Go Back   Wordtwist Forums > Wordtwist.org Discussion > FAQs and Help Area

Old 04-10-2016, 05:21 PM

DrPlacebo is on the road to greatness

The new board generation algorithm actually makes it much easier to find long words, in that it often guarantees an extremely long word. At some point you start to suspect that a certain word is there without even seeing all the letters. The way I found BUCKMINSTERFULLERENES the other day was by first seeing FULLERENES, then noticing that BUCK was elsewhere on the board, and just wildly guessing that the middle of the word would connect.

(My "in" on long words is having had my undergrad major in biochemistry.)
Old 04-11-2016, 04:51 AM

ebor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seems strange

What seems odd to me is that some people can apparently go for only the longest word and miss - or not have time for - any other related words, mainly of the type that I would have found first in order to work up to that long word. As an example, I just played a game where my longest word was irritations. I noted that that tied the previous longest word, also irritations. The odd thing was that I had previously written both irritate and irritation, but the green indicated that I was the only one who had found those words. Just seems strange to go directly to irritations without noting irritate and irritation. I guess I just have to work up to the longer word gradually.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:14 AM

dtbc33 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think Megawords' scores are legit either, but it is possible that he/she is just that good, so lacking evidence I have chosen to keep quiet. Not because I fear angering anyone (I never comment on the forums anyways), but because I don't think it's fair to call anyone out for anything unless you can offer valid evidence.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:48 PM

Troglodyte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Example of cheating

If someone gets a stinking long word like "obstinatenesses" but never typed "obstinate," then you know it was a cheater. They wasted time putting all the letters into a boggle-solving program on another computer, and they only had time to type in one long word before time was up. We tried it ONCE and that's how it turned out. Then we decided it was NO FUN TO CHEAT. We try for long words, the fair way, but don't care about the score anymore because of the cheaters.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

Brisul is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbc33 View Post
I don't think Megawords' scores are legit either, but it is possible that he/she is just that good, so lacking evidence I have chosen to keep quiet. Not because I fear angering anyone (I never comment on the forums anyways), but because I don't think it's fair to call anyone out for anything unless you can offer valid evidence.
He usually posts videos of his conquests, so it seems legit. I've never seen his hands typing, but I don't want to start being all cynical either.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
If someone gets a stinking long word like "obstinatenesses" but never typed "obstinate," then you know it was a cheater. They wasted time putting all the letters into a boggle-solving program on another computer, and they only had time to type in one long word before time was up.
Um, no. There are plenty of people going for long or high-scoring words only, and will purposely avoid typing common words like "obstinate" if a better option like "obstinatenesses" is available. That's how you get ridiculously high average points per word scores, but usually people going specifically for that statistic have a lower total score. I tried this method on the 5x5 boards once, avoiding low-scoring words, and I think I only found 2-3 words per game on average that month.

I was quick to accuse people of cheating when I first started playing here, but after a while I realised that people have wildly different playing styles and not everything is as implausible as it seems at first glance.

I would have thought Brisul's consistently high scores impossible as well, but since I've realised how hard he's trying for them, I've started admiring him for his efforts instead of resenting him.

Personally, since I started playing this game, I've improved from a 20-word average on 4x4 to a 80wpg average this month, breaking 100 words and 500 points a few times, which I would have thought impossible a year ago, even more so since I can't type well and only use the swiping function. But just playing the game regularly means improving because you'll learn certain words and patterns without realizing.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

pdiddp has received several accolades

Just to echo CrazyKate, last month I was keeping my average points-per-word as high as I could hoping to win one of the top three spots. I would look for boards that had, or looked like they might have, a word that was high scoring and then spend the entire three minutes looking for that one long word.

If I found one like say OBNOXIOUSNESSES, I would not swipe in the shorter versions (obnoxious, obnoxiousness) since those would have dropped my average instead of maintaining or raising it.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:42 AM

dannyb is on the road to greatness

Lay off MegaWord. MegaWord is the Babe Ruth of WordTwist. Watch the vids that MegaWord has posted and then just say, "Wow!"
Old 04-08-2017, 05:51 AM
Premium Member

crazykate is on the road to greatness

I can absolutely understand why you'd suspect a lot of the top players here of cheating if you're new to WordTwist. I presume that most people who find this game are familiar with Boggle and like playing that, and may even be quite good at it, yet they don't get very high scores here while the scores of the better players seem impossibly high. But the games aren't exactly the same, and playing on a computer or phone instead of pencil and paper means a different pace. When playing Boggle with my family, we also had a rule that while you may guess words, you had to look them up in the dictionary (we had a 3-volume Webster's dictionary for reference) and you had to have a vague idea of what it might mean. That meant mostly using words you were 100% certain of. That would cut my word count in half in this game!

In answer to the original question asked in this thread: it seems to me that it is obviously possible to cheat in this game, and people try it ever so often... But the elite players who are often suspected of cheating by people new to this game are actually just that good.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:38 PM

lalatan is on the road to greatness

Crazykate's words had a lot of wisdom in them and I agree with her. I've been playing on this Boggle game for 3 years now. I started out with my original user name of ibme54. I played mostly for high scores but just couldn't match the typing speed of the top players. (I maxed out at 42 wpm in my grade 10 typing class. lol) i only ever got over 400 once. Then I started having wrist troubles from swiping so much on my phone. I've always liked long words so i thought I'd focus on them and go at a slower pace. For the last year I've played with this user name and racked up many best and longest word records. I studied them, looked at the word list after every game. I regularly checked the best words people played for the current month and previous months.
So like crazykate said I've put a lot of effort into where I've gotten to so far and know I have to continue the effort to keep growing. Some probably think I'm cheating but don't know the time and effort I've spent. I definitely could cheat but I would know my records are tainted and I would be robbing myself of the joy of the hunt. So I don't.