Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > FAQs and Help Area

Old 04-24-2018, 03:30 AM

Welar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New player

I'm a new player to the website and I think I'm missing something. No matter what I do (even using boggle solving tools) I struggle to hit the average mark. Is there a strategy I'm missing? Am I really that bad? I Just don't understand how some people are getting 500+ points when I struggle to get 150+. Is this a website of die hard boggle players?
Old 04-24-2018, 05:01 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

The only thing you're missing is practice. I thought I was a really GOOD Boggle player when I started, and it took weeks for me to beat the average score on any board that had been played even ten times. It was months before I could beat the average score most of the time, and I didn't set the high score on a board that had been played more than a few times until I'd played for nearly a year. Some of the players here are incredibly good, and if you want to trace back some of the postings here, you can see them actually typing in the words and setting high score marks. Very few of us can type 90 wpm while finding words in a boggle grid, but some of the guys here can.

If you check my average, I'm about 500 points. There are a whole lot of players far better than me. I think I've probably just about topped out. I will become a better typist and a little faster, and I will learn more words and get higher scores, but I think it's extremely unlikely I will ever average more than 600 points on a 5 x 5 board. Younger players can increase their speed more than I can and will learn and use more of the uncommon words that build high scores. Just don't get discouraged and don't EVER think that the high scores are the result of cheating. There are cheats around, but they're obvious -- no one can type 300 wpm, for example. You just can't do it physically. And there are players who have put up results like that, some of whom have admitted to cheating with automated game play. But not guys like fasteddieb, Megaword, RussDNails, guys like that. They're all legit. Me, too, but someday you'll beat me. Maybe regularly.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:05 AM

erakis17 is on the road to greatness

Yes, I'm afraid there are some die-hard boggle players here. You should feel proud if you're reaching the average mark as a new player.

Honestly, when I try playing at another site, the weirdest things slow me down. Stuff like the size and font of the board. Even without any special methods to improve, greater familiarity with this particular game format will help. You'll surely creep higher with time, if you get addicted like the rest of us.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:08 AM

DonGuy47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to give you some idea of the volume of practice we're talking about, I've played very roughly 200,000 games of Boggle online ("only" around 10,000 games here). And I'm probably not among the 50 best players here, or among the 50 people who have Boggled the most.

Just from playing "live" games with friends and family, I thought I was an excellent player -- never beaten. Then the internet was invented. First Boggle site I found online, I routinely got my scores TRIPLED! What a culture shock that was! Now that I've practiced hundreds of thousands of times, and also practiced typing, and made and studied word lists, the best players sometimes don't even double my scores, woohoo!
Old 06-16-2018, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

mdyak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We're not all playing the same game

Welcome to the Newbie! I'll echo what everyone has said about practice, AND also be aware that we're not all choosing to play the same game here. Going for highest score and/or most words is really different from going for longest word and best word. There's no way my arthritic hands are going to ever match typing speed with someone a lot younger and more physically skillful, but looking for best words and longest words is a lot of fun and much easier. If you look at each months scores, you'll see for the most part it's a different set of folks winning at one from the other.

Also it took me a while to realize I could just click on through a lot of (for me) boring games and get to the ones that are loaded with long words. You may find there's a particular game configuration that is most fun for you - play those and forget the rest.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:45 AM

bobert is an unknown quantity at this point

I would also add that like most things, *how* you practice can make a big difference in how quickly you improve. Mdyak made the point that different people are optimizing for different goals - word length, speed, total score in a month, etc. You can optimize your practice depending on how you chose to play. For example, you might ignore small words to try to find longer words, learn more of the rare or ultra rare words that get you more points, or skip boards until you find one with the statistics you like (a lot of words, a lot of long words, etc.).

In general, looking at the words you didn't get can be very instructive. As I'm more optimized for speed personally, I'm constantly trying to find groupings of letters that tend to produce combinations of sometimes lower-point-total words (like, say, SEAT, SETA, SATE, ATES, EAST, EATS, TEAS) that can allow me to look for other words/combinations while I'm typing out all of the words in the first combination. Prefixes and suffixes can also help. Learning a lot of the rare or ultra-rare words will get you more points. Understanding patterns of how words are assembled can also help you get creative in making educated guesses on words you (and the world) have never heard of, but exist in this particular dictionary.

I think there are several threads on the forum that talk about tips from some of the truly great players.

wordtwist.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1027
wordtwist.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1129

Good luck, and happy playing!

Last edited by bobert : 06-19-2018 at 11:08 AM. Reason: more information! links to previous threads and all...