Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > The Boo Yeah Corner

Old 05-05-2018, 08:10 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by twice4 View Post
What an honor to find a thread with two of WordTwist's most distinguished disentanglers, whose shadows I routinely fail to escape. How heartening it is to know that even the best admit to guessing from time to time. My "guessword" was TELICALLY. Hardly a point-buster, it was tops for a time. It taught me a new word, meaning "writing with the ending in mind," which I now do. Adieu.
Thanks for your kind words, twice4. We are 2 of the chattiest posters so our stuff is all over the place in this forum. You made a nice find there; never heard of it before.
Enjoy the word hunt.

Last edited by lalatan : 05-05-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:55 AM

Spike1007 has received several accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by twice4 View Post
What an honor to find a thread with two of WordTwist's most distinguished disentanglers, whose shadows I routinely fail to escape. How heartening it is to know that even the best admit to guessing from time to time. My "guessword" was TELICALLY. Hardly a point-buster, it was tops for a time. It taught me a new word, meaning "writing with the ending in mind," which I now do. Adieu.
Like lalatan says, thanks for your kind words. As he also said (in other words) we do tend to be scribacious. (See an earlier post somewhere, relating to another word I guessed at.) TELICALLY is a good find. A lot of what we do is more or less wordcraftsmanship (although I doubt if that's a real word), but some is just guessing.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 05-05-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike1007 View Post
As he also said (in other words) we do tend to be scribacious. (See an earlier post somewhere, relating to another word I guessed at.)
I would say that statement is irrefragible. (Your post about SCRIBACIOUSNESSES is at the top of the previous page in this thread.)

Last edited by lalatan : 05-05-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalatan View Post
Well, I'll be dogged... Haha, I thought exactly the same thing as you about PERSNICKETY. Ironically, I played that board and noticed -nicket- but discarded it because of the lack of an s. Nice find and thanks for the lesson.

Update: I just googled both words and the Google(?) dictionary definition that pops up for PERNICKETY is: British term for persnickety.
The definition for PERSNICKETY is the North American version.
And thanks for the lesson on PERSNICKETY/PERNICKETY. The definitions I saw (snobbish vs. fussy) could be seen as close. Anyway, those are among words you rarely see or hear, so you never know if you have them right. Not long ago, I got FLIBBERTYGIBBITY, but I was thinking that it should be FLIBBERTYGIBBERTY. (Again, I was just trying to get closest to what I thought it was & working with what was available.)
Old 05-06-2018, 07:17 AM

During my late night session yesterday, I had identified GENETICALLY but didn't seem to have anything else to join it with. (There were all vowels clustered around the g.) The only prefix I could play was pedo- and it worked for 20 pts! To my surprise, PEDOGENETIC (-cally and -cal were invalid) has nothing to do with biology:
pedogenesis. (pěd'ə-jěn'ĭ-sĭs) The process whereby soil forms from unconsolidated rocks
Old 05-23-2018, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

A word that seems straightforward enough that I might have known it, but it felt like I was just "collecting syllables" while searching for longer words: RADIOTELEMETRIC (28 pts.) Worth 2 new records, yay!
Old 06-18-2018, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Here's a word that I definitely didn't expect to work:
SYNARTHRODIALLY (28 pts.)

I was just swiping this way and that, "collecting" syllables to see which of the leftover letters might make a real word out of it.
You know how sometimes you try out an "unlikely" word, but once you've typed it and it got accepted, it seems fairly logical? When this one got accepted, I guffawed, read it a couple more times and went "Nope, still doesn't look like a real word."
Lexic.us didn't even have a definition for it. However, it seems to have something to do with anatomy, something about skull joints. Whatever.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:49 AM

That's a great word! (It does show up on lexic.us without the final -LY.) I've made up some strange words (and sometimes they work), but I'm pretty sure I'd never have guessed that. Maybe I can try to remember it for future use...

I decided that it might look slightly more word like if the I were moved to just before the D.

Last edited by Spike1007 : 06-19-2018 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate View Post
Here's a word that I definitely didn't expect to work:
SYNARTHRODIALLY (28 pts.)

I was just swiping this way and that, "collecting" syllables to see which of the leftover letters might make a real word out of it.
You know how sometimes you try out an "unlikely" word, but once you've typed it and it got accepted, it seems fairly logical? When this one got accepted, I guffawed...
That's some fine word crafting kate! Doesn't sound like real word to me either. The medical and scientific words can be really weird.

Hahaa, it's funny that I have the same reactions you described when I find such a word.

Yesterday I played a board where the best word record was 36 pts. I usually have no problem finding those but only could piece together HYROXYBUTY. So I submitted the game and took a zero to see what he found. POLYHYDROXYBUTYRATES How could anyone know that w/o being a chemist? Even by stringing together syllables that would be a tough one to construct.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:16 PM

F3K1HR is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha! As someone with some chemistry in my background I find POLYHYDROXYBUTYRATES a hell of a lot more comprehensible than SYNARTHRODIALL. I always hated biology...