Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 07-13-2018, 03:43 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm so much better than me!

Seriously, how often does this happen to anyone else?

YOUR STATS:
Total points: 649 New record!New record!
Total words: 116 (55 common,26 wide,8 rare,27 ultra rare) New record!New record!
Best word: STONKERS (15 pts.)
Longest word: STINKERS (8 letters)
PUZZLE STATS:

Played: 9 times
Average Score: 412.6 points
Average Words: 77.5 words
High Score: 549 points by bwt1213
Most Words: 104 words by clemsonq
Best Word: DECASUALISATIONS (30 pts) by pdiddp
Longest Word: DECASUALISATIONS (16 letters) by pdiddp
Old 07-13-2018, 04:01 AM
Premium Member

Brisul is on the road to greatness

Congratulations! Great work!

It's happened to me on a few occasions. It's always awesome when you obliterate one of your old scores. It's humbling when you come 100 points below your high score. That's happened to me a bunch of times too.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:29 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Congrats on stepping up your game, bwt! I love the title of your thread.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:52 AM

Thank you, lalatan. The thread title meant something to me, too. Not just "I can beat my previous score", but that I am always better than what I have done, what I have said, or what I have thought. The "me" that I have revealed to the world and myself is always less than the me that could be. Sometimes, I am surprised by how much less.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:54 AM

The run continues. I just took down RussDNails for high score on a board, with three fewer words. 579 to 573, 94 words to 97. I'm sure he had a bad (for him) game, and it
was a good one for me. I haven't passed his high score in more than a year on any game. My per-game average score has increased from 510.6 on the 12th to almost 517 today -- and I hope to go over 517 by the end of the day, the way things are going. And no, Russ is not one of my targets. The board looked promising and I didn't even notice who had the previous high score until the game was over.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:24 AM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

I almost always lose to my old high scores by 100+ points...
Old 07-20-2018, 11:22 AM

zolorbowl is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations bwt1213 for your recent breakthrough in performance, any progress is rewarding, but to top your own score is what it's all about.
This pic was taken a few minutes ago and is the most I have bested myself to date:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_screen_shot_2018-07-20_at_45438_pm.jpg (20.7 KB, 85 views)
Old 07-20-2018, 11:25 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Congrats bwt! You're on an uptrend.

Speaking of RussDNails, I encountered 1 of his games that was played once. He racked up 775 pts and also managed to set best/longest word records of 34/18 for DISREPUTABLENESSES. Awesome! I think he's one of the all-time greats on this site. I played the game to see what he found and I spent the first minute trying to make REPUDIATABLENESSES work. By the time I found DISREPUTABLENESSES 90 seconds had ticked off the clock.

Congrats to you too zolorbowl. I consider you 1 of the top players here too.

Last edited by lalatan : 07-20-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:32 AM

That's truly impressive, zolorbowl. I have never passed my own score by 134 points. If I ever make an improvement by that much or more, you can bet I'll be posting it in the boo-yeah corner. The thing with Russ was that I passed his scores pretty routinely for about the first two weeks or so he played, and then never passed him again until today. I'll bet it was a game where he got a phone call and couldn't exit or was otherwise distracted, but it's a high point for me no matter how it happened. I might have to wait another few years to do it again.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:30 PM

RussDNails is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey bwt, just thought I'd chime in here with a couple of thoughts since I was flattered to see you guys talking about me! Don't disparage your accomplishment of besting my score on that particular board. You really beat me.........I've gotten a little complacent about only playing the "easier", i.e. higher word count boards and have been playing (and submitting) some of the tougher boards again. It takes my average down a bit but I'll likely never be one of the the highest average players anyway because in spite of what I feel is a pretty strong vocabulary I'm a sucky typist! I'm always trying to pick up new words and I find that some of the lower word count boards are the best place to find some--the higher count boards tend to be loaded with many more commonplace words .

When I first started playing, I pretty much played every board and so many of the boards I played stayed in circulation--you then had more cracks at topping my scores--I'm basing this on the theory that most boards get retired for a time after a threshold score is reached. So if I top 700 or whatever the threshold is you won't see the board with my name as the leading scorer. I also used to occasionally play on mobile devices and swipe rather than type but I never do this anymore because I'm an even suckier swiper than typist

As lalatan mentions, it is still possible to occasionally come across one of a player's higher scoring boards so the board retirement theory isn't consistent. That's one thing I've yet to be able to figure out about this site. In a long session, sometimes I'll come across 20 or more boards where the high score is above 700 and other times I'll click through 200 games before I even see a single one.

And lalatan, thanks for the kind compliment--if you check my stats, finding long words is definitely not my strength and you're certainly one of the masters. I just happen to get lucky once in a while! But it was nice of you to mention one of my better finds..........

Kindest regards to all........

Russ

Last edited by RussDNails : 07-20-2018 at 01:36 PM.