Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 12-13-2018, 06:57 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landmarks

Today is my birthday. I am 72 today. It's also our dog Sophie's last day; the poor girl can barely get up and she can't eat very well. We got her as a rescue when she was barely over a year old. All the vets who saw her then said she should be euthanized; she couldn't walk and her hind legs were beginning to atrophy. We worked with her and with various dog rehab places, and after a year of treatment she could walk again. In another year, she was good enough to chase and catch a rabbit. She's had a long life, but the end has come. She can't do much of anything any more, but we're going to give her the best last day we can. We hope that there is a better place for her to be, but at least she won't be in pain, frustrated, and hoping for some relief. She loves ice cream, and she can still lick that a little at a time, so she's getting all she wants. I wish there were more we could do, but we did all we could for more than 12 years and that will have to be enough. Golden retrievers don't often live to be 13 1/2, so she beat the odds. When my time comes, I hope I'm missed half as much as I will miss her.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:45 AM

ThunderRock is on the road to greatness

Happy Birthday to you and so sorry to hear about your dog. I had to put my 12 yr old golden retriever down 5 years ago.. she was my buddy...went swimming with me all the time and always followed me around the house. KILLED me to have to put her down because of a twisted Colon. I still think of her all the time. Its like losing a family member for sure. My eyes ALWAYS fill up when I talk about her. Be strong but I know how hard it will be for you... Sending you best wishes
Old 12-13-2018, 08:29 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

bwt, my condolences to you and your wife. And to you ThunderRock as well.

Last edited by lalatan : 12-13-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:20 AM

InsertNameHere is an unknown quantity at this point

These kinds of stories always make me sad.

Last edited by InsertNameHere : 12-13-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:37 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

bwt, I'm really sorry to hear about Sophie. I had a dalmatian (Raisin) that got to 13+, My wife (at the time) went to the pound while I was out of the country, looking for a cat. She came back with Raisin. He was a face biter. (Not me though. He liked me at first sight for some reason.) He wasn't a spring chicken when we got him. Anyway, I got custody when we split up. He also got a twisted colon, and I got that fixed to the tune of $1000 or so. The last few years, he was incontinent & very unsteady on his feet. (I'd wrap a towel around his body to support him while he walked.) At the end, I really should have taken him in, but he died on my sofa on my birthday. (It was my 49th, back in 2002.) Now I have old cats, and I assume that time for them may be coming.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:38 PM

littlemarph is an unknown quantity at this point

My deepest condolences. A few years ago I had to lay to rest my sweet old girl, a pitt mix who lived until she was 16 and couldn't stand up anymore. It's so difficult to do this, as much as you know it is the best thing for the dog. Sophie was lucky to have you, and you her. It sounds like you gave her the best possible life.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:38 AM

Today, we lost our last dog. Jake was okay until he suddenly (over about two weeks) wasn't. The vet's words were "metastatic lung cancer", which explained why he was having so much trouble breathing. No cure, no treatment, no hope. Goodbye, Jake. That's two in two months, and I can't find the words. I hope there's a rainbow bridge for pets and that Sophie was waiting there for him. He was a good boy, and I told him so. He was our smartest dog, and he might have understood what I said. I hope so.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:01 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

bwt, I'm really sorry to hear about Jake. Hell, I didn't even know him & I'm tearing up. Maybe that's because I've been through it before, or that I've had other recent losses, or that I have two old cats who probably won't last too much longer. Anyway, I assume that we all feel your loss.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:13 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

I'm sorry for your loss, bwt. I don't have the right words because I never had a pet that I bonded with on such a level (we had hamsters when I was a kid, and my mom's cat is a grumpy menace), but I wanted to express my sympathy nonetheless. I'm sure Jake understood what you said to him. I hope the grief for his passing will get easier to bear in time.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:38 AM

Thank you to everyone for all the kind words and understanding. Our pets are all members of our families. They are friends and always love us, no matter how bad times get, how sick we are, or how sick they are. Every pet I've ever had died with nothing but love in their hearts. What hurts most is that they all wanted to live, just a moment more; one life was not enough. And it isn't, not for any of us. May you all be remembered fondly and well, and leave with nothing but love in your heart, too.