Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 07-02-2018, 10:30 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddp View Post
Congratulations right back to you Spike1007! Getting the average points trophy takes a lot of patience and a fair amount of self control passing up new best or longest words cause they're not quite good enough. Something I failed to do about a half dozen times. I did surprise myself with my final average since I hadn't planned on competing. I was going to spend the month just looking for words worth 12pts and up but after the 2nd day with an almost 30pt average decided to keep going.

And congrats to you Lalatan! 15,000 best and/or longest is a massive achievement!!
I've gotten better with the self-control thing. There have been times in the past when I've accepted words when I especially liked them, but I'm more or less over that. My general rules are to play any board with at least 2 9+ ultra-rare words, and take anything new I find over my threshold. (Currently 30 points.) I'll also play any board with an existing word that could raise my average. However, I have to admit to doing some clicking earlier in the month (& usually later in the day while watching TV) when I'd seek out these existing long words to try to raise my average. Without that, my guess is that you'd have beaten me.

Also, lalatan, I add my congratulations to your records (plus or minus a few elf points).
Old 07-02-2018, 11:03 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
lalatan, as far as I know, Windows writes stuff to the hard drive every time it shuts down. My guess is that was where the "bad sector" thing happened, and not during the time it was shut down. (Of course, if I believed the ghost-hunting shows, maybe some otherworld entity roamed around your place during your absence, throwing out a bunch of stray EMF crap that screwed with your drive.) Then again, I'm not sure how stable drives are. You wouldn't think that you'd be able to let one sit for 100 years & still be readable. Some small percentage of the time, some might just go bad within a few days. Maybe you just got "lucky."
You could be right about that happening on shutdown; only explanation for it. My last WDC hdd lasted 6 years. This one only 2 years. As you say, that's the way it goes w electronics.

Spike and pdiddp, thanks for the congrats!
Old 07-03-2018, 08:16 AM

I did succumb to the self-control thing today, but redeemed myself somewhat. I saw -MIMETIC & wanted something to go with it. I saw & tried PATHOMIMETIC. No luck. Then I found SYMPATHOMIMETIC, which (to my surprise) worked. Only 28 points, but I liked it, since it seemed unusual & I'd never seen it before. I was debating on whether or not to keep it when I saw & tried PARASYMPATHOMIMETIC. That worked too, for 36 points. I kept the pair.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 07-03-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:02 PM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

That was some great word crafting, Spike!

Some words I found recently that II don't recall playing before:
COUNTERSUBJECTS
DECASUALIZATIONS
SUBSIDIARINESSES
PALEOMAGNETISMS
HOUSEWIFELINESSES
LONGHEADEDNESSES
NEWFANGLENESS
(The last 3 gave me a laugh after I played them and saw they were valid.)

Last edited by lalatan : 07-06-2018 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:00 AM

lalatan, thanks! Sometimes (with the help of a little stubbornness) things kind of fall into place. More often, they don't.

I've gotten three of your words (in some form or another) before, and was also surprised that they worked. I don't think I'd have guessed HOUSEWIFELINESSES or the first three on your list. Good going!