Red face Really? Lalatan?

Played: 26 times
Average Score: 173.5 points
Average Words: 40.3 words
High Score: 326 points by dixie
Most Words: 66 words by dixie
Best Word: POLYSACCHARIDE (20 pts) by lalatan
Longest Word: POLYSACCHARIDE (14 letters) by lalatan

ummm, like, I know it isn't long, or really that high scoring (compared to you, not me), but.....sigh....
Old 01-18-2018, 06:59 PM

flops has received several accolades

I might mention that its 42 degress celcius here (around 107 and a bit), Regardless, the letters for this were a labyrinth.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:01 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

I don't have any minimum point value standard for records I set. I won't turn it down even if it's only 12 points as long as I think it's the best or longest word available on that board (or I didn't notice the timer expiring, which happens a lot: target fixation).

Any time I see the letter combination -acch- I look for SACCHARIDE(S), POLYSACCHARIDE(S) LIPOPOLYSACCHARIDE(S). I've set records with all of them. It's a pretty unique string of characters.

107F!!! I don't think I could even think in heat like that. I lived for a year in northern California and the temperature most summer days was 90-100F. I couldn't stand it. So, sooo, sooOOO glad to be back in Canada where summer temps here peak at 85-90F or 30-32C.

I lived in the province of Alberta most of my life and endured the opposite end of temperature extremes. January 1972 the temp never rose above 0F/-18C the whole month. One radio station handed out certificates of achievement for living through it. It got down to -40C/F (the 2 scales meet at that point) 1 or more times each winter. In grade 7 my buddy and I walked the 1 mile to school when the temp was -45F with a wind chill of -45 making the effective temp -90F (I know! Brain damage). We heard on the radio schools would be open but no classes would be held (Why I don't know. A warm haven for people with hypothermia about to die on the streets? haha). We were delighted we got to play sports all day in the gym. On the way back home we were walking into the wind so we had to stop at the mall halfway to warm up. My cheeks got frost nip (small wonder). They had a white tinge when I looked in the mirror and hurt like crazy as they warmed up. But that had happened before too.

Last edited by lalatan : 01-19-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:01 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was just starting my software business, I had a little apartment over my garage which I used as an office. There was little money, certainly not enough for air conditioning. I had a little thermometer in the office, and it regularly reached 114 with the windows open. The humidity was usually around 40 - 50%. I drank an awful lot of water, but after a while you don't notice the heat very much -- at least if you're sitting and not in the sun. And while I was in the Army in Korea, the summer temperatures were usually somewhere over 100, with humidity close to 100%. In the morning when the sun rose over the rice paddies, you could see a brown cloud of mosquitoes in the 90 degree heat. When I was a lad, I had a paper route of 2 - 3 miles in Ishpeming Michigan. One morning it was -43 F. There was no wind, but it took me an hour to walk the route. The last few hundred yards I couldn't feel my legs from the thigh down, and when I got home and took off my fleece-lined boots, my ski socks were frozen to my toes. I lost a little skin, but that was all. The coldest wind chill was in 1985, when I was north of Chicago near Grayslake. The air temperature was -28F, but the wind was 60 mph and the wind chill temperature was -104. I was out only long enough to get the mail, and every moment hurt. When you're 71, I'll bet you'll have some stories to tell, too.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwt1213 View Post
When you're 71, I'll bet you'll have some stories to tell, too.
At 63, I'm not far behind you. I'm happy to say my cold weather stories have been truncated. I'm now on the west coast and the coldest it got here was 10F/-12C in the last 3 years. I never want to go back.
Your time in the Army in Korea sounds absolutely brutal. In Canada's far north the mosquitoes are so thick in summertime you would bleed out in 4 minutes if uncovered.

Last edited by lalatan : 01-19-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:22 AM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
107F!!! I don't think I could even think in heat like that. I lived for a year in northern California and the temperature most summer days was 90-100F. I couldn't stand it. So, sooo, sooOOO glad to be back in Canada where summer temps here peak at 85-90F or 30-32C.

I lived in the province of Alberta most of my life and endured the opposite end of temperature extremes. January 1972 the temp never rose above 0F/-18C the whole month. One radio station handed out certificates of achievement for living through it. It got down to -40C/F (the 2 scales meet at that point) 1 or more times each winter. In grade 7 my buddy and I walked the 1 mile to school when the temp was -45F with a wind chill of -45 making the effective temp -90F (I know! Brain damage). We heard on the radio schools would be open but no classes would be held (Why I don't know. A warm haven for people with hypothermia about to die on the streets? haha). We were delighted we got to play sports all day in the gym. On the way back home we were walking into the wind so we had to stop at the mall halfway to warm up. My cheeks got frost nip (small wonder). They had a white tinge when I looked in the mirror and hurt like crazy as they warmed up. But that had happened before too.
I'm guessing you lived somewhere inland when you were in California? I live in Sacramento. But my experience is different, because it's the coldest place I've ever lived!

I was born in Houston, Texas (similar temperatures to Sacramento, but much more humid), but mostly grew up in Dubai, UAE because my parents worked in the oil industry before returning to Houston in middle school. I went to Caltech in Pasadena, California (temperatures peaking at up to 120F in the summer), stayed in Pasadena for about six years after graduating, and then came to Sacramento for law school.

Back when I was in Dubai, I lived three blocks from school, so always walked. I remembered 1990-91 was an especially cold winter for Dubai, and I still remembered bundling up in three or four layers of clothing to walk to school in the frigid mornings. Many years later, I looked at Dubai's weather data. The lowest temperature ever recorded in Dubai was 8C (46F) and the lowest temperature recorded in the winter of 1990-91 was 11C (52F).No wonder I thought Texas had six months of winter every year when I came back to the US! At the time I was used to playing soccer when it was over 40C and 80-90% humidity -- even though the Arabian Peninsula is mostly desert, Dubai is extremely humid because it's right on the coast.

Last edited by DrPlacebo : 01-19-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:36 PM

Wow DrP!! You have lead a heated existence!
Yeah, we lived up the road from you in Colfax but spent time in Auburn and Sac shopping etc. My wife went to Sierra College at Rocklin.
I watched the US track and field championships held at Sac on TV. The temp trackside was 107F. A high jumper said his shoe soles were starting to melt.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:37 PM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
At 63, I'm not far behind you. I'm happy to say my cold weather stories have been truncated. I'm now on the west coast and the coldest it got here was 10F/-12C in the last 3 years. I never want to go back.
Your time in the Army in Korea sounds absolutely brutal. In Canada's far north the mosquitoes are so thick in summertime you would bleed out in 4 minutes if uncovered.
Korea in the wintertime (I was 11,000 feet from the DMZ, so pretty far north), the wind is off the Mongolian Steppes, and the temperatures get really cold. One particular day, it was -17 and the only truck that would start -- the only vehicle at all that would start -- was missing a windshield. We needed parts for the ambulances (I was company clerk at a MASH unit) and I got the privilege of driving to go get them. It was an hour there and an hour back and I hadn't been that cold since my paper route. The weather in Korea is pretty extreme. In Ishpeming, it was never very hot and frequently cold, even in the summertime (frost and snow even on the 4th of July, at least once I can remember).
Old 01-19-2018, 12:52 PM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Wow DrP!! You have lead a heated existence!
Yeah, we lived up the road from you in Colfax but spent time in Auburn and Sac shopping etc. My wife went to Sierra College at Rocklin.
I watched the US track and field championships held at Sac on TV. The temp trackside was 107F. A high jumper said his shoe soles were starting to melt.
That high ground temperature would come more from direct sunlight on a dark surface than from air temperature. But yeah, I realize Sac is hot by most people's standards. Still, when people complain about the summer heat here, I can't help but notice that summers here are still the coolest and most pleasant of anywhere I've lived.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:24 PM
Keeps Trying

mcdonna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Small world! I grew up in Oregon but went to the Bay Area for school/high tech and then moved to Coloma after I discovered whitewater kayaking. (Coloma is about 45 minutes due east of Sacramento and less than 20 miles south of Colfax as the crow flies.) The main reason I moved back to Oregon was the hot summers. When it's over 85 degrees, I melt unless I'm on the river.

The scary part is that we've been setting summer heat records in western Oregon the past few summers. I finally broke down and bought a window air conditioner. Used to be that almost no one in the Willamette Valley had air conditioning (or felt they needed it). So I may need to head farther north!