Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > General Chit Chat

Old 06-12-2018, 03:12 AM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Club of people who spot a word just as time runs out.

The game was otherwise unremarkable, until right at the end when I spotted "determinablenesses". Partway through typing, I realized there was an "un" I could have put at the start for more points. I typed as fast as I could to finish, then began typing the better word. I got halfway through when the game ended.

One more thing: I would swear that a thread with this name or a very similar one exists and is still active somewhere. But I looked through all the forum categories and couldn't find it anywhere.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:47 AM

erakis17 is on the road to greatness

Nice find, and almost-find. I have an approximately zero chance of typing correctly under the pressure of finding a long word as time runs out. I need at least something like 20 seconds, not because it takes so long to type the word, but so I don't get panicky and put in typo after typo.

The thread you were looking for is hanging out in the bragging forum, which is kind of funny, but also at least half-appropriate:
[url]http://www.wordtwist.org/forum/showthread.php?t=493[/url]

(looks like links may have been disabled to avoid spam, but you can cut&paste)

Last edited by erakis17 : 06-12-2018 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:04 AM

John13verse34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by erakis17 View Post
I have an approximately zero chance of typing correctly under the pressure of finding a long word as time runs out.
same here. sometimes i'll actually stop looking at the board with 10 or 15 seconds left, just so i don't go through the frustration of mistyping a great last-second find :-)
Old 06-12-2018, 05:32 AM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Since I'm a long word seeker I run into this problem almost daily. Sometimes I get it in at the last second and sometimes I miss by a second. If I spot something good with little time left, I try to calm myself as I type in the word to avoid typos. (But, sometimes I can't stay calm either.) Today I typed REACTIVENESSES and stayed calm. Then I noticed I misspelled it, freaked out and missed getting it in on time. Lol, oh well, onto the next game...

Last edited by lalatan : 06-12-2018 at 05:38 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:17 AM

bwt, yesterday I took on a board where you held all the records: 513 pts, 96 words, 20/11 best/word. I thought I'd see if I could better your 20/11 even though it's fairly high. I played MISTINESSES for 20. I fixated too long on the -nesses and failed to notice MILITARISMS until the last few seconds. I got it in though! 20 pts. So I failed to better you. When I looked at the board after it submitted I saw I could have played ANTIMILITARISMS. So it's still there for you, me or anyone else.

I have to say I was impressed by your skills: entering a word every 2 seconds and even finding longer words too.

P.S. Today I spotted ALLERGORICALNESSES w <15 seconds to go. So I calmed myself and got it in on time w 4 seconds to spare.

Last edited by lalatan : 06-14-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:25 PM

bwt1213 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lalatan: Thank you for the compliments. I have to admit that I am also impressed with your word finding skills; back when I routinely tried to find long words and high point words I rarely managed to better what you had done. You really are a good player! What I am amazed by (as well) are the people who regularly manage to get high average scores AND high average points per word at the same time. I do try to do that, but you can look at the players and find quite a number who average well over 5 points per word AND more than 500 points per game. I just barely manage to hang on to both, but I'm talking about people who average 5.5 points per word and around 520 or more points per game. A lot of them don't post messages, but I hope they read this and know I look up at them with respect, too. You and Spike and the other high-point mavens play a different game, but in my opinion not an easier one by any means. I'm glad you get the recognition you deserve, and I enjoy seeing the words you find. Once in a while, I'll run into one, too. Just not as often as you do!
Old 06-16-2018, 08:34 AM

bwt: I appreciate your compliments.

The speed players here are simply amazing! I never could have conceived that hands, eyes and mind could manage to crank out 1 word/second or more for 3 minutes. They all certainly have my admiration.

I started out in 2014 here as ibme54, a "speed" player in 4x4 (at least I was way faster than anyone I played the board game with). Compared to the speedsters here I was a slowpoke. I tried increasing my typing speed w limited success. So to get higher scores, I focused on playing more valuable words. 1 month I forced myself to only play words worth >6 pts. It improved my scores. I started to get interested in finding long words after seeing there was trophy for avg pts/word. Tendinitis in my hands and forearm pain had bothered me while I worked. So it was also a way to play Boggle with less typing and a decreased chance of RSI's.

Last year as thinkbig I started competing exclusively for trophies. I won some 1st places in 4x4 and then tried 5x5. I liked the spacious boards and longer words. I started winning 1st place there too. I switched over to playing only 5x5, except for 4x4 trophies, last year. In the last few months I started playing only for records (not points) as lalatan.

So that's how I wound up where I am now. I'm somewhat surprised by my success at times but also know I've devoted a lot of time, practice and study to be where I'm at. I think I'm still improving too.

Last edited by lalatan : 06-16-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

fasteddieb is an unknown quantity at this point

It's funny how that works. I experienced something similar. I used to play tangleword at lycos over 10 years ago. They had different rooms where multiple players played. I went to the minimum 6 letter room because I wanted to get better at finding longer words. That's where I improved at finding prefixes and suffixes. I got to the point where 4 letters felt too short and boring and did exclusively 6 letter boards.
When lycos stopped doing tangleword I came here and had to relearn playing 4 letter words. If wordtwist starting offering a minimum 6 letter set of boards, even now I would rather play those boards. Finding long words is definitely more enjoyable.