are taken to the nearest one if somethings goes wrong. If they don't specialise enough in whatever is wrong with you, they transfer you to one that does. Most GP's bulk bill too, so you can have a major catastrophe without any out of pocket expenses....seems to work pretty well....)
I don't think there are any other advanced countries in the world whose healthcare system has so many overpricednesses and dysfunctionalnesses as ours does. Or maybe we're just not as advanced a country as we like to think?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-21-2018, 06:40 AM
lalatan lalatan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 638
lalatan is on the road to greatness
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonna View Post
I don't think there are any other advanced countries in the world whose healthcare system has so many overpricednesses and dysfunctionalnesses as ours does. Or maybe we're just not as advanced a country as we like to think?
I'm glad that you and DrP both found some "affordable" (as Obama termed it) medical coverage.

As I wrote before we pay $75Cdn/month for medical services like lab tests, doctor visits, ambulance, hospital stays, medically required surgeries and emergencies. What I didn't mention is that $75 covers 2 adults and any family members. 1 adult and a family is charged $37.50/month. Everyone above a certain income level pays that flat rate; it goes down if your net income is less. We have to pay for our own prescriptions, eye and dental care. The dark side of healthcare here is you often have to wait a long time to get something done. e.g. It took 6 months for my wife to see a foot specialist. Now it will be a year before she can get the surgery. The doctors are overworked, overbooked and it often takes 2 weeks to even get an appointment. Ironically, it's hard to get physicians because many want to go to the US where the big bucks are.

So, I agree with your assessment of US healthcare. We would have been charged $1,250Cdn/month the rest of our lives for basically no coverage until we paid the $5k deductible for each person. Compared to $75/month we pay here it was a no-brainer we needed to leave. While living in Cali, I had to pay 8-10 times as much for a topical painkiller to treat my chronic foot pain. All the prescription drugs were more expensive too.

Last edited by lalatan : 01-21-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-21-2018, 08:01 AM
DrPlacebo DrPlacebo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 380
DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness
Default

"Affordable" is a comparative term. I'm just pointing out how awful it was the year before Obamacare went into effect: I was paying almost as much for myself alone as what you found unacceptable for a family, and with a much higher deductible. The only reason I paid for it at all was to avoid being denied coverage in the future for a pre-existing condition.

Anyway, I find it sort of interesting that what I consider the coldest weather I can stand is about the same as what you consider the warmest weather you can stand.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-21-2018, 08:11 AM
lalatan lalatan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 638
lalatan is on the road to greatness
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPlacebo View Post
What we need in this country is the political will to 1) cut the private insurance industry out of healthcare completely, at least for a certain basic level of care, and 2) negotiate prices with pharmaceutical companies using the bargaining power of the entire national market, or at least of entire states.
I agree with you on both counts.
Edit: saw your post about your preexisting condition conundrum. Sounds like they only wanted to ensure totally healthy people. A nasty situation to be in for sure.

Last edited by lalatan : 01-21-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

About Puzzle Baron

The Puzzle Baron family of web sites has served millions and millions of puzzle enthusiasts since its inception in 2006. From cryptograms to acrostics, logic puzzles to drop quotes, patchwords to wordtwist and even sudoku, we run the gamut in word puzzles, printable puzzles and logic games.

Questions or Comments?

The word 'bought' has how many letters in it?