Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 08-17-2018, 05:36 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwt1213 View Post
And no, I don't have a problem with being outscored by that much. It is, after all, only a game.
Those were some wild point swings there. Every once in a while I'll get distracted while playing a game or lose track of the timer and the game submits. If I happened to try a poor scoring word and it sets new records anyway, I'm embarrassed that my ID appears next to it. But, as you say, it's only a game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
Anyway, good work!

By the way, I've been skipping most boards with only one ultra-rare 9+ word, and I've been wondering about the wisdom of that. Thanks for setting me straight.

Edit: My 44 point word was UNREPRESENTATIVENESSES. I should get my eyes checked.
Thanks Spike. Nice find on your word! I don't recall ever seeing a 44 pt word ending in -nesses.
I actually skip most boards with only one 9+ word, especially if the total ultra-rare count is low. On that board, there were no 7 or 8 ultra-rare words so I was curious if I could find that standalone big word.

Some days a person plays so many different big words it's hard to keep track of what they were. If you asked me what words I played 2 days ago, I wouldn't have a clue unless I kept a screenshot of it.

Edit: Wow, I just got to set new records with REINSTITUTIONALIZATION (45/22), REINSTITUTIONALIZATIONS (45/23). Also played INSTITUTIONALIZATIONS for 43 pts and a total of 133 for 3 words. (I remembered INSTITUTIONALIZATION was only worth 27 pts.) That happens less than frequently than people being hit by lightning. The previous records were 9/7.

Last edited by lalatan : 08-17-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:15 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

I apparently recorded the points wrong when I got UNREPRESENTATIVENESSES. Someone got it on the July list (I think) but for 42 points.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 08-17-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:30 PM

It may be 1 of those words that comes up as 44 pts after you play it but gets reduced to 42 when it submits.

I didn't think of it when I posted earlier today on this thread that I have now set records on the big 3 (all 45 pts). I guess that quest is over. Took me a little over 15 months to do it. I think it took me 8 months to even get to play for a 45 pt record. Have to savor those moments. (Last month I missed playing OVERINTELLECTUALIZATION for a 45 pt record. Didn't see it until there was not enough time to swipe it in. )
Old 08-18-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
It may be 1 of those words that comes up as 44 pts after you play it but gets reduced to 42 when it submits.

I didn't think of it when I posted earlier today on this thread that I have now set records on the big 3 (all 45 pts). I guess that quest is over. Took me a little over 15 months to do it. I think it took me 8 months to even get to play for a 45 pt record. Have to savor those moments. (Last month I missed playing OVERINTELLECTUALIZATION for a 45 pt record. Didn't see it until there was not enough time to swipe it in. )
You're probably right about the 44/42 points, although I know about the reductions.

Anyway, congrats on your goals! I've had "new" 45 point words, and 2 45 point words, but they weren't new. I'll have to try for that. This month, I did play a board (although I don't think it had been played before) and got 152 points with 4 words (an all time best for me, both for points/game and number of words). I wrote them down somewhere, but they were PALAEOsomethings. I used the variants with & without the extra A in PALAEO and with and without the final S (for 40, 38, 38 and 36 points).I'm wondering what the most you can get with 3 and 4 words. (You obviously got the best with 2.)

Last edited by Spike1007 : 08-19-2018 at 02:40 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:58 AM

Thanks Spike.
I probably should have explained what I meant by "big 3." I sometimes think of big word hunting in terms of big game hunting and "The Big 5" of Africa. The big three (the only available 45 pt best words to play on a given board) for us are:
OVERINTELLECTUALIZATION(S)
REINSTITUTIONALIZATION(S)
CONSTITUTIONALIZATIONS
I'm quite sure you're aware of that but thought I'd explain what I meant by big 3.

Congrats on setting 2 personal bests! I played that same board twice (the second time was just yesterday) this month where you got 152 pts for 4 words. I got the same result. The word is PALAEOANTHROPOLOGICAL and it's a good one for sure! I remembered it because it happened twice recently. I haven't tracked what the max score would be for 4 words but strongly suspect that it's this one.

As for max score with 3 words played I'm sure it has to be the 1 I wrote about 5 posts before this 1 in the Edit: section at the bottom.

It looks like your avg pts/word is going great for you this month. I don't intend to challenge you for it. I don't mind losing to a very skilled, affable opponent. The last while I've played some games where you were the record holder and was impressed by the words you found. (can't recall any though)

Looks like mordechaistein gave up the chase this month after joining WordTwist at the end of May.

The other day I realized I haven't seen any Spike1005 records for quite some time. All those boards must be recycled.

Last edited by lalatan : 08-19-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:37 PM

Actually, I'm glad that you explained the big 3. I hadn't really narrowed that down to three words. Maybe I'm slow...

As 005, especially towards the end, I was mostly clicking and trying to find existing long words, so I assume that any records I set are either rare or long gone. I have to admit that I did a lot of that this month as 007. That's definitely not as satisfying as finding and keeping new long words, I think that next month I'll revert to my usual game. It's more fun, and I do like seeing my name as a record holder on boards I've played.To me, it's more rewarding than getting a trophy.

Your score of 133 points for 3 words is very impressive, and would be very hard (if not impossible) to beat! I'd love to average over 40/word with 4 words. Let's see if that ever happens.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 08-19-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:15 AM

I first saw the big 3 on previous records set and memorized them early on in case I ever encountered them. I saw their variants on best words played lists. Unfortunately (see last paragraph), I didn't ever go down the lists beyond 36 pt words.

Why not revert to your usual style now? Your avg is high right now and you've played quite a few games. Just keep an eye on your avg and bump it up if required. Even if you dropped to 37 pts/word, I seriously doubt there would be any dark horses that would overtake you.

If you played INSTITUTIONALIZATION for 27 pts on the same board I got 133 pts, you would avg 40 pts/word exactly. I've had a few opportunities to do so over the months (on boards where the 45 pt record had already been claimed) but haven't because I wanted to keep my avg high.

I was burned once (or twice) each when I dropped the -s on INSTITUTIONALIZATIONS (when it was the best word available on that board) and COMPARTMENTALIZATIONS (both worth 43 pts) and wound up with 27 pts for the singular. So I've always remembered those 2 since.

Last edited by lalatan : 08-20-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:22 PM

Yes, I've been burned by dropping the S before, and sometimes kept the pair if the average was high enough. (I've also been burned by adding the S. I'm not sure how that works.) I don't always remember when that hurts, so I often err on the side of caution.

You're right that I could slack off now & still come out ahead. (Luckily, today I did find a "new" 40 point word, and when I'm not busy clicking, I do occasionally find & keep something that will lower my average, but not too much. In the last couple of days, I found & kept OVERATTENTIVENESSES (36) and DEMATERIALIZATIONS (37) (both for records).

I tend to be a points/word junkie, but I plan to go into rehab & lower my sights next month. I think I'm happiest aiming for low to mid 30s (with possibly some occasional clicking).
Old 08-20-2018, 04:03 PM

erakis17 is on the road to greatness

There's actually one more pair of 45-point words that have been found:
DEINSTITUTIONALIZATION(S)

Most recently by snsmithaz in March. There is also one more candidate that is in the CSW lexicon and thus very likely considered valid in this game:
OVERCOMMERCIALIZATIONS

But it's never been found, so either it's not in the longword list, or the board's just never been generated.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:16 PM

OK, so if there's ever a board with both the DE- & RE- versions, there's the possibility of a 180 point board with 4 words. I guess that's my holy grail.