Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 02-01-2019, 10:54 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For all you Aussies out there.

I know you guys are enduring a record heat wave, so here's something you might find refreshing: A couple days ago, I went to Weather Underground for the latest forecast. It said today's high would be -6 (-21 C) and the low would be -27 (-33 C) and tomorrow would be MUCH COLDER. The forecast called for a high of -15 and a low of -31. with a windchill of -51 (-46 C). We have one dog left, and poor Jake has developed a limp caused by hip dysplasia (on the x-rays, he basically has no hip socket left on his right side, so it's permanently dislocated). I took him out and helped him walk when he needed to go, so I was able to experience what it felt like. It had to be worse for him. If he were a younger dog, he'd have surgery. But Jake is 12 and a little old for that. On the bright side, spring and summer ought to be much easier for him. We just have to endure the next few months, and in the meantime he's getting twice-a-week vet visits for treatments and taking pain meds. Getting old isn't much fun for anyone! I did read something amusing on line. About 5 days after the extreme cold, it was supposed to go all the way up to nearly 50 degrees (10 C), and then to plunge right back into extreme cold again. The funny thing: That's supposedly a "bi-polar vortex".
Old 02-01-2019, 11:35 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

I guess the polar vortex is a standard circulation of really cold air in high altitudes around the poles, and what you're getting is some kind of instability that sends some of that air lower, both in altitude and latitude. (I wonder if they're getting the same at the south pole during their winter.) Anyway, you (and Jake) have my sympathies. I think the coldest weather I've been in is -24 F (in Kansas, of all places).

I had an old dalmatian, Raisin, with arthritis, and I also did the assisted walking thing (wrapping a towel around him & basically carting him around like a suitcase). I wish both of you the best of luck & a long life.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

pdiddp has received several accolades

I read where the polar vortex effect is being caused by the climate changing. With air warmer on average worldwide, some of that warmer air is moving to the polar regions which is causing that instability. Assuming that is what's happenning I guess we can look forward to more vortexes in the future!
Old 02-01-2019, 07:37 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

I read that the gulf stream normally acts as a barrier for the cold air of the polar vortex, keeping it contained North of the Arctic circle. However, the gulf stream has been weakening in past years due to climate change, and that's possibly what destabilised the polar vortex. It sort of split in two, making forays into Siberia as well as America.

The thing about climate change is that even though scientists don't always understand exactly how everything is connected, they all pretty much agree that something has changed and humans have exacerbated if not caused a lot of the problems facing the earth right now. Just because they don't all agree on the details isn't proof that they're wrong. People who say that they don't believe in global warming because of a cold winter clearly don't understand climate change. It's like they're sitting in a large building and when someone tells them the roof is on fire, they say "nah, I don't believe you because the basement is flooded." One doesn't disprove the other, and you should make sure your children are safe and start putting out that fire instead of closing your eyes and continuing as before.

Sorry for the rant. To everyone who is experiencing extreme weather right now, be it hot or cold, wet or dry: stay safe and take care of yourself! Keeping you in my thoughts.

Last edited by crazykate : 02-01-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:32 PM
Premium Member

pdiddp has received several accolades

I'd bet that things are connected in several ways many that won't come to light until those connections bend, break or change. And even then it may not be obvious what changed to cause any given phenomenon.

Unfortunately too many people live in little closed-off worlds. Tell someone that the oceans are slowly filling with plastic and they look at the local beach and say "no it's not" even as harbors and coastlines in many places are getting choked with the stuff. Climate change is melting the glaciers and ice worldwide which no one denies now yet many people say it's natural and point out that it's happened in the past. And of course it has but in tens of thousands of years or longer, not in a few decades! Studies in the Puerto Rico forests and in Germany have shown that insects are drastically lower in numbers, in some cases by 75% or more but tell that to the guy who's busy spraying to kill weeds, bugs and otherwise keep his yard sterile and he either laughs or gets mad. It's like if it's NIMBY it doesn't exist!

I'm afraid they're in for a rude awakening and we're all in for a very rough ride sooner than later.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:43 AM

HyacinthBucket6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard from someone that the Gulf Stream current is actually sinking (or changing it's course, I can't remember which) because of all the fresh water that's pouring into the Atlantic from the melting ice sheets from Greenland and the arctic. It could also mean much colder weather (specifically winters) across the UK. I live in southern Ontario in Canada and work outdoors and this past week was very difficult, but probably wasn't much better for the people working outdoors in Australia! With global warming here in Ontario, it's looking like colder snaps in the winter and much hotter summers. Not good!
Old 02-02-2019, 01:27 PM

JJBeanie is an unknown quantity at this point

bwt1213 - hope it's getting warmer where you are and that your dog isn't in too much discomfort. Today is a little cooler where I am in Australia, but I would still appreciate it if you could send me some snow to throw in the bathtub!
Old 02-03-2019, 03:06 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Today, it's 43 (6 C) and tomorrow it is forecast to be 46, with a steady light rain. Then back to cold again. Jake is moving a little better today. I sure wish you could send us some heat; we'd be happy to ship megatons of snow.