Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 01-06-2019, 08:40 AM

shock is on the road to greatness

I know lalatan has me on his ignore list, so if someone could send this to him someway, that would be greatly appreciated.

lalatan, after reading what you just said, I feel horrible. I am truly and terribly sorry for all the extra stress I have put upon you. The main reason I did this average points per word cheat was actually to get a 1st place trophy. I lied before: those trophies are important and do mean a lot to the people here. I had always wanted to get a trophy in this game, and when I found out that you could do this cheat, I jumped at it. Now, seeing your situation, I really shouldn't have done it. You and Spike really do work hard to get the points up for that competition. I know you said you don't care about anything I have to say, but I hope this changes your mind. I really am sorry about what I have done and I hope you can forgive me.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:46 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussDNails View Post
Dear Lalatan,

I just got done typing out a lengthy private message to you but the program is telling me your settings are such that you are not able or don't want to receive private messages.

Some of it was a bit more personal in nature but I had some suspicion you might have been thinking of me when you mentioned losing an ally. I assure you this is not the case and I honestly just got tired of listening to your agitator's groveling. If you didn't have me in mind, please forgive me for overstepping.

Russ
OMG Russ!! No, no, NO! I would never think that of you!! SO sorry that you had your message rejected. I appreciate very much you took the time to compose it. You are a person of great character and a great player.

I don't trust the text editor on this forum so, while writing PM's and posts, I copy what I'm writing to the clipboard. It has saved me a few times when something goes wrong. But sometimes I forget to do it and have occasionally been nailed by it.

I'm glad that shock is groveling (I'm human) but I still don't want to see his posts. Maybe someday. That will take some time for me.

Last edited by lalatan : 01-08-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Ok, folks, it seems one of my staunchest allies in the past put me on ignore. So, that's a clear sign it's time for me to exit this forum. I have become WAY, way, way too emotionally invested in this game. (My wife told me a while ago and she's right.) It's not healthy for me or for you. So a divorce is necessary.

I subconsciously become a policeman here and that's not my role. Admin should be doing that. It pains me to leave but I know I have to. I will miss talking about words with other people who also enjoy it probably the most.
Just before I wrote this, I saw a post from shock, then kate and another from shock. Incredibly, I saw kate's post was hidden from me because I was on her ignore list. (Of course, shock's words were hidden as well so I didn't know what they were saying.)
Consequently, my paranoid mind at the time assumed she felt I went too far in my comments about shock and decided to put me on her ignore list like the message said. (WTH WordTwist???!!!! I sure wish you'd get your s**t together on this website!!!) I sent her a PM saying I regretted pushing her to make that decision and respected her right to do so. Then I shut off my ability to receive PM's because I thought the haters might start filling my inbox. My emotions were so raw I couldn't bear to hear anything the least bit negative from anyone. So I put kate on my ignore list as I believed she was supporting shock. (Even today all of kate's posts were hidden from me for the same reason. I saw Spike's quote of 1 of kate's posts, which led me to believe that maybe I was tragically mistaken in my assumptions. Thanks for doing that Spike!!! I removed her from my ignore list today and found that I was indeed wrong.)

kate, I have great respect for you so I'm very sorry you unintentionally got sucked into this whole mess. I ask for your forgiveness and hope you understand why I acted the way I did.

Last edited by lalatan : 01-08-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:39 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Jesus! I know that you're not looking for sympathy, but you'e got it. Some pain comes with aging. (Surprise! You're getting older. Let's see what's new today.) But your's sounds beyond the pale. The Hell's Angels/abusive husband stuff is new. (I've actually read that pets are a big reason that women stay in abusive relationships, and more women's shelters now allow pets.) I hope that works out.

I'm not sure that I actually quoted a post of kate's, but I'm glad that worked out. (I had no idea that any "ignore" things worked on regular posts.) I couldn't really see her ignoring you.

As far as shock goes, he/she seems fairly penitent. While they deserve watching, forgiveness isn't something you do for others, it's something you do for yourself. It just takes a lot less of your energy. (Forgive me if this sounds stupid.)

Last edited by Spike1007 : 01-06-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:32 PM

RussDNails is an unknown quantity at this point

No worries lalatan--I'm sorry to hear of your ongoing personal and health struggles and hope things work out for the best. I was pretty sure we were OK but as you say I like some people tend to be less chatty and was growing weary of "shocks" posts and took a step back. I wish nothing but the best for you moving forward. Health problems/pain in any form suck and it makes you not yourself sometimes.............I hope at the very least WordTwist can bring you the same distraction/enjoyment it once did once your personal life settles down. And certainly don't let one goofball deter you from participating here......

Cheers,

Russ

P.S. I agree, the messaging system on this site is really quite archaic. It's 2019 but this feels like AOL in the 1990s!

Last edited by RussDNails : 01-06-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Dear lalatan, your life sounds very stressful right now, I hope that things improve for you soon!

I believe that since you put shock on your ignore list, you naturally can't read his thread nor anything anyone wrote in it. But that's because he's on your ignore list, not the other way around. He can obviously still see your thread, since he just posted a rather lengthy apology in it (and I believe he genuinely regrets causing you additional pain).

In his own thread, he claimed that while he exploited that scoring loophole, he never used a boggle solver, and that he'd be playing fairly this month. I told him that I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, but that he started off on the wrong foot in our community and would have to work to gain our trust.

I truly believe that those of us who have been here a while are a community of sorts who are more supportive than competitive, and I hope that these positive vibes will prevail even with the occasional conflict thrown in.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:44 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

pdiddp, I saw that you just got on the board for the month. I'm impressed as hell. I don't think that lalatan or I really had to step down for the month.

Anyway, a very early congratulations!

Last edited by Spike1007 : 01-08-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:55 AM
Premium Member

pdiddp has received several accolades

Thanks! I hadn't planned on this high a score but the first word I got for the month was worth 42 points and it seemed a shame to have it drop too far. I am surprised I kept it as close to 40 a I did with all the good words I clicked by!

I'll probably have to take a break after this month, I think I'm wearing out my mouse! Plus I've had to pass up too many possible record words keeping that average up.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:10 AM

Thank you ThunderRock, pdiddp, Spike, Russ and kate for what you wrote and for your goodwill toward me. I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddp View Post
And just in case I'm wrong and there is a setting mix-up where he can't see your posts then he can read at least one in the above quote!
Thanks for doing that!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
I know that you're not looking for sympathy, but you'e got it. Some pain comes with aging. (Surprise! You're getting older. Let's see what's new today.) But your's sounds beyond the pale.
My situation isn't all bleak. The sun actually shines once in a while into the suite we rent (unlike some other dungeons we lived in). We have a dishwasher and high speed internet included in the rent. We live in a scenic area, lots of mountains and the ocean close by. I know there are plenty of people worse off than me (most of the third world). I know 2 ladies who have constant pain from fibromyalgia. When it hits them hard, they have no energy and can barely move, sometimes for hours. At least I can get up and move around when I want.
Quote:
(I've actually read that pets are a big reason that women stay in abusive relationships, and more women's shelters now allow pets.)
Yes indeed. She will NOT leave w/o that dog. At some level I think it's somewhat ridiculous that our friend won't leave w/o her possessions and dog. But I get it. We lost everything we had b/c we couldn't pay storage fees in the US after waiting 18 months for my wife's permanent residency here (It was supposed to take 6-8 months. Everyone else on the immigration forum sailed through like they were supposed to.) and 2.5 years of unemployment for my wife (including the 18 months she couldn't work legally). When you have very little you want to hold onto it since it's hard to ever get it back.
Quote:
I'm not sure that I actually quoted a post of kate's, but I'm glad that worked out.
You were not incorrect about that.
Quote:
As far as shock goes, he/she seems fairly penitent. While they deserve watching, forgiveness isn't something you do for others, it's something you do for yourself. It just takes a lot less of your energy. (Forgive me if this sounds stupid.)
Very true, Spike. I realize I need to forgive him. Maybe I have intellectually forgiven already but I need time for my emotions to catch up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
I believe that since you put shock on your ignore list, you naturally can't read his thread nor anything anyone wrote in it. But that's because he's on your ignore list, not the other way around. He can obviously still see your thread, since he just posted a rather lengthy apology in it (and I believe he genuinely regrets causing you additional pain).
Yes, I knew shock would still see my posts but could do nothing about it. I made a mistake when I said your posts were hidden on my thread. However, what first set me off is when I saw your post on shock's thread (the one entitled ...) and it was definitely hidden when I opened his thread from the forum feed. That was before I erroneously put you on my ignore list. (As Spike said: surprise, there are glitches on this forum.) Nevertheless I concede I could have possibly got that wrong b/c when I'm under a lot of stress I don't always think rationally. Currently I can see your post on his thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
I truly believe that those of us who have been here a while are a community of sorts who are more supportive than competitive, and I hope that these positive vibes will prevail even with the occasional conflict thrown in.
I believe it's a supportive community as well.

I plan to take at least a 1 month sabbatical from the forum and thereafter to not post as much. (As my learned friend Spike says, "We shall see how that goes." ) In the meantime, I will continue playing this game since I enjoy it and I don't want to lose the skills I spent almost 5 years developing. I learned it only takes a few days of not playing and they start to get rusty.

I am definitely retiring as policeman/detective on this website. With such a lack of rules for competitions here, it's wide open for abuse. Also, if someone accuses me of cheating again, I intend to have the attitude, "Whatever. It has been done before. No need to get morally indignant about it. My record speaks for itself." But, if one of the people I know is under attack, I will likely defend them.

Adios for now. Enjoy the games all!

Last edited by lalatan : 01-11-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

pdiddp has received several accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Thank you ThunderRock, pdiddp, Spike, Russ and kate for what you wrote and for your goodwill toward me. I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

I believe it's a supportive community as well.

I plan to take at least a 1 month sabbatical from the forum and thereafter to not post as much. (As my learned friend Spike says, "We shall see how that goes." ) In the meantime, I will continue playing this game since I enjoy it and I don't want to lose the skills I spent almost 5 years developing. I learned it only takes a few days of not playing and they start to get rusty.

I am definitely retiring as policeman/detective on this website. With such a lack of rules for competitions here, it's wide open for abuse. Also, if someone accuses me of cheating again, I intend to have the attitude, "Whatever. It has been done before. No need to get morally indignant about it. My record speaks for itself." But, if one of the people I know is under attack, I will likely defend them.

Adios for now. Enjoy the games all!
I think that's the best attitude to have in this game, or really almost any online game or site that's open to the public. There will always be people who try to bend, break or find holes in the rules to win or just to be destructive and there will always be people who cry cheat or fake or whatever when someone's skill surpasses their own or just to get a 'rise' out of their target.

Unfortunately those trouble-causing trolls are everywhere!

Some years ago I belonged to a site called Myoats, a social drawing platform where it was much like it is here except it involved art not words. People from around the world doing something they enjoyed, critiquing each others work and having fun with the back and forth on the forum. And much like this site we had trouble with trolls causing problems by posting stupid, nasty comments or trying to mess with our getting "trophies" (ie, being voted into the top ten of the week etc) by uploading lousy/lewd drawings then liking them themselves with fake accounts.

Stupid trolls!

But I'm glad your going to be continuing playing Lalatan! It would be a sorrier community here without you!