Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 09-19-2018, 10:34 AM

Lovetoyou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 16 letter word

Found a 16 letter word MISAPPREHENSIONS in a puzzle that had been played 45 times.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

Brisul is on the road to greatness

That's incredible!!!
Old 09-19-2018, 11:43 AM

zolorbowl is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done!
Old 09-19-2018, 05:33 PM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

Congrats!

Not a 16-letter word, but I just broke both the high-scoring word and long word records on a board with 50 plays. The most surprising thing is that the words lasted so long without being found -- 50 plays is a lot!

YOUR STATS:
Total points: 429 New record!New record!
Total words: 63 (28 common,11 wide,9 rare,15 ultra rare)
Best word: CANTONIZATIONS (29 pts.) New record!New record!
Longest word: CANTONIZATIONS (14 letters) New record!New record!

PUZZLE STATS:

Played: 50 times
Average Score: 167.6 points
Average Words: 35.9 words
High Score: 418 points by Mackers2
Most Words: 85 words by Mackers2
Best Word: PUNCTATIONS (20 pts) by ferniehaze
Longest Word: CANONIZATIONS (13 letters) by capafero
Old 09-20-2018, 01:29 AM

erakis17 is on the road to greatness

Awesome job Lovetoyou!

As DrPlacebo says, there's a special satisfaction when you manage something like that on a board with a lot of plays. 40+ plays not only gives time for a lot of players to test themselves, but it also gives more chance for any player to have a standout game of their own. On a heavily played game, even if I see a record holder I can usually best, I know I'll have I have more trouble beating them because of that selection bias. It's a good challenge.

It's one reason I wish the boards stuck around even longer (say 100 games). For 5x5 you'd have to raise the 600 pt threshold for retirement, because otherwise it would tilt the mix strongly towards the already more-recycled lower scoring boards. But I'd love that combination of changes: say, retire after either 100 games or someone scoring 800 pts.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:54 AM

Lovetoyou is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone!
Superb Job DrPlacebo!
Erakis17, do you know when boards are retired? I don't recall seeing any with more than 51 or 52 plays on them
Old 09-20-2018, 08:27 AM

erakis17 is on the road to greatness

The board's time is up when it hits 51 plays or someone scores above 600 points. There's some delay; probably it's done once a day or so, which accounts for the occasional past-expiration board.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:50 AM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by erakis17 View Post
Awesome job Lovetoyou!

As DrPlacebo says, there's a special satisfaction when you manage something like that on a board with a lot of plays. 40+ plays not only gives time for a lot of players to test themselves, but it also gives more chance for any player to have a standout game of their own. On a heavily played game, even if I see a record holder I can usually best, I know I'll have I have more trouble beating them because of that selection bias. It's a good challenge.

It's one reason I wish the boards stuck around even longer (say 100 games). For 5x5 you'd have to raise the 600 pt threshold for retirement, because otherwise it would tilt the mix strongly towards the already more-recycled lower scoring boards. But I'd love that combination of changes: say, retire after either 100 games or someone scoring 800 pts.
Exactly... I think the single most satisfying thing in this game, for me, is breaking the longest or highest-scoring word record on a board with 40+ plays. Usually, by the time that many games have been played, someone has already found the best words and thus cemented the records permanently because they can no longer be broken, only tied.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:26 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Good finds Lovetoyou and DrP!

Strangely enough I played the board you recycled today, DrP. I spotted -izations in the lower left corner. When I saw can- in the upper left corner I also looked for canton- and there it was: CANTONIZATIONS for 29 pts.

I once had a goal of bettering both best and longest word records on a board played 50 or more times as I also played other games. It took me 4 days to better 1 record and another 2 weeks to better both. Not an easy thing to achieve.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:20 AM

mjzerella is an unknown quantity at this point
Just found a 12-letter word ("polysyllabic") in a game with 50 plays. Oddly, the longest word found before me was only 7 letters ("syllabi"). Weird how the longer words stayed hidden for so long.